Another Arena season, another boring set of factions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
GEO500

Re: Another Arena season, another boring set of factions

Post by GEO500 »

I greatly appreciate Slartibartfst for having posted this thread over half a year ago and am glad to have stumbled upon it now. Let's try to make some new analytical points on available game options that go beyond the back & forth of "fan factions ready now!" vs "wait until they're officially finalized!"

I've just reached Expert player status this month with a completed game history of only 30 (including 5 FF!) on BGA (with WAY fewer face-to-face), and I believe my expertise in the game derives primarily from analytical quality rather than repetition quantity/familiarity. Hence, my reflex was to chuckle at this post that I had initially perceived to be someone trolling:
Patrick of the Isles wrote: 18 February 2023, 20:58
RicardoRix wrote: 17 February 2023, 17:44 That's also why you can change the settings each season. You can switch between base and expansions. Keep everyone happy. Why does it just have to be the base game?
The current arena settings have expansion scoring, which is unacceptable to those of us who enjoy the balance of the base game. We have not had a base game season in a long time.
Only when I realized that Patrick was entirely serious did I understand that he approached TM from a chess player's mindset. He represents a purist camp that caused me to avoid playing on Snellman since ever, where there has been a very entrenched feeling of the range of VP one could score from a certain aspect (faction scoring, favors, bonus tiles, round scoring, endgame) using each board. That may also be the case in some matches on BGA, especially for the more serious tourney games I almost exclusively play now, but I love throwing in an underwhelming faction into the mix to make the VP auction (balancing mechanism) do its intended job. I fail to understand how a new/developing player could POSSIBLY auction better than Experts with hundreds/thousands of games under their belt? UNLESS there were more unpredictable elements thrown into the consideration mix that make "meta" much more difficult to abuse by the veterans. I'm writing my analysis below for those of us who appreciate a chance for developing players to come closer to equal footing instead of feeling like they're guaranteed a pummeling given the game's predetermined conditions.

Consider for today this idea of marginal processing overhead you'd have to accommodate if certain options were added, and we'll assume turn-based games so that any player of any skill level would have fairly equal amounts of processing time. I'll skip over the game elements that nobody even bothers to uncheck anymore: Variable turn order & Mini-expansions
(Please do try to argue a case for excluding those, and I'll appreciate the laughs in advance.)

Fire and Ice - Final Scoring tiles: <10% marginal processing overhead
I'll first address the above element that made me chuckle by quantifying it with the +36VP infused among 4 players for an average 9VP each. In a super conservative estimate of the +100VP the average player will earn throughout 6 rounds, this additional scoring consideration (with 0 benefit gained before game's end) contributes <10% for the average player. This at most adds a 6th category of scoring (in addition to the 5 previously mentioned) or buffs the 5th category of endgame scoring to 128 (+39% over the original 92) VP. This is hardly something you can ignore entirely, but it provides a separate avenue of scoring that changes from game to game, thus allowing certain under-picked factions to become more viable given the circumstances. This might break the base-game meta of CDW_, but how is that result not anything short of amazing for the vast majority of TM players not playing Snellman D1?

Game board Random: 14% marginal processing overhead
When I read thread upon thread in the BGG forums while learning how to get good at this game, I absolutely hated people's reliance on the base game board to discuss faction strategies, as if that map were the end-all, be-all answer to this game. While I understand we can't get modular boards in TM like they made for GP, we still have 4.5 legitimately play-tested (balanced?) boards to play on. How in the world do you play thousands of iterations of TM on the same base map, when it could instead be at most 40% of what you see? One can infer from my low games history count that I have barely been able to play a few factions multiple times, with some never having been chosen at all. I've also gotten less than a dozen hits on any single map EVER, so I had to rely on careful analysis of the map situation from a zero foundation every single auction. I could only learn to glean patterns and decision-making suggestions from the forum threads based on generalizations I could take away from people discussing their reasoning on the base map, thus making me just about as experienced on Fjords as Revised base map. Those of you who are clamoring to gather 3 months of experience on a single map are simply putting up a hurdle for your own skill development in this game. To quantify the additional mental load caused by map variations, it pretty much only goes as far as setup, hence my valuation of it based on time at 1/7.

Landscapes expansion: 16% marginal processing overhead
Let's count the landscape as a different structure type in addition to D/TP/TE/SA/SH, which caps it at a 1/6 additional mental load. Similarly, its minimum as the 18th structure puts its floor at 1/18. In reality, they were created as a balancing mechanism, so they must be processed as an overall faction uniqueness element (along with faction ability & SH power). They all cost a terraform during the action round to be placed, except for CMs who can use it freely as an emergency teleportation should the need arise. Some landscapes provide so much adjustment that they make entire factions playable (Fakirs' Flight School, Acolytes' Altar of Sacrifice) in a competitive fashion, thus providing additional FUN for the player who could do more actions beyond the quantifiable balance from an auction. Even holding auction games equal, compare Arena games with & without landscapes and I'm sure you'll see a significant difference in the occurrence frequency of Fakirs.

Fire and Ice - Factions: 43% marginal processing overhead
As several players have mentioned, Fire especially changes gameplay, but every new F&I board brings with it the same amount of uniqueness as any base board. If we include FFs some day after official release, do we just keep out their 6 F&I counterparts? Or just the 2 new Fire boards? Who is to decide, and more importantly, why is it asking so much to deal with a SINGLE opponent playing Fire? I've had way more trouble from an opponent unexpectedly building a R1 Halflings SH out of nowhere than a "disruptive" Dragonlords opponent when I already expect that "disruption" to begin with...

Fan Factions: 100% marginal processing overhead (AFTER the addition of F&I factions)
I'm not going to advocate for this right now, and you have probably noticed the ascending order of marginal processing overhead in these arguments. I am not nor will ever be a guru, but I invite genuine debate & discussion to help us achieve a state of general acceptance of each of these gameplay options eventually. However, we must cross checkpoints sequentially for this to be reasonably achieved. Any talk of adding factions is a moot point right now until we can get a significant majority of gurus to accept even a 16% additional mental load to this game's analysis in Arena mode.

Until then, I hope we could at least consider the inclusion of Landscapes to be "Random" rather than "Off" ever again. It's fair to ask players to be able to play factions with or without those extra circles, and it's a very workable solution if we ever need to include FFs before they receive their own official Landscapes. We must realize that our player base is incredibly limited in Arena play, and its survival will only ever rely on moving in the direction of further inclusion rather than EXCLUSION of gameplay elements. Asking more and more players to accept playing a "stunted" version of this game is going to be much more impossible than asking them to accept additional expansions gradually over seasons.
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

GEO500 wrote: 30 July 2023, 22:01
Only when I realized that Patrick was entirely serious did I understand that he approached TM from a chess player's mindset. He represents a purist camp...

We must realize that our player base is incredibly limited in Arena play, and its survival will only ever rely on moving in the direction of further inclusion rather than EXCLUSION of gameplay elements. Asking more and more players to accept playing a "stunted" version of this game is going to be much more impossible than asking them to accept additional expansions gradually over seasons.
Hello :)

Since my name was mentioned, I thought I would clarify my thoughts for folks who may read this later. There are a lot of people who have argued at great length that having more "stuff" in arena seasons causes fewer people to play and makes the game slower to grow. There are also a lot of people who, like you, have argued quite the opposite: that having less "stuff" in arena seasons is actually what has negative outcomes. People in both groups often feel their preferred way to play the game is objectively better, or requires more skill.

I do not hold either viewpoint. I believe what a person finds fun is entirely and completely subjective and irrational. So the fact that I find the game of Terra Mystica to be much more enjoyable to play with base factions and without expansion scoring is not because it's "better" or "harder" or "easier" or anything else - it's just what I happen to find fun. So it's no surprise that some people find other settings more fun, just like it's no surprise that some people find other games more fun.

We saw expansion scoring (and landscapes and random maps) voted in for multiple arena seasons. I didn't play arena those seasons because I didn't find that fun. Eventually the voters decided to remove expansion scoring for this present season, so now I am playing arena again. I'm sure for others the opposite is true. We all like different flavors of ice cream, and that's normal.

Finally, I know a number of folks compare Terra Mystica to chess, and you suggest I might feel the same way, but actually I don't agree with the comparison. Two-player Terra Mystica could have some similarities to a variable-setup chess variant like Fischer random, but any multiplayer game is radically different, as an unpredictable opponent can affect some opponents more than others in a way that is impossible in a two-player game like chess.
Last edited by Patrick of the Isles on 03 August 2023, 20:24, edited 3 times in total.
GEO500

Post by GEO500 »

Patrick of the Isles wrote: 01 August 2023, 08:29 Finally, I know a number of folks compare Terra Mystica to chess, but contrary to your assertion about my views, I do not agree at all with that. Two-player Terra Mystica could have some similarities to a variable-setup chess variant like Fischer random, but any multiplayer game is radically different, as an unpredictable opponent can affect some opponents more than others in a way that is impossible in a two-player game like chess.
You're totally right about that, Patrick, and I see how my analogy was unnecessarily confusing. This competitive 4P game is nothing like chess' zero-sum, absolute victory nature. But I was simply noting the traditional mentality of such chess players when it comes to adoption of changes.

I'm sure at one point, the chess community had to be convinced to accept castling. Even to this day, a player's potential to castle is still not (un)marked in a game as it is played out, so I would find it entirely logical for (even competitive) players to reject that mechanism as a whole. If Leonard Shelby, the protagonist from Memento (2000), were playing turn-based chess on BGA Arena, he would be subject to a substantial disadvantage during which an Arena season included said feature. However, he is in the vast minority, as the metagame of chess and what people consider fun nearly ubiquitously include advanced features that even change the mechanics of the entire gameplay. (This is where we could debate if queening is more jarring of a mechanism introduction than volcano terraforms, if anyone wanted to compare the two.)

As time goes on and players are introduced to the game, we inevitably leave behind the few who would vehemently avoid playing with the Temple round scoring but gain magnitudes more players who embrace all the pickings that have been included for 75% of this game's history. I feel like I've gained even more insight last week with my purchase of the Korean crowdfunded 2015 Big Box that includes everything short of Merchants of the Sea. Although I won't be using those Landscapes tokens for a few plays while teaching friends new to the game, I'll be damned if I forever keep out the "en passant" equivalent to TM.

I may suffer from bias as a new player introduced to this game after COVID, who never had the chance to play the most vanilla version, but I have no right either to judge which version is better simply because others find it more fun. With only 4 different sets of Arena settings each year, we obviously cannot have coverage of the entire spectrum even in an annual calendar. Careful readers of dozens of replies in this thread should be able to realize that we have been holding back much more in favor of the vanilla end of the spectrum, and we haven't even crossed the halfway point to the other end of our TM potential if we can't include features beyond endgame scoring, 3.5 more maps, and Landscapes.
Alloran

Post by Alloran »

Although I completely agree that more variety is better, for reasons I have argued for earlier, I also agree with Patrick that opinions about what is fun ultimately mean nothing. For me it's really just a question of fairness. People who want the current settings (or at least very close to them) get what they want 100% of the time, and people who want other settings get what they want 0% of the time.
Alloran

Post by Alloran »

I truly hope everyone is enjoying the new settings as much as I am :)
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Alloran wrote: 05 November 2023, 14:29 I truly hope everyone is enjoying the new settings as much as I am :)
I know I am 8-) . It appears that several others are as well. If it keeps at this pace there will be more games played in this season than in years. I also see several names from this thread that were opposed to ff getting in on the action :)

I think the argument that base and ff can't coexist competitively is proving to be false. Based on my games base factions make up roughly a third of the factions and win 30% of games.
Last edited by ChiefPointThief on 26 November 2023, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Slartibartfst

Post by Slartibartfst »

Wow, I didn't even bother to check settings for Arena this season, I'm so excited to see some fresh settings make it! Fan Factions here I come! Just got to catch the end of Nerdcube streaming a game, hope to get to catch some more high end players streaming fan faction games.
Anadh

Post by Anadh »

Hi there,

I saw the settings for the new arena season and wanted to add my 2 cents again.

The "fan factions" afficionados have been pretty vocal in this thread over the past months to get some form of alternation between the different settings, which I understand and support in a way (even if it has driven me away from Arena because I personally feel that I cannot keep up the pace).

I must admit was truly hoping for a return to "fan factions - off" this season, to enable a more accessible form of competition. What I understand is that the gurus decided there was no coming back from this decision to drift further away from the vanilla /original settings.

I still feel this is a shame that Arena is trending more and more every season to becoming a place dedicated to a tinier group of super high caliber players, that have a crazy amount of play time to invest in order to stay up with the meta, factions, boards, etc. I completely get that when one plays so many games every week, some form of change is always welcome (and even "necessary" to stay interested), but my point is that it completely ostracizes average and low skill players to compete in Arena whatsoever, because it is so overwhelming.

For what it's worth...
A.
Alloran

Post by Alloran »

Anadh wrote: 10 January 2024, 11:25 Hi there,

The "fan factions" afficionados have been pretty vocal in this thread over the past months to get some form of alternation between the different settings, which I understand and support in a way (even if it has driven me away from Arena because I personally feel that I cannot keep up the pace).

I must admit was truly hoping for a return to "fan factions - off" this season, to enable a more accessible form of competition. What I understand is that the gurus decided there was no coming back from this decision to drift further away from the vanilla /original settings.

I still feel this is a shame that Arena is trending more and more every season to becoming a place dedicated to a tinier group of super high caliber players, that have a crazy amount of play time to invest in order to stay up with the meta, factions, boards, etc. I completely get that when one plays so many games every week, some form of change is always welcome (and even "necessary" to stay interested), but my point is that it completely ostracizes average and low skill players to compete in Arena whatsoever, because it is so overwhelming.

For what it's worth...
A.
[Disclaimer: I was one of the people pushing for alternating seasons.] I loved last season, and I agree with you. I enjoy random maps, and I loved having fan factions, but I was very surprised to find both of them at the same time, as it makes the current season have probably the least new-player-friendly settings possible without adding in F&I factions.

I do wonder, though, whether having THIS level of variety might actually counter-intuitively level the playing field a bit? Because basically NO ONE can fully understand a meta with fan factions and five maps and keep it all straight, so it might reduce the advance preparation possible. Just a thought, don't know if it's true. I started fifteen turn-based games yesterday and with all the different maps I am basically bidding on gut feeling so far.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Anadh wrote: 10 January 2024, 11:25 Hi there,

You haven't played in over 8-9 seasons. During this time there was plenty of "vanilla" seasons so what drove you away? There were seasons with no landscapes, none had f&i factions, single board seasons, and I believe no f&i scoring as well.
Anadh wrote: 10 January 2024, 11:25 I still feel this is a shame that Arena is trending more and more every season to becoming a place dedicated to a tinier group of super high caliber players, that have a crazy amount of play time to invest in order to stay up with the meta, factions, boards, etc. I completely get that when one plays so many games every week, some form of change is always welcome (and even "necessary" to stay interested), but my point is that it completely ostracizes average and low skill players to compete in Arena whatsoever, because it is so overwhelming.

For what it's worth...
A.
I don't know how it is being dedicated to a tinier group when the past season saw an increase of 15.3% players and 33% increase of total games played. Also the argument being floated around before was that inferior players would be able to become masters in this setting because it is duck chess. I wouldn't consider yourself low skill as you have close to a 400 rating but arena isn't meant for low skill players anyway. Especially not in a game like terra mystica.
Alloran wrote: 10 January 2024, 15:56
[Disclaimer: I was one of the people pushing for alternating seasons.] I loved last season, and I agree with you. I enjoy random maps, and I loved having fan factions, but I was very surprised to find both of them at the same time, as it makes the current season have probably the least new-player-friendly settings possible without adding in F&I factions.
I've seen the new player friendly argument be raised when discussing arena several times. What % of players each season do people think are new players? I would guess 1% and if so why are decisions being considered around 1% of the player base? Also I am happy but surprised as well by guru voting lately. 2 seasons ago it was heavily in favor of no ff. Now it is overwhelmingly in favor of ff. I didn't come across any news that they were now an official release or confirmation of no more changes which I know was holding some people back (k.o.e needs a fix and there are suggestions on bgg). This season it was in favor of keeping arena the same but switched towards random maps towards the end with base factions not even close in the race.

Return to “Terra Mystica”