Blocking and etiquette

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jerclarke

Blocking and etiquette

Post by jerclarke »

Cannot believe I am typing this but................ Is it possible to create seperate tables for those that want to play the game as a strategy game and those that want to just create long lines? I am all about inclusiveness but I am sick of having to ask people at the start if I am allowed to play to the rules. I don't intend to upset people but they can really get upset if I happen to want to be where they are. I don't like travelling alone and like high speed near collisions now and again. I have only been playing a couple of weeks and maybe I am missing something?
Jake899

Re: Blocking and etiquette

Post by Jake899 »

Are people telling you which routes they want to take? There's not really any other way to know which routes people want to occupy (of course, you can always make educated guesses but never know for sure). If people are bitching you out about taking routes that they wanted, that's just part of the game and they should have hit there first if it was so important. It's not reasonable or correct to expect other people to play to your rules, especially in an online game. They are free to make whatever house rules they wish and over the board Ticket.
MadManMark

Post by MadManMark »

To further refine this question, I think it can only apply to the "Play" option. Anyone who goes into a "Tournament" or "Arena" game expecting their opponent - whom they have no choice or control as to identity - to adhere to their personal "house rules" would be completely unreasonable and obtuse.

So, if the devs can add a additional "settings" option (gear icon) for "Non-Competitive Play Style Only," and which applies only to "Play" games, I'm A-OK with that. These players would then be matched only to other players that have checked that box. Seems like the most straightforward way to bifurcate the player base along this artificial distinction; frankly, I don't want to play people who make up their own rules and etiquette any more than they want to play me (apparently), so it'd be a win-win in my view
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

When you set up a game, you can put restrictions on player ratings. If you want a "friendly" game restrict things to beginners; if you want "competitive" restrict games to higher levels. Not foolproof as I learned today, but I have found the higher levels generally more understanding that blocking is part of the game.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”