How does Gaia project´s auction works?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Zluti

How does Gaia project´s auction works?

Post by Zluti »

Hi,
does somebody know how auction in Gaia project works? Seems to me a bit weird and can´t find some guide to understand it. Thanks :-)
Kayvon

Re: How does Gaia project´s auction works?

Post by Kayvon »

The "How to Play" section is at the bottom of every game you play online. You can also find it here:
https://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/Gamehelpgaiaproject

And the log refers to the game list -- the list of events -- for a particular game. Every game you play on BGA has a log. Read the entries for a Gaia Project game and it spells out specifically what's happening at every step of the bidding process.

There are also a couple threads already posted here with some discussion.
Iron Chemist

Post by Iron Chemist »

This process does not work correctly, I didnt pay close enough attention the previous game, but this game I got a faction I bid 0 points on, and someone else got a faction I bid 5 points on for zero.

I came to the forum to read how the process was supposed to work, because I thought maybe I just wasn't understanding it. But as its laid out, it failed to work in my current game.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The process does work correctly. I'm happy to help you understand why it resulted this way or, if I'm actually wrong this time, eat some humble pie.

Which table number was it? Let's look at the logs and replay together.
Nenette-76

Post by Nenette-76 »

Hello, i don't understand the auction on the game Table #362834414

I am the first player. I bet 26 on Nevlas.
Second player bet 15 on Nevlas and he win the auction on Nevlas.

Please help me to understand!
Thx
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Have you already read the description on the How to Play section? Remember, it's the *difference* in bid levels that matters.

"During the round-robin portion, each player automatically bids on the faction with the greatest difference between the faction's current bid and that player's maximum possible bid."
Nenette-76

Post by Nenette-76 »

Yes i have already read but i don't understance the "difference".
Why my bid switch to Ambas? i don't know how many points was bid on ambas for the other player
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

How much did you bid on each faction?
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

"Difference" means subtraction. You bid 26 on Nevlas. The current bid was 3. That's a difference of 23, making it the largest difference. Make sense? Here's the log:

Nenette-76 bids 4 on Nevlas, outbidding Guelsson. (The bid was 23 away from Nenette-76's max bid of 26.)

By the time it gets back around to you, that difference is smaller than the difference between Ambas' current bid (0) and your highest Ambas bid (21). You've indicated that you want Ambas so much that it's better for you to get it for zero than to continue bidding on Nevlas, so that's what you do:

Nenette-76 bids 0 on Ambas (and is willing to bid up to 21 if needed)

You don't know the *max* bid of other players, but you don't need to. It's the *current* bid that matters for determining the difference.

I see a lot of complaints that people don't understand the wiki's wording, but no suggestions of better wording. How would you have worded this?
Nenette-76

Post by Nenette-76 »

Thx for the explanation. Now i understand.
English is not my first langage so it's difficult for me to suggest something more comprehensible.

You can insist on the "difference between the faction's current bid" and write in bold or underline.

For more comprehension, you cand add more exemple for each situation.

Thx a lot

Return to “Gaia Project”