Abuse of kickout

Discuss about anything!
Polgara75

Abuse of kickout

Post by Polgara75 »

Hi, I recently noticed that some players, if they are losing, wait for a player to time out a few seconds and kick them off. That way they don't lose ELO. I know it's my fault if I go out of time, but I think it's a suspicious and incorrect attitude.
In my opinion the functionality is correct but it is misused if used only after one or two second.
janess_bonus

Re: Abuse of kickout

Post by janess_bonus »

It also happens for turn-based games, when they feel like they are losing, they will purposely kick you out. Agree that players exceeding the time limit should bear responsibility, but rather than saying it's the imperfection of BGA, it's more like morality and personality of players...so...inevitable. And btw saw some players will try their best to report others for any reasons after they lose, dunno why as well...
voriki

Post by voriki »

If you have a 2 minute(example) turn, then you have 2 minutes. If you wanted a 5 second grace period, then BGA wouod not have set the time limite at 2 minutes, but 2 minutes AND 5 seconds. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and that is the turn time limit.

Imagine you have an actual turn time of 1 minute and 55 seconds, with an additional grace period of 5 seconds.
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

As soon as you are even 1 second over your alotted time limit, the other player is entitled to kick you and claim victory (if they choose to). Instead of complaining about your opponents bumping you off for not respecting the time limit, you should be thankful BGA does not automatically make you lose as soon as your time is expired, which is what happens in competitive OTB play.
Col Rosenberg

Post by Col Rosenberg »

My view is that I don't win/loss anything by playing here so I would prefer having rating that reflected my actual skill level (and everyone else's), so that I could participate in challenging and interesting matches between people at roughly the same level.

I don't see how making a move and crossing your fingers your opponent is busy so that he cannot finish the game helps in that respect.
megamau

Post by megamau »

My view is that I don't win/loss anything by playing here so I would prefer having rating that reflected my actual skill level (and everyone else's), so that I could participate in challenging and interesting matches between people at roughly the same level.

I don't see how making a move and crossing your fingers your opponent is busy so that he cannot finish the game helps in that respect.
The point is that time-management is part of your skill level.
We are all much stronger thinking 1 day per move rather than 1 second per move.
If you find you are timing out very often, just play with a longer time-control.
Col Rosenberg

Post by Col Rosenberg »

The point is that time-management is part of your skill level
If this is the case then why doesn't BGA automatically make you lose as soon as your time is expired, instead of giving the other player that option?
Maria Vas

Post by Maria Vas »

After hitting a "kickout" button the player still has 20 seconds to make a turn. And a very noticable sound effect of time running out.
It's not immediate, so you still have plenty of time to do something.
bonsaimarsorange

Post by bonsaimarsorange »

I agree that this is a suspicious and incorrect attitude. It is unfair to use a feature like this for the sole purpose of avoiding a loss. It gives the player an advantage and is exploiting the game mechanics. I think that the functionality should remain, as it can be useful in certain situations, but players should be more mindful of their opponents' time and be respectful of their need to play the game without these kinds of tactics.

Return to “Off-topic”