Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Windrisen

Re: Bring back Turn Based "No Time Limit + Friends Only"

Post by Windrisen »

dschingis27 wrote: 24 March 2023, 18:36
Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 BGA clearly made me happy. Now it doesn't.
Sorry, but it's really extremely hard to understand why.
Clearly.

And that's okay.

We clearly aren't trying to appeal to your sensibilities to get the community back to when we were happier.

This doesn't apply to you. Fine. Nothing to see here.

We still want back what we had before.

No Time Limit, Turn Based, Friends only games.

Just like we had.
Nullzone

Post by Nullzone »

dschingis27 wrote: 24 March 2023, 18:36
Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 In my opinion, the only relevant point is that we used to have this, and we want it back again.
Welcome to life. Things don't always go like you want them to be.
Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 We used to like BGA because we could play this way, and we liked it, and now we can't, and the site admins refuse to discuss this with us, or even better, roll it back like it was before.
Ok, if you are that annoyed by such a minor change, I am just a little shocked by this.
Windrisen wrote: 23 March 2023, 22:16 BGA clearly made me happy. Now it doesn't.
Sorry, but it's really extremely hard to understand why.
Why do YOU care that people feel strongly about this change?

The problem is not simply the change itself (although the outcome of it is certainly the largest reason for people's ire). It's that it was made on EXTREMELY spurious grounds, with no warning and no explanation, disrupting behavior that was well established and understood for YEARS.

There are certainly worlds where "admins spend too much time on user tickets for dead tables" or "ELO poisoning is happening because of private table collusion" are concerns - in our current world, those concerns are either irrelevant in the former case (because tables self destruct after a period anyway), or remain completely unsolved in the latter case (because collusion can still occur on regular tables).

Thus, the only people left to hold the bag are the people who actively enjoyed the feature.

THAT is why people are upset. THAT is why we continue to post and have cancelled our premium subscriptions. (By the way: for anyone who intends to cancel their premium, you can do that now, and you will still have access to premium features for the remainder of the time you paid for. I cancelled weeks ago but remain premium until a few months from now.)
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Just another reminder that I'd still like this feature to be returned.
cigma

Post by cigma »

dschingis27 wrote: 23 March 2023, 18:04 Sorry, but how can not having Elo be the decisive factor for not liking BGA anymore? That's crazy to me. I get that it annoys you but if Elo was such a big factor in having fun on this site, then you may better indeed leave the site.
For me, it's not just about this feature anymore, which I miss like so many here. It's also about how management handles this issue:
- Although BGA states they want to improve the service, it was actually degraded.
- The wishes of a big part of the community (a lot of them their customers and / or volunteers) are ignored.
- Our questions and comments are not answered.

This is not how you maintain a good relationship and I find this behavior disappointing.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

cigma wrote: 06 April 2023, 06:54 This is not how you maintain a good relationship and I find this behavior disappointing.
That's why they're hiring a new lead community manager (https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29969)... maybe.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Jellby wrote: 06 April 2023, 08:04
cigma wrote: 06 April 2023, 06:54 This is not how you maintain a good relationship and I find this behavior disappointing.
That's why they're hiring a new lead community manager (https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29969)... maybe.
But rolling this back would cost them practically nothing. Is this new community manager supposed to convince people to like something they hate?
Nullzone

Post by Nullzone »

cigma wrote: 06 April 2023, 06:54
dschingis27 wrote: 23 March 2023, 18:04 Sorry, but how can not having Elo be the decisive factor for not liking BGA anymore? That's crazy to me. I get that it annoys you but if Elo was such a big factor in having fun on this site, then you may better indeed leave the site.
For me, it's not just about this feature anymore, which I miss like so many here. It's also about how management handles this issue:
- Although BGA states they want to improve the service, it was actually degraded.
- The wishes of a big part of the community (a lot of them their customers and / or volunteers) are ignored.
- Our questions and comments are not answered.

This is not how you maintain a good relationship and I find this behavior disappointing.
+1, and I said as much when I cancelled premium. I likely won't be back at this point.
Janabis

Post by Janabis »

dschingis27 wrote: 23 March 2023, 18:04Sorry, but how can not having Elo be the decisive factor for not liking BGA anymore? That's crazy to me. I get that it annoys you but if Elo was such a big factor in having fun on this site, then you may better indeed leave the site.

BTW: With some minor annoying side effects, you can still easily play for Elo with your friends. Why do people care so much about these time penalities that actually do not matter? And you can disable sound if the ticking sound after time ran out annoys you.

So basically, the functionalities that people want are all still there, they are just a little less convenient than before.
Comme vous le dites, le changement a des effets négatifs, mineurs selon vous, mais négatifs tout de même. De fait, qui peut se contenter d'une telle régression & l'apprécier ? ... Voilà plusieurs changements que je vois passer sur le site depuis 11 ans, &, à chaque fois, s'il y a certes des améliorations, j'ai l'impression qu'il y aussi toujours des régressions sur certains points. Doit-on se contenter d'un simple "vous allez vous y habituer" ? Avec le temps, j'ai appris à me passer de certains petits détails que j'appréciais à l'époque, mais seulement parce qu'on m'y oblige, alors que je serai toujours ravi de les voir réapparaître ... mais là, je peux rêver je pense.
D'une vieille carlingue assez performante, on est passé à une Ferrari à pédales ... & quitte à choisir je préfère la vieille carlingue qui tient la route. Au final, je pense que nous aspirons tous à rouler en Ferrari qui tienne la route ... mais cela n'arrivera pas s'ils n'en toujours qu'à leur tête, je pense.
LoudLibrarian

Post by LoudLibrarian »

Why haven't they brought this back? We are all having issues with the new format. I hate that I can't play turn based the way I used to. I run a public library and people can't play every day but they don't want to do training mode all the time. FIX THIS!
dralkyr

Post by dralkyr »

Still waiting for this to be fixed.

Return to “Discussions”