CAMPAIGN: Invasion of Manchuria

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ripted pizzaz

Re: CAMPAIGN: Invasion of Manchuria

Post by ripted pizzaz »

I know we've implemented Cavalry as an infantry unit in all forms in this game, but for the record, in all realms military, cavalry is most definitely *not* infantry. Not saying it should change (pretty impossible at this point) but it seems an important awareness to have....
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

MagnusNygaard wrote: 11 January 2023, 21:30 For all you equestrians out there - Flanking at Daxing is now up.
Can Calvary dismount and act as regular infantry at 3-2-1
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

ripted pizzaz wrote: 12 January 2023, 00:09 I know we've implemented Cavalry as an infantry unit in all forms in this game, but for the record, in all realms military, cavalry is most definitely *not* infantry. Not saying it should change (pretty impossible at this point) but it seems an important awareness to have....
In this specific case - i.e. Manchuria and later Khalkin Gol and the war in China, the cavalry was both used as cavalry in the old sense - i.e. as a charging unit or to hunt down fleeing enemies, but also just as a way to transport troops from A to B because of a lack of good roads and/or trucks. From the pictures I've seen the Japanese cavalry seems to be much in this category - i.e. mostly mounted infantry, with horse drawn field artillery and dismantled machineguns in saddle bags.
I come from a family of horse-lovers myself, so this part of warfare has always interested me a lot. :) I'm still waiting for "Warhorse 2; Operation Barbarossa" where we follow one of the millions of horses that were forced into serving there...
Wiking44 wrote: 12 January 2023, 00:14
MagnusNygaard wrote: 11 January 2023, 21:30 For all you equestrians out there - Flanking at Daxing is now up.
Can Calvary dismount and act as regular infantry at 3-2-1
No - sadly that's not an option, but I have considered having some units be dismounted (i.e. regular German figures) from the start. Or maybe make them Italians (to simulate that they start dismounted, but if they get in trouble they can run away faster).
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

To those of you who like trains - well, train infrastructure, (sadly trains don't work online yet) - Sanjianfang is now up.
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

The last real Chinese victory in the campaign (sorry, SPOILERS!) Tangchi Encirclement - is now up.
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Time is running out for Ma Zhanshan and his Chinese defender. Retreat from Xinlitun is up.
SFwEinSteiner

Post by SFwEinSteiner »

Thanks I'm interested in the war in China so looking forward to having a go at some of these! Many thanks!
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

SFwEinSteiner wrote: 22 January 2023, 17:05 Thanks I'm interested in the war in China so looking forward to having a go at some of these! Many thanks!
You're welcome. It's a sadly overlooked war, and since neither the KMT or the CCP come out looking very good, especially in the early stages, and the Japanese aren't too interested in exploring it in detail either, so sources are few and far between.
SFwEinSteiner

Post by SFwEinSteiner »

Indeed. I've recently acquired a copy of Richard B Frank's Tower of Skulls Vol. 1 as a way to start.
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

SFwEinSteiner wrote: 22 January 2023, 20:08 Indeed. I've recently acquired a copy of Richard B Frank's Tower of Skulls Vol. 1 as a way to start.
That's a great book! Let me also recommend Stalingrad on the Yangtze by Peter Harmsen. There's also a series of good interviews on the youtube channel WWIITV (https://www.youtube.com/@WW2TV) about the 2nd Sino-Japanese War.

Any way - time has run out for the Chinese defenders of the Heilongjiang province, all that remains is to escape with as many units intact as possible - Qiqihar Lost is now up.

Return to “Memoir 44”