CAMPAIGN: Invasion of Manchuria

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MagnusNygaard

CAMPAIGN: Invasion of Manchuria

Post by MagnusNygaard »

OK, so I'm going to hope that it won't take too long for our great developers to get the Days of Wonder "Scenarios from the Front" updated... I'm really liking some of the possibilities for online play the new implementations have given us! For one thing - I noticed that CAVALRY now works online!
This opened up for me to engage in a much overlooked part of the very-very early WWII - the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931-1932...

So I'm going to post the maps here for everybody to look at, and hopefully soon to play here on BGA. (If you really can't wait for synchronization between DoW's SFTFs and BGA feel free to DM me, and I'll send you the maps via email).

My plan is to post 1 every week. Feel free to comment, critique and make suggestions.

INVASION OF MANCHURIA
Background: Japan had long had its eyes on the resource rich parts of Northern China, and had in the 1920s financed several rail roads in that area. One of these railroads were famously used in a black-flag operation, know as the "Mukden Incident" or "September 18th Incident". This led to the Japanese invasion of two Chinese provinces, Laoning and Jilin.
By October 1st the Japanese also bribed a Chinese General, Zhang Haipeng, to declare indepence from China. He was given guns and money, and he willingly brought 3 regiments, almost 10 000 cavalry, with him to aide the Japanese.
By October 18th these puppet forces rode to take control of the important railroad bridge across the Nenjiang River at the town of Jiangqiao. But loyal Chinese forces resisted and repelled them. They then blew up the rails, so that trains couldn't use the bridge.
Realizing that their allies weren't up to the task, the Japanese decided to take the bridge themselves.
The newly appointed local Chinese commander, Ma Zhanshan, spared no time in preparing his defenses in Jingqiao.
By November 4th the invasion began in earnest.
(play Nenjiang Bridge)
Following the skirmish in Jiangqiao, the confrontation took place a couple of kilometers further north along the railroad at the town of Daxing. This time the Chinese were better prepared and the initial Japanese probes got repelled. During the night between the 4th and the 5th of November the Japanese and their allies suffered their first serious loss as some of their units were ambushed while crossing the river.
(play Daxing Station Battle)
Impatient with getting results, the Japanese gathered flanking detachments on the right and left wing of the main defensive positions closer to the railroad. Ma Zhanshan learned of this and ordered his cavalry to intercept and destroy these flanking units. They fought for 4 hours among the hills and lakes of the area, but in the end they had to retreat back to their defensive lines.
(play Flanking at Daxing)
With the Japanese Kwangtung Army highly dependent on rail transportation, not only in order to secure Qiqihar, but also to keep supplies and reinforcements coming from Korea and the East, the battle for Sanjianfang was paramount in order to continue their rapid advance, before the peace-factions at home, the USSR or the League of Nations could intervene.
(play Sanjianfang)
Three more squadrons of Japanese planes and the 4th Mixed Brigade were diverted to the Manchurian campaign, and while negotiations still continued, it was clear that the hawks in the Japanese military had no intentions of settling this in any other way than with weapons.
(play Tangchi Encirclement)
While Ma Zhanshan's forces still held out, the situation was getting increasingly desperate along the entire front. Food and ammunition were getting scarce, and when ammunition did arrive, it was often too old, or ruined by moisture or temperature due to poor storage. Several positions had to be abandoned, in order to strengthen the defenses around the regional capital Qiqihar.
(play Retreat from Xinlitun)
With virtually no resources left, and increasing pressure from the Kwangtung army, Ma Zhanshan had to order the withdrawal from the defenses around the regional capital of Qiqihar. Now all the remained was to keep as many units alive as possible - to continue the resistance against the Japanese invasion with other means.
(play Qiqihar lost)
This concludes the conquest of the northern province of Heilongjiang what can reasonably be called the first resistance to the Japanese encroachment in China.

SCENARIOS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

NOVEMBER 4th 1931: NENJIANG BRIDGE
NOVEMBER 4th-5th 1931: DAXING STATION BATTLE
NOVEMBER 6th 1931: FLANKING AT DAXING
NOVEMBER 7th-12th 1931: SAIJIANFANG
NOVEMBER 14th-15th 1931: TANGCHI ENCIRCLEMENT
NOVEMBER 16th-17th 1931: RETREAT FROM XINLITUN
NOVEMBER 17th-19th 1931: QIQIHAR LOST
Last edited by MagnusNygaard on 30 January 2023, 18:34, edited 7 times in total.
Wiking44

Re: CAMPAIGN: Invasion of Manchuria

Post by Wiking44 »

Awesome work on a little known part of WW2. Cannot wait to play some of your work
Jeronimon

Post by Jeronimon »

Looking forward to it Magnus 8-)
Randwulf

Post by Randwulf »

very cool
Master Randwulf

It will quit hurting when the pain stops.

Knowledge is Power. Power corrupts.
Study hard, be EVIL...
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Thanks guys :)

While playtesting, EvilDeadDK discovered that the Japanese cavalry is listed as having 2/1 damage - despite it having 3/1 until it is wounded (at which point it loses its close combat bonus). Btw, there is an unanswered FAQ on DoW on whether or not the Japanese cavalry gets the Seishin Kyoiku doctrine or not. I hope they do - it gives some interesting options.

We also learned that you can't use the cross-hair marker of one Big Guns to shoot at with another...
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

MagnusNygaard wrote: 07 January 2023, 00:10 Thanks guys :)

While playtesting, EvilDeadDK discovered that the Japanese cavalry is listed as having 2/1 damage - despite it having 3/1 until it is wounded (at which point it loses its close combat bonus). Btw, there is an unanswered FAQ on DoW on whether or not the Japanese cavalry gets the Seishin Kyoiku doctrine or not. I hope they do - it gives some interesting options.

We also learned that you can't use the cross-hair marker of one Big Guns to shoot at with another...
We implemented cavalry following the rulebook of Eastern Front, there are no mention of this 3/1 with attack bonus thing, where did you get that from ?
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

Tisaac wrote: 07 January 2023, 00:47
MagnusNygaard wrote: 07 January 2023, 00:10 Thanks guys :)

We implemented cavalry following the rulebook of Eastern Front, there are no mention of this 3/1 with attack bonus thing, where did you get that from ?
In the Pacific expansion it says that a full strength Japanese Infantry unit will attack with an extra die in close combat
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Well sure, but it wont be written on the summary card, as for any other japanese unit. That's just a nation special rule.
So are you saying that this special rule is not working with cavalry ?
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Tisaac wrote: 07 January 2023, 08:14 Well sure, but it wont be written on the summary card, as for any other japanese unit. That's just a nation special rule.
So are you saying that this special rule is not working with cavalry ?
No no - it's working fine. And since there's no official ruling saying otherwise - I think cavalry should get the nation bonuses (i.e. retreat for Italians, 1fig battle back for the British. It gives you a lot of funny options).

The thing we noticed was just that when you hover above a card to check the rules - the color of the unit changes to whatever nation you're looking at - but the description is of course just for the generic "Cavalry" unit. I mean, it's no big deal - but it's a good to know - and remember to include in the scenario details.
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

For all you equestrians out there - Flanking at Daxing is now up.

Return to “Memoir 44”