Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Osnofaac

Arena classification - tiebreaker

Post by Osnofaac »

Hi everyone,

does anyone know how the arena orders people in case of 2 players having the same arena score?

I am currently 1st in Carcassone arena, however last night viv- (currently 2nd) played an arena game and won and got the same arena score as me. This morning i checked and he was 1st and I was second, as a result of that win.
He has not played any game since then (this morning) and I have played several casual games. After playing a few casual games I was ready to hop in and go for an arena game, when I notice I was first...

Nothing changed, arena wise. Neither me or him played any arena games. I played a few casual games only. Don't quite see a reason for arena score be somehow impacted by casual games.

anyone with some insight on this matter?

thank you!
frogstar_A

Re: Arena classification - tiebreaker

Post by frogstar_A »

I can't explain this

However one thing to realise is that although arena scores are shown to the nearest whole number behind the scenes more decimal places are stored, so whilst you both appear to have 1969 points in reality it may be that you have 1969.2 and he has 1969.1 or something

However that should not change unless one of you actually plays an arena game
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Maybe ELO is used as a tiebreaker? That would explain why victories in casual games had an effect.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

It could be that, at least for Arena scores, BGA accounts for subsequent changes in its estimate of opponents' skill level.

For example, if it turns out that player A's opponents are significantly stronger than previously thought, then player A's score gets revised upward.

If it in fact does this, then the ranking change could've been due to an arena game by at least one of the opponents of you two.
(Such games could've changed the order of your arena scores despite not changing the integer that your arena scores show as.)
Osnofaac

Post by Osnofaac »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 05 December 2022, 17:10 Maybe ELO is used as a tiebreaker? That would explain why victories in casual games had an effect.
viv- is the worlds number 1 in carcassone elo and he is still 2nd in the arena classification. The elo is not taken into account here, it seems.
Osnofaac

Post by Osnofaac »

Gulchen wrote: 05 December 2022, 17:47 It could be that, at least for Arena scores, BGA accounts for subsequent changes in its estimate of opponents' skill level.

For example, if it turns out that player A's opponents are significantly stronger than previously thought, then player A's score gets revised upward.

If it in fact does this, then the ranking change could've been due to an arena game by at least one of the opponents of you two.
(Such games could've changed the order of your arena scores despite not changing the integer that your arena scores show as.)
Hm, that is an interesting possibility. however, it seems really a tough one to confirm :s
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

Osnofaac wrote: 05 December 2022, 18:29
Gulchen wrote: 05 December 2022, 17:47 ...
Hm, that is an interesting possibility. however, it seems really a tough one to confirm :s
Yes. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ For what it's worth, due to BGA's lack of response to the tournament-tiebreaker threads and this thread,
my guess is that it's actually, ​ ​ ​ whatever was easiest to program, even if that's not consistent between calls ​ .

Return to “Discussions”