order of play

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phung7

order of play

Post by Phung7 »

It's such a great game, far better than it's predecessor, however one important detail is not well thought out: order of play. The order dictated by 'table seating' is kept throughout the game, so if you're placed to the right of someone who plays 'first player' a lot, you wll come second most often, without spending turns; that means you get great choice in tiles and will win.
We're using the house rule that 'first player' only promotes the player that picked that tile to first place, leaving the rest of the existing order of play unchanged, that way everybody needs to fight for the advantage of going early (or not as they seem fit).
Would it be possible to implement that rule as an option please? It really improves the game dramatically.
Last edited by Phung7 on 29 December 2022, 15:12, edited 2 times in total.
Shivaware

Re: order of play

Post by Shivaware »

In general, BGA will not implement unofficial house rules. If the publisher has made this an official variant, then there is a fairly good chance it can be implemented.
Phung7

Post by Phung7 »

Maybe if people endorse this request BGA will comply.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Phung7 wrote: 29 December 2022, 15:20 Maybe if people endorse this request BGA will comply.
Nope, we need official approval from publisher for any change of game mechanisms
FelixTHM

Post by FelixTHM »

Unfortunately, no. This is one of my major criticisms of Uwe as a designer - he does not acknowledge the importance of variable turn order in competitive play. I love and own many of his games, and I house-rule almost all of them with variable turn order, but BGA stays faithful to the designer's and publisher's intentions, which is a principle I agree with. I definitely feel your pain though. Agricola is already incredibly punishing in the turn order benefits/penalties to the 2nd/4th players, who did nothing to deserve the advantage/punishment. And in Caverna the SP spot is even weaker, so it's even more punishing to have to burn an early action for turn order.

Return to “Caverna”