Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Ze Monstah

Re: Bring back Turn Based "No Time Limit + Friends Only"

Post by Ze Monstah »

Fletcheese wrote: 10 May 2023, 20:09
Ze Monstah wrote: 10 May 2023, 19:25
Fletcheese wrote: 10 May 2023, 17:52 There most definitely has been a response by admins. You can say you do not like this response, but it does exist.
I think most of the people here, are/were aware of the existence of that response.
By "no response", I think they meant "not a common ground response".

I am not sure how going literal after 6 days of silence in this thread, is helping anyone.

And really... with almost 26 pages of complaints... I am amazed that this issue wasn't brought back yet, since it's not supposed to be such a great deal (unless for other unknown reasons).
Can you describe succinctly why the admin's response is not acceptable? I genuinely do not understand. Is it specifically the last part about playing for ELO with unlimited time? Everything else is still possible on the platform just in slightly different ways as outlined in the post.
I am not personally affected by this thing, I don't PERSONALLY care, but I try to be empathic.
As I see it: a person gave an example of a library program that was dependent on that setting that was eliminated; they simply say they want real time with no time limit.
Also, turn-based with no time limit, is also impossible as we speak. You can at most play 1 move/2 days; which for some, is not possible sometimes, in an ELO-game.
You can check the replies for more examples, if you haven't yet.

Another problem with training games (I am not sure if it was addressed yet), is that when you play a training mode game (unlike a non-training normal one that you win: real-time or turn-based), the game is not taken as a victory, if you win it; but it is taken as a played game, once finished. So your % of wins in that game decreases by playing training mode games; even if you win all those games.
Someone should correct me if wrong, but last time I checked, it was like I just said above.

A lot of people (as you can probably see it) want this thing back... And the opinions are almost 100% unanimous, so it's not really a controversial issue.
I think you're the only one saying otherwise (or 1 of 2).

In my opinion, the huge number is enough and should have some power.

*And sorry, 'just noticed the "succinctly", but I don't think I can do "succinctly". 😇
Last edited by Ze Monstah on 11 May 2023, 00:03, edited 2 times in total.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

Ze Monstah wrote: 10 May 2023, 20:59 Another problem with training games (I am not sure if it was addressed yet), is that when you play a training mode game (unlike a non-training normal one that you win: real-time or turn-based), the game is not taken as a victory, if you win it; but it is taken as a played game, once finished. So your % of wins in that game decreases by playing training mode games; even if you win all those games.
Someone should correct me if wrong, but last time I checked, it was like I just said above.
No need for correcting. I just played a training game which I won: number of played games went +1, nr. of wins stayed the same.
I don't see this to be very... ok.

If players are advised to play Training Modes, instead of Real Time/Turn-Based No-Time-Limit Games, at least the Training Games should either not be taken into consideration at all and shouldn't count as +1 each, for the total nr. of games, or... should be taken into consideration, but the win should be considered +1, as well. Otherwise the win percentage (%) unfairly drops.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Ze Monstah wrote: 10 May 2023, 21:22 No need for correcting. I just played a training game which I won: number of played games went +1, nr. of wins stayed the same.
I don't see this to be very... ok.
Hmm, yeah, that seems not good, and gives me yet more incentive not to play in training mode.

There are various reasons people want this feature returned, but for me, succintly, I want the games I play with my RL friends to count for my ELO. However, I don't want my "not on BGA four times daily" friends to be penalised, cause life gets in the way, and they take 3 days between turns, twice in the course of the same game, and they end up with time-based penalties on their profile.
Nullzone

Post by Nullzone »

At this point I would at least understand a reply stating this would not be reverted or adjusted, whether or not I agree with the reason. The silence is deafening.
znajder

Post by znajder »

Fletcheese wrote: 10 May 2023, 20:09
Ze Monstah wrote: 10 May 2023, 19:25
Fletcheese wrote: 10 May 2023, 17:52 There most definitely has been a response by admins. You can say you do not like this response, but it does exist.
I think most of the people here, are/were aware of the existence of that response.
By "no response", I think they meant "not a common ground response".

I am not sure how going literal after 6 days of silence in this thread, is helping anyone.

And really... with almost 26 pages of complaints... I am amazed that this issue wasn't brought back yet, since it's not supposed to be such a great deal (unless for other unknown reasons).
Can you describe succinctly why the admin's response is not acceptable? I genuinely do not understand. Is it specifically the last part about playing for ELO with unlimited time? Everything else is still possible on the platform just in slightly different ways as outlined in the post.
I think one of the core issues with the admin's response is the claim that this change was made because "The problem with the players "trapped" in a game is a real thing". And whenever this point has been counter argued, the admins have just ghosted the conversation completely, which is where the comments about the admins not responding/ignoring the topic are coming from.
znajder wrote: 13 January 2023, 06:44
sourisdudesert wrote: 27 December 2022, 17:36
The possibility to be trapped however only existed in a real-time-setup of the game
Sorry, not true, there are both realtime and turn based tables concerned by the problem.
Hey sourisdudesert, would you care to answer the question I wrote in response to this, back in end of December. I assume it slipped under your radar, as it was posted in the middle of the holiday season. So here it is again, to make it easy for you to read and reply:
znajder wrote: 29 December 2022, 22:51
sourisdudesert wrote: 27 December 2022, 17:36

Sorry, not true, there are both realtime and turn based tables concerned by the problem.
Could you please explain in what way this is not true? And in what way players in a Turn Based table can be stuck, because I think a lot of us are failing to understand how this happening. Or perhaps phrased differently, what is your definition of "being stuck" in a Turn Based table?

If I launch a No Time Limit Turn Based game with a group of players, and one of them stop playing after a day..
* I will still be able to access all my other ongoing games to play those
* I will still receive notifications for when it is my turn in all my ongoing games
* I will still be able to create or join a real-time game to play
* I will still be able to create or join any number of other turn based games
* I will have the table automatically removed from my list of active tables after 40 days
* BGA staff does not need to take any action as the table is automatically removed after 40 days

As far as I can see, there is NO impact to my ability to use the full feature set of BGA during this 40 day time period.

In what way am I stuck?
In what way is the scenario above a concern for BGA?
And given that several people expressed an interest in understanding this (as you can see below), I'm sure will be appreciated that you take the time to actually explain this part of the reasoning which we're just not able to understand.
Philoupino wrote: 30 December 2022, 18:26
cigma wrote: 30 December 2022, 00:43

I've got the same questions.
I also have the same questions...
LoudLibrarian

Post by LoudLibrarian »

This is so ridiculous! They should bring it back as the majority of us are unhappy
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Choosing not to react at all surely isn't proper customer service. I guess we can only keep on spamming this thread.
Nullzone

Post by Nullzone »

Well now we know why nobody cared to address this lol.

Disappointed but not surprised. Glad I already cancelled my premium
cigma

Post by cigma »

Have you read the Goodbye of sourisdudesert? https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30848

He wrote:
"A specific social organization is not going very well at the moment: representative democracy.
I have created a new mobile app, Baztille, which make it possible to infiltrate representative democracy to allow citizens to participate directly to decisions affecting them. Each week, you vote and take collectively a decision for your country, your area or your city."

How about representative democracy on BGA?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

nik592 wrote: 11 May 2023, 03:59 There are various reasons people want this feature returned, but for me, succintly, I want the games I play with my RL friends to count for my ELO. However, I don't want my "not on BGA four times daily" friends to be penalised, cause life gets in the way, and they take 3 days between turns, twice in the course of the same game, and they end up with time-based penalties on their profile.
Yes, me as well. I would like to be able to do this, and was able to do this in the past.

I do not understand why the admins have removed this very useful feature in order to fix a non-existent problem, and refuse to explain.

Return to “Discussions”