Players conceding just a few moves left when they know they are going to win

Discuss about anything!
mjaeca

Players conceding just a few moves left when they know they are going to win

Post by mjaeca »

I really feel that players that quit with just a few moves left are very rude. I understand if you reach the 50% mark and there is no way to make up this is acceptable. Wish they could be penalized for this, now I get penalized because I called them out
Sheba-leila

Re: Players conceding just a few moves left when they know they are going to win

Post by Sheba-leila »

Ich finde es auch unhöflich das Spiel aufzugeben. Ich möchte wieder wie es früher war das man zustimmen muß. Sollte es wirklich ein Notfall sein geht die Welt nicht unter wenn man 10 karmapunkte verliert. Nach 60 Tagen sieht man nichts mehr davon und es sind 10 Spiele dann hat man wieder 100%. Deshalb verstehe ich die Option nicht. Von mir gibt es für die Spieler einen roten Daumen. Was anderes kann man nicht machen.
Leard

Re: Players conceding just a few moves left when they know they are going to win

Post by Leard »

Why would you respond to an English post in German?
Jkline

Post by Jkline »

Warum sollten Sie auf einen deutschen Beitrag auf Englisch antworten?
nccc

Post by nccc »

U got penalized? Did u curse?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

We need the translate button back.
I have a feeling that promise left with Een.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

Why was there such a necrobump on this in the first place? lol.

Honestly, conceding before you lose is an amazing thing to do. If you see the game is already over, feel free to concede, it's the best thing you can do. It lets everyone get to playing a new game quicker where things aren't already determined. When I'm playing a game, I came here to play my opponent, not just watch the pieces move around. If the part where any serious decisions have already been made and the outcome is decided, I see no reason to just watch us go through the motions of wrapping it up.
Niall

Post by Niall »

I have a completely different opinion on this the previous poster.

For me, a lot of the joy of board gaming comes from the process, not the outcome. Particularly in an engine-building euro game, where after you establish a great engine, it is great fun to run it and play the game through to the end, maybe even go for a new high score. When the opponent concedes, it can feel like your sandcastle has been kicked over. The fun ends and any chance of a high score is taken away. It also brings down your average stats in the game, which I know a lot of players like to track and take pride in. A lot of games (like Race for the Galaxy, where I see a lot of conceding) don’t even go on for long after the outcome is decided! Why not just play it out?

I can see the benefit in a game like chess, where I think the practice of conceding originated. It can be really dull and laborious to play through to an inevitable defeat, and there is no engine building - quite the opposite in fact.

Obviously the attitude around conceding varies greatly across gaming communities, and no one is right or wrong about it, but it’s good to respect the wishes of others. So please ask your opponent if they mind before you do it! They might not have the same opinion as you. Thanks.

Return to “Off-topic”