Bring back Turn Based "No Time Limit + Friends Only"

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
nik592

Re: Bring back Turn Based "No Time Limit + Friends Only"

Post by nik592 »

Oops, looks like this thread slipped off the first page. Putting in yet another request to have this setting reinstated.
jonto78

Post by jonto78 »

I totally miss the no time limit, without the traning mode.
Most of my friends are also missing this funcion, it is not only me.

So I am cheering for bringing back the NO TIME LIMIT, with friends.

The problem with "never ending games", can be solved by having a week limit to respond on cancelling a game. If the other player(s) don't repond in a week, then the game is cancelled, with no penalties.

Jonto
cigma

Post by cigma »

jonto78 wrote: 18 March 2023, 13:33 So I am cheering for bringing back the NO TIME LIMIT, with friends.
If you haven't done it yet, here you can vote for it: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=78071
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Janabis

Post by Janabis »

Depuis la disparition du "no time limit", le nombre de parties qui ne se finissent pas se développent par chez moi & cela en devient ... pénible.
A chaque fois que je rencontre de nouvelles personnes désormais, je leur demande ce qu'ils en pensent. Si certains s'en foutent royalement, la très grande majorité (quasi tout le monde) s'en plaignent allègrement, mais je n'en ai rencontré AUCUN qui m'ait dit que sa disparition était une bonne chose.
Windrisen

Post by Windrisen »

As a rough translation...
Janabis wrote: 21 March 2023, 12:28 Since the disappearance of the "no time limit", the number of games that don't end is growing for me & it becomes ... painful.
Every time I meet new people now, I ask them what they think. If some don't give a damn about it, the vast majority (almost everyone) complain happily, but I haven't met ANYONE who told me that his disappearance was a good thing.
Sorry if the auto-translate didn't work right - but I think the I get gist of what you are saying here.

You don't think anybody is happy about it, and in theory, this community and the BGA business model WANTS happy customers. And this is such an easy thing to roll back - just put it back like it was - No Time Limit, Friends Only, Turn Based Games, with the auto-delete after 30 days, and no exceptions for people who want out early.

Why WOULDN'T you want your customers to be happy, especially if it this easy to just make us happy?

Meanwhile, still on the front page, still no response other than copy-pasta from the site admins.

How will this end? Are we supposed to simply give up?

What will it take?
marta_night

Post by marta_night »

I used to spend hours on BGA, now I barely play anymore. Have 2 turn-based games pending with my friends and waiting for the year to finish to cancel premium. I really can't wrap my head around the fact that so many players are being treated with such disdain by the site managers :( I used to love you BGA, to the extent of gifting Premium :(
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

marta_night wrote: 23 March 2023, 16:10 I used to spend hours on BGA, now I barely play anymore. Have 2 turn-based games pending with my friends and waiting for the year to finish to cancel premium. I really can't wrap my head around the fact that so many players are being treated with such disdain by the site managers :( I used to love you BGA, to the extent of gifting Premium :(
Sorry, but how can not having Elo be the decisive factor for not liking BGA anymore? That's crazy to me. I get that it annoys you but if Elo was such a big factor in having fun on this site, then you may better indeed leave the site.

BTW: With some minor annoying side effects, you can still easily play for Elo with your friends. Why do people care so much about these time penalities that actually do not matter? And you can disable sound if the ticking sound after time ran out annoys you.

So basically, the functionalities that people want are all still there, they are just a little less convenient than before.
Windrisen

Post by Windrisen »

I disagree.

The feature we are asking is - to simply return things to the way they were before.

That's it. Friends Only, No Time Limit, Turn-Based Games, just like we had before.

It doesn't really matter why we've spent this much time and energy asking for this.

In my opinion, the only relevant point is that we used to have this, and we want it back again.

Just put it back. You personally may not care, but clearly the rest of us do.

We used to like BGA because we could play this way, and we liked it, and now we can't, and the site admins refuse to discuss this with us, or even better, roll it back like it was before.

We are at 226 responses, and 11k views of this discussion. I see one or two discussions getting this much attention, but they are few and far between.

I, too, plan on cancelling my premium membership when it expires, and I, too, have gifted premium memberships to several people, and invited lots of people to come here and play.

BGA clearly made me happy. Now it doesn't.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

dschingis27 wrote: 23 March 2023, 18:04 Why do people care so much about these time penalities that actually do not matter?
If they don't matter, then why are they applied at all? They matter to some. Sometimes, they matter to me, though not on my own friends accounts generally, but I do look at them on others. There should be a way to play without being penalised when no one else at the table cares how long you take between moves. I don't get why time limits are a relevant factor in determining if ELO should apply to a game (and as you mention, if you accept the time penalties, it isn't).
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 In my opinion, the only relevant point is that we used to have this, and we want it back again.
Welcome to life. Things don't always go like you want them to be.
Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 We used to like BGA because we could play this way, and we liked it, and now we can't, and the site admins refuse to discuss this with us, or even better, roll it back like it was before.
Ok, if you are that annoyed by such a minor change, I am just a little shocked by this.
Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 BGA clearly made me happy. Now it doesn't.
Sorry, but it's really extremely hard to understand why.

Return to “Discussions”