Request for a rundown of game options

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SwanseaStephen

Request for a rundown of game options

Post by SwanseaStephen »

Hi, I am excited to learn this game. Will dive into the rules and all, but wanted to see if someone experienced with the game would mind doing a quick overview of the different game options so that we can have an idea of what changes the options bring at a glance. Thanks in advance!
TheReeve

Re: Request for a rundown of game options

Post by TheReeve »

Let's look at the options:

Game Length (Standard v Extended): The game significantly changes when you move from Standard to Extended. With the Standard game, you will likely only have about 10 turns to do everything you need to do (you will lose at least one turn to a PASS and another to a servant HIRE action). You will feel a certain pressure to make each turn count. During Standard play, you want to ALWAYS have in mind the National Holiday turn, and you should purchase a powerful 5th or 6th level tile in Season 2 to prepare for that turn. The quality of your Holiday may be the difference between victory and defeat. Also, try to have money on hand for when you PASS or HIRE; it is a much better use of a turn to finish each of those with a good acquisition from the market. I recommend starting with a STANDARD game, but soon you will move the EXTENDED game and likely not go back. In Extended play, you have time to build up several huge activities, which is more satisfying, and a mistake won't sink your game. But you are far more likely to get crushed by a veteran player who can leverage EXTENDED play to produce very high scores.

Starter Guest Draft: For your first few games, I wouldn't worry about the draft, but once established, I see no reason why you wouldn't always select this. It allows you to manage both favour and gender distribution of your early hand, which is important. There are a number of lady-specific activities early (PARLOUR, FLOWER ROOM, CONSERVATORY, HYBRID TILES, RETIRING ROOM) and a more gentlemen-specific ones late (SMOKING ROOM is early, but BILLIARDS, CRICKET, NORTH LIBRARY late). I always try to get an additional invitation favour when drafting as a thin gentry deck can spell doom.

Intensive Service: I ALWAYS recommend Intensive Service because the best part of tile engine building is the SERVICE engine IMO. A game that sees few SERVICE tiles is a sad game. :(

Courtship: I recommend CLOSED early because you are learning and you can focus on building out your full estate. Once established, I find the DICKENS variant (the theme is revealed during a random round in any given season) to be the most enjoyable. OPEN courtship maximizes information if you are averse to surprises. Keep in mind there are two of every theme card.

Market Churn: Highly recommended. I endorse Queen Victoria to keep things moving (the cheapest tile is flushed after every round). I do think doing both Queen Victoria and Emily Bronte (new market every season) at once is a bit chaotic, but each to his own.

Friendly: I recommend this if your group is at all averse to 'take that' actions. There are not many in Obsession (you can steal servants and reduce reputation through gossip via the SERVANTS HALL or attack cards).

Wessex: No reason not to use the Wessex expansion every game. It gives another family option and has no downside.

Hope that helps!

Dan
SwanseaStephen

Post by SwanseaStephen »

That is an awesome overview, from the designer nonetheless! Thank you very much. Really looking forward to trying this one out :)
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

Your request is a good one. I see so many people playing without a market churn at low player counts. Hopefully others will pop in an read.
marta_night

Post by marta_night »

That’s super helpful, thank you! I’m just starting out, but the game looks amazing, and I love the theme!
Jontia

Post by Jontia »

What is intensive service?

Return to “Obsession”