Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mr_Magic

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by Mr_Magic »

Then you'll be in a competitive game and will have to deal with players playing to win.
Aoimoku

Post by Aoimoku »

ExaltedAngel wrote: 26 February 2023, 14:52 Imagine being mad at the enemy team because the goalkeeper tries to prevent you from scoring instead of scoring their own goals. Lmao, what an absolute loser mindset
Thank you! At least one that is out of elementary school around here
Kaladry wrote: 27 February 2023, 07:27 I don’t really care to read your long post so I’m not going to.
You mean how we don't really care about your whining about blocks?
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

Mr_Magic wrote: 03 March 2023, 12:15 Then you'll be in a competitive game and will have to deal with players playing to win.
Who said they were beating me?
And if they try blocking me as that’s likely what you meant then I will just give them a red thumb as I am able to do so I don’t have to play them again with their no fun strategy.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

Kaladry wrote: 04 March 2023, 01:10
Mr_Magic wrote: 03 March 2023, 12:15 Then you'll be in a competitive game and will have to deal with players playing to win.
Who said they were beating me?
I don't know, who did. Did I?
dhnyny

Post by dhnyny »

Mr_Magic wrote: 26 February 2023, 13:20 Red Thumbing players who block is ridiculous!
If you've ever red-thumbed a player you will recall that you have to indicate whether you simply don't want to play with that player again or whether you want to send a signal that nobody should play with that player. I think it's clear that Kaladry is talking about the first kind of red-thumbing, which has no impact on anyone but Kaladry. There's nothing ridiculous about that. It's no different from keeping a list of players you don't want to play with in the future.
james1974

Post by james1974 »

Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 10:37

Lol whatever you want to think dude. I can play normal mode and give you a red thumb. It’s not reporting you, it’s just so we don’t ever match up again. I don’t want to play with blockers and I can do that by red thumbing the ones who purposely block with no reason other than to block when they didn’t otherwise need that route.

Arena is for the super competitive people and if you’re blocking you’re obviously super competitive.
Problem with this is

1) with no blocking the player who draws the highest point route wins

2) just because I blocked in this game, doesn't mean I normally do. most games I just look to complete my routes, and then ending the game as quickly as possible, I find that closing out he game quickly is as likely to result in opponent not finishing their route as actively trying to block them.

or is ending the game fast also not valid? (think playing out six 6s, and two 4s 20 turns to draw cards and 8 turns to play trains) very rarely will someone complete multiple long routes in so few turns.

sometimes blocking happens unintentionally as I am looking to make my train continuous, other times the opportunity presents itself, like my short routes are finished, and the opponent clearly has longer/higher scoring destinations which I can see where they need to connect, what do i do deliberately ignore that and watch them pick up 40 points for destinations against my 17, or try to win the game?
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

james1974 wrote: 27 March 2023, 01:24
Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 10:37

Lol whatever you want to think dude. I can play normal mode and give you a red thumb. It’s not reporting you, it’s just so we don’t ever match up again. I don’t want to play with blockers and I can do that by red thumbing the ones who purposely block with no reason other than to block when they didn’t otherwise need that route.

Arena is for the super competitive people and if you’re blocking you’re obviously super competitive.
Problem with this is

2) just because I blocked in this game, doesn't mean I normally do. most games I just look to complete my routes, and then ending the game as quickly as possible, I find that closing out he game quickly is as likely to result in opponent not finishing their route as actively trying to block them.

or is ending the game fast also not valid? (think playing out six 6s, and two 4s 20 turns to draw cards and 8 turns to play trains) very rarely will someone complete multiple long routes in so few turns.

sometimes blocking happens unintentionally as I am looking to make my train continuous, other times the opportunity presents itself, like my short routes are finished, and the opponent clearly has longer/higher scoring destinations which I can see where they need to connect, what do i do deliberately ignore that and watch them pick up 40 points for destinations against my 17, or try to win the game?
Like I said before, you can block purposely in a game with me. I’ll just give you a red thumb afterward so I don’t ever have to play with you again. It’s different than playing 6s to gather points and finish quicker as the purpose is more malicious and it’s not fun which is why I play simple games and not arena to have fun and not be overly competitive. Also why I primarily play four player, less blocking and more strategy than who can get lucky enough to draw the cards for the 6s first.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

james1974 wrote: 27 March 2023, 01:24

Problem with this is

In a two player game, it's almost always about who can complete a continuous train of high value segments. Most of the high value tickets involve some shorter segments which are a drain and can be beaten with quickly connected 6s. Vancouver to Montreal and Los Angeles to Miami might be exceptions, they can be connected primarily with 6s and especially the northern ticket is easy to extend to a long continuous train. I'd rather start with Duluth to Houston and Portland to Phoenix than Los Angles to New York and Denver to Pittsburg (or some other sort of overlapping ticket) even though they are of lesser value.
Fromper

Post by Fromper »

I knew this debate existed, and read the start of this thread months ago when I started playing here. But I just experienced it first hand for the first time today. :o

It was a 2 player arena game, where we're both highly rated, so you'd think my opponent would expect competitive play. My starting destination tickets were awful, all 3 choices only worth single digit points. So I only took 2 of them, and planned to just build as many 6 long routes as possible and maybe block if the opportunity presented itself. In a game with better destinations, I'll focus on my own destination tickets, but if mine are terrible, this is the best winning strategy. This is all learned experience from playing over 700 games here, most of them in arena with only 2 players, and reaching top 100 in arena this way.

So we're building trains, and it was obvious where my opponent was going with a long series of routes at one point, so I blocked the 3 long gray route into Los Angeles. If he'd played smart, he could have found a way around my block and possibly still completed the long ticket, or possibly made me build some short, low point routes to stop him, so we both end up in a lower point, competitive game. But he went for the most obvious possible alternate route, and left me with another easy block on a short, gray route. So, of course, I take it.

That's when he surprised me: He tells me in chat that he'll red thumb me. I respond with a simple "Blocking is part of the game." Then, he calls me rude, a bad player, a bad person, and tells me to stop talking before I even posted a 2nd chat comment. This guy is near the top 100 in 2 player arena, out of more than 6000 people, and apparently, he gets angry and starts insulting people for playing competitively? And he calls me rude??? :roll:

I can understand someone like Kaladry, above, red thumbing me to avoid having to play me again, if they don't like my playing style. Whatever. But getting angry about it and insulting me? WTF???

Needless to say, I red thumbed him right back, and reported him for being abusive in the chat.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Fromper wrote: 29 April 2023, 23:26 This guy is near the top 100 in 2 player arena, out of more than 6000 people, and apparently, he gets angry and starts insulting people for playing competitively? And he calls me rude??? :roll:
I'm gonna quote @Admitted here: "even 500 elo isn't immune to whining" let alone a 300 :lol:

I once had a 500 Elo player too being rude after I tried to block him. He's kinda a regular in top100 arena, yet he engaged in this pathetic rant after I tried to block him (without even succeding) calling me the worst player ever. We still face from time to time and he never won again against me, fun shit :lol: :lol:

Return to “Ticket to Ride”