Confused

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
colcan75

Confused

Post by colcan75 »

I am new to this online games. I know how to play Catan but do not understand this program. I don't need a tutorial on the game, just one to understand the mechanics. I played one game the other night and when I hit "play game" a game came up immediately. However, it was a terrible experience... four players with a very random board and difficult play. I think the game lasted close to two hours and I was told that I shouldn't drop out of a game, finally was given the option to drop out without penalty. Tonight I listed preferences (nothing too restrictive) and it is taking forever to find a game. I don't want to pay $30.00 to become a Premium Member when I don't understand the site. Any suggestions?
sorryimlikethis

Re: Confused

Post by sorryimlikethis »

Hi there.

What made the game such a bad experience?
After the first game are there still any parts of the game interface you don't understand?

It seems like you made it through most of the game, unfortunately someone else left before the end.
It always sucks when that happens. It looks like someone was on 10 points as well. That means they were robbed of a victory and instead get nothing.
That's why there is a penalty for leaving early, it ruins the experience for everyone else. When someone else leaves early everyone can leave without penalty because there's basically no point in continuing play.

Becoming premium may reduce queue times by a bit, but probably not much. The main thing is finding 2-3 other people to play. The other night there were already people waiting and you happened to match with them instantly. Tonight you might be the 1st person looking for a match and have to wait for others to join. Just how it works.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

colcan75 wrote: 03 January 2023, 01:24 I am new to this online games. I know how to play Catan but do not understand this program. I don't need a tutorial on the game, just one to understand the mechanics. I played one game the other night and when I hit "play game" a game came up immediately. However, it was a terrible experience... four players with a very random board and difficult play. I think the game lasted close to two hours and I was told that I shouldn't drop out of a game, finally was given the option to drop out without penalty. Tonight I listed preferences (nothing too restrictive) and it is taking forever to find a game. I don't want to pay $30.00 to become a Premium Member when I don't understand the site. Any suggestions?
On the note of premium, $30 sounds like the price for a years subscription, a months one would be about $4 at a guess.
Ammakitty

Post by Ammakitty »

First you need to make sure Catan is in your favorites. Then you can go to "play now"... scroll through your favorites and click on catan. If it is set to automatic it will search for tables or players who are eligible to start a game. Once the game is ready to start, you must click on the accept button. If it is set to manual, it will show you available games and you may choose one: again you must click accept. I would suggest staying away from games marked "fast" until you feel comfortable.

Return to “Catan”