Undo function

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Deathowl3000

Undo function

Post by Deathowl3000 »

Hello :)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this and if not if there's anyone who might be able to direct me to the right place? I have had a couple of occasions where I've made a silly mistake such as selecting the wrong resource on a maritime trade which can sometimes have a really significant impact on your game. I feel there should be an undo function within your turn to account for this as it is not really something that would be possible to happen in a real life game and there are other games on BGA that do have an undo function within your allotted turn time?

Many thanks :)

p.s. I do appreciate that it is ultimately your fault if you press the wrong button and that you should check etc but with those of us with certain neurodiversities I think it is fairly easy for this sort of mistake to occur, and again wouldn't really be a thing irl!
SwHawk

Re: Undo function

Post by SwHawk »

There's already a confirmation timer that's available as player preference which IMHO is more than enough. Ultimately, you need to pay attention to what you are doing as well... 2 to 3 minutes to play a turn is more than enough, and planning your next moves during your opponents' turns is also something that you should do (be it here on BGA on IRL)...

I can understand that missclicks happen, but with the confirmation timer, you should have ample time to correct your mistake...
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

I strongly disagree that the confirmation is "more than enough". Many other games on BGA let you re-start your turn.

A simple "confirm" button is little help, because you *intend* to do that thing so of course you click confirm. Mistakes are usually more apparent only after you see where you placed the piece and think about what to do next. That's very normal for board games, and when you play in person with reasonable people it's always okay to revert what you just did if you haven't ended your turn yet.

Games where you should not be able to go back after finding something out, have an option to just revert to that state. In Catan, that's either a trade, or playing the robber - you shouldn't be able to go back to before you played the robber and know what resource you got. But aside from that, definitely there needs to be an undo feature in this game.
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

The thing is that placing a colony on the map reveals private information such as the resources the player actually had in hand. As such, technically, an undo is not permitted...
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

It is only the player's own resources that they have revealed. If they choose to undo, they know that. The same kind of thing happens in other games, and it's no reason not to allow undo. Any more than prohibiting someone from saying in the chat "I have two rock but no brick".
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

I wish every game had the restart your turn button.

I’m also neurodiverse and sometimes too excitedly click Confirm only to realize I made a mistake and selected the wrong thing. Sometimes I even notice I select the wrong then and just panic and either the confirm time runs out or I accidentally hit Confirm instead of Cancel.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Losing another game simply because I made the wrong move when I _know_ immediately after I click that it was a mistake and another move is much better. Very very frustrating. In a real life game, and in many other BGA games, this would never be a problem - I can just change what I'm doing since it's still my turn.

It's one thing when you just have bad luck with the game as it's designed - roll poorly, get the resource you need robbed from you, etc. It feels totally different when the much better move is right there, you could've taken it, you know it, but you have to go on with your turn accepting the bad move you accidentally made because of the way this game is programmed on BGA, lacking an undo/restart option. It makes the game feel really bad to play.

Return to “Catan”