Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
coffeelion322

Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by coffeelion322 »

I've heard from a couple Ticket to Ride connoisseurs that they get threatened in the chat, rage quit on, or straight up reported if they block their opponents. My question is, what the hey? If someone clearly has a certain route that's going to get them a lot of points and the opponent has the opportunity to block it and increase their chance of winning, why shouldn't they? The goal is to get the most points, after all. I get that it's really frustrating when it happens to you, but getting angry at the opponent is childish. I would consider buying a hard copy of the game and playing it solo if you just want to build some train routes uninterrupted.
macpuddock

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by macpuddock »

I totally agree! Sorry you experienced this
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

I had an opponent get stuck in Seattle today. They drew new destinations and quit before making a choice. I found them playing another game a couple minutes later. If anything gets reported, it should be this behavior.
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

thg0724 wrote: 13 January 2023, 06:22 I had an opponent get stuck in Seattle today. They drew new destinations and quit before making a choice. I found them playing another game a couple minutes later. If anything gets reported, it should be this behavior.
Why should they be reported for quitting and starting a new game if they didn’t like playing with you and your style of gameplay?
They already took the penalty by quitting the game and getting -10 karma. Why should they get doubly punished? Give them a red thumb for your personal opinion if you want but it s not report worthy.
Flop Hecki

Post by Flop Hecki »

ManonIronteeth wrote: 22 January 2023, 01:35
thg0724 wrote: 13 January 2023, 06:22 I had an opponent get stuck in Seattle today. They drew new destinations and quit before making a choice. I found them playing another game a couple minutes later. If anything gets reported, it should be this behavior.
Why should they be reported for quitting and starting a new game if they didn’t like playing with you and your style of gameplay?
They already took the penalty by quitting the game and getting -10 karma. Why should they get doubly punished? Give them a red thumb for your personal opinion if you want but it s not report worthy.
Cause they waste some elses time.
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

Flop Hecki wrote: 22 January 2023, 20:49
They actually chose to take a penalty and NOT waste your time.
Flop Hecki

Post by Flop Hecki »

ManonIronteeth wrote: 23 January 2023, 00:41

If you quit after 10 minutes you have wasted 10 minutes of your opponents' time.
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

Flop Hecki wrote: 23 January 2023, 02:59
ManonIronteeth wrote: 23 January 2023, 00:41

If you quit after 10 minutes you have wasted 10 minutes of your opponents' time.
You still get ELO for winning since they quit based on the percent of the game completed so it’s not really a waste of time. They took negative ELO and a -10 Karma penalty which is fair. It’s only your opinion that despite you still being counted as the winner and they took their penalty that it’s a waste of your time.
AamStarRunner

Post by AamStarRunner »

I’m guessing a lot that you’re hearing of are reports of people who block for the sake of it. This happened to me the other day. His route was on the other side of the map, but once he figured out where I needed to go, he blocked me.
Fair enough, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt, like you suggest. So I placed a train to go around and he blocked again. Different routes that couldn’t possible be related to a strategy. This happened one more time before I quit the game (I’d rather take the karma penalty than play out a game where this is happening) and reported them.
“It’s a game, they did what it took to win, isn’t that the point?” No. Being a ***** is not the point. Kingmaking is explicitly against the rules, so should this be.
Blocking where it turns out the person had a route they were trying to get to, I get. I don’t report. That’s stupid. But players who are deliberately screw with people and try to ruin the game? IMO reporting them should be done early and often.
synnical77

Post by synnical77 »

AamStarRunner wrote: 24 January 2023, 00:45 I’m guessing a lot that you’re hearing of are reports of people who block for the sake of it. This happened to me the other day. His route was on the other side of the map, but once he figured out where I needed to go, he blocked me.
Fair enough, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt, like you suggest. So I placed a train to go around and he blocked again. Different routes that couldn’t possible be related to a strategy. This happened one more time before I quit the game (I’d rather take the karma penalty than play out a game where this is happening) and reported them.
“It’s a game, they did what it took to win, isn’t that the point?” No. Being a ***** is not the point. Kingmaking is explicitly against the rules, so should this be.
Blocking where it turns out the person had a route they were trying to get to, I get. I don’t report. That’s stupid. But players who are deliberately screw with people and try to ruin the game? IMO reporting them should be done early and often.
Blocking another player's route options is big-time part of the game. If I can block you I'm going to do it. If you try to sneak around that - I'll block there too. That's the game. Calling people names, reporting, or rage quitting it is the bad behavior.

Not everyone plays board games the way you demand they do.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”