Can we have a Fast setting that is actually fast

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Bronn Stone

Can we have a Fast setting that is actually fast

Post by Bronn Stone »

There seems to be a founder of this site who steadfastly defends players rights to take as much time as they want to the detriment of those who actually want to play reasonably quickly. It is true across all games, but especially bad in this game.

I am all for choice. If you want to play slowly, go right ahead and find folks of like mind who can do the same. But when I set up the table and choose FAST, I expect the game to move with a certain alacrity.

I just completed a four player game in the Bird Temple that took 65:25. Of those sixty five minutes, exactly four and half were my turn. The rest of it I spent watching other players vary between indecision and hourglasses.

Don't get me wrong - those people definitely deserve their right to play - IN A GAME WITH OTHERS OF LIKE MIND. But when you set the base turn time high and the minutes added back so absurdly high as to be meaningless, you destroy the game for me. You now have options of turn-based, glacially slow, painfully slow and really slow. You just call the last three Slow, Regular and Fast. For this game, Fast is not fast.

There is really no reason a highly experienced player should take over 20 minutes for this game, But if they need that time or want that time, great for them. Just give me a way to exclude them from joining the games I start even if I don't know who they are.

I can't be the only one who feels this way. I have played many enjoyable games with others who don't exceed 8 minutes each. Won some, lost some - it is not about that. It is about how much of slog the game becomes.

The solution seems simple. Add a "Very Fast" In it, keep the allocated time at its current level, but do not add back so much time after each turn. Nothing wrong with taking an extra minute for a particularly tricky turn. Just not for EVERY move.
Choleriker

Re: Can we have a Fast setting that is actually fast

Post by Choleriker »

Yeah I agree.
The only problem I see is, that while you definitely shouldn't take up the whole two minutes for moves between the 2nd and 4th round, you sometimes have to do a bunch of concrete calculations later on. Therefore, I guess it's hard to find a really good time setting. However, the quickest on right now is definitely too long. Another bad culprit is Castles of Burgundy btw.
Saunanissen

Post by Saunanissen »

Fully agree. A lot of games are simply more enjoyable when they don't turn into a sluggish drag due to some players vacillating over decisions. It is fine to occasionally take longer during a tricky turn - but currently some slow players turn what should be a 30 minute enjoyable experience into a 50+ minute snoozefest.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

The game developer can define the fast/normal/slow times. But you seem to be asking for an 'extra fast' mode.

The table settings are BGA feature. Either way, try reading this:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13321
ufm

Post by ufm »

RicardoRix wrote: 26 January 2023, 11:38 The game developer can define the fast/normal/slow times.
They can, but starting from beta BGA automatically calculates and changes time limit, rendering the setting irrelevant.
nant

Post by nant »

Maybe there could be an adjusted time in regard to which round is being played. I find 1/1:20secs min good for the 1st round but 3 mins to low for the last round calculations sometimes.
So could be something like:
-1:30min 1st round
-2min 2nd round
-2:25min 3rd round
-3min 4th and 5th

Return to “Lost Ruins of Arnak”