Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
thg0724

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by thg0724 »

dhnyny wrote: 24 February 2023, 22:13
dwiawdfi wrote: 24 February 2023, 12:24A lot of ppl just don't try to win, they attempt to make you lose. What is the point of playing?!
This is completely incoherent. It is a zero-sum game. If you win, I lose. If I win, you lose. It is impossible to try to win without trying to make your opponent lose.
It's not really a zero sum game when three or more are playing. As you know, I think blocking is a part of the game, but I do recognize that in any given game it tends to be applied unevenly.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

Played this game not too long after commenting this morning. I wonder if I have been reported!

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=350792823

Really, take a look at his reaction right after I built Helena->Salt Lake City.
Last edited by thg0724 on 26 February 2023, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
DrakeStorm

Post by DrakeStorm »

Do the Anti-Blocking people realize that if the designer wanted there to be no blocking then he would have just made it so everyone could use every route. And why did the designer specifically make it so in a 2-3 Player game you can only use the double routes once. Obviously he wanted people to get blocked, to sometimes miss a ticket, etc. Without that, the game really is just who draws the best tickets.

I haven't played enough 4P games on this site yet, so I don't know if there really are a bunch of people who just randomly pick 1 player and block them all game without trying to win. Now that would be annoying.

But if someone builds from LA to the center of the board and also builds from NY to center of the board and then someone else blocks the connecting route(s) - well that is completely fair game. No one should be allowed to connect all the big cities and then draw 10 tickets for some massive score. It is risk vs. reward - draw lots of tickets = big reward, but big risk of getting blocked.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

DrakeStorm wrote: 25 February 2023, 22:48 Do the Anti-Blocking people realize that if the designer wanted there to be no blocking then he would have just made it so everyone could use every route. And why did the designer specifically make it so in a 2-3 Player game you can only use the double routes once. Obviously he wanted people to get blocked, to sometimes miss a ticket, etc. Without that, the game really is just who draws the best tickets.
Somehow they see an "incidental block", one which results from you claiming a route to compete a ticket, as different from an "intentional block", one which results from you claiming a route you "don't need".
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

thg0724 wrote: 25 February 2023, 15:25
Kaladry wrote: 25 February 2023, 13:35 I give personal red thumbs to people who block because I abhor that kind of gameplay. I don’t play in the arena because I’m playing to have fun and that strategy is not one that makes the game fun for others.
You might not find the game fun when blocking is involved, but don't speak for all "others".
I’m speaking for myself dude. Sorry if you don’t like that I’ll give you a red thumb for blocking me. And I’m obviously not alone in that sentiment so I can speak for the others who are also annoyed by blockers. I fully accept that there are two camps of people in this. Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19 Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.
This is absolutely wrong, though.

Everything on this site is competitive EXCEPT training games.

Arena is a very specific subset of competitive games with a separate scoring system, very specific rules, and a set time period.

Normal games are long term competitive (i.e., overall rankings through ELO).

So, if you want to play a non-competitive game with no blocking, there is only 1 reasonable choice.
Training games where you specifically post that you only want non -blocking players.

Any other mode, you cannot expect people to ignore legal strategies that can help them win.

It's like if a sub group of chess players decided it was rude to capture queens because they are the most fun piece to use. Then they start reporting people for knocking out their queens. This is no different. If those chess players want, they can start training mode games and post that this is a non-queen capturing game.

But no, you don't get to play a game that results in an ELO change and just decide that other players shouldn't be using legal moves. That's a very odd expectation, don't you think?
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19
Kaladry wrote: 25 February 2023, 13:35 I give personal red thumbs to people who block because I abhor that kind of gameplay. I don’t play in the arena because I’m playing to have fun and that strategy is not one that makes the game fun for others.
You might not find the game fun when blocking is involved, but don't speak for all "others".
I’m speaking for myself dude. Sorry if you don’t like that I’ll give you a red thumb for blocking me. And I’m obviously not alone in that sentiment so I can speak for the others who are also annoyed by blockers. I fully accept that there are two camps of people in this. Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.
If you weren't speaking for others, you shouldn't have said "others", you should have said "me". I've blocked and been blocked today and found those games fun. I complimented one person on their block and they said "thanks" and hoped there were no bad feelings. I said "of course, not!"

I have no problem with being red thumbed by those who don't want to play with me because I believe blocking is a part of the game. I do have a problem with blocking being characterized as "malicious" or "unsportsmanlike" and express that in the forum. If someone objects to blocking in the game, I don't confront them, I just finish the game and move on.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

Remkar wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:41
Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19 Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.
This is absolutely wrong, though.

Everything on this site is competitive EXCEPT training games.

Arena is a very specific subset of competitive games with a separate scoring system, very specific rules, and a set time period.

Normal games are long term competitive (i.e., overall rankings through ELO).

So, if you want to play a non-competitive game with no blocking, there is only 1 reasonable choice.
Training games where you specifically post that you only want non -blocking players.

Any other mode, you cannot expect people to ignore legal strategies that can help them win.

It's like if a sub group of chess players decided it was rude to capture queens because they are the most fun piece to use. Then they start reporting people for knocking out their queens. This is no different. If those chess players want, they can start training mode games and post that this is a non-queen capturing game.

But no, you don't get to play a game that results in an ELO change and just decide that other players shouldn't be using legal moves. That's a very odd expectation, don't you think?
Lol whatever you want to think dude. I can play normal mode and give you a red thumb. It’s not reporting you, it’s just so we don’t ever match up again. I don’t want to play with blockers and I can do that by red thumbing the ones who purposely block with no reason other than to block when they didn’t otherwise need that route.

Arena is for the super competitive people and if you’re blocking you’re obviously super competitive.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

thg0724 wrote: 26 February 2023, 02:50
Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19

If you weren't speaking for others, you shouldn't have said "others", you should have said "me". I've blocked and been blocked today and found those games fun. I complimented one person on their block and they said "thanks" and hoped there were no bad feelings. I said "of course, not!"

I have no problem with being red thumbed by those who don't want to play with me because I believe blocking is a part of the game. I do have a problem with blocking being characterized as "malicious" or "unsportsmanlike" and express that in the forum. If someone objects to blocking in the game, I don't confront them, I just finish the game and move on.
I can use the term “others” if I want to. The term does not mean “everyone” as you are apparently taking it to mean, it just means “more people”.

Good for you for complimenting someone else on their block, I really don’t care but give yourself a pat on the back since you seem so proud to have not been annoyed by their block. Good job.

You can believe whatever you want to believe and myself and the others who agree that it is rude to do can continue believing that purposely blocking when not needing that particular route is malicious and unsportsmanlike. None of us will change each others minds as we all seem pretty set in our opinion. It just bothers me how rude you’re being about us having our opinion and that you seem to think you’re superior for using that strategy. No, you’re not superior but you are being rude.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

Red Thumbing players who block is ridiculous!

If you don't want a blocking game that's absolutely fine, its certainly a valid way to want to play but it is essentially a house rule. Arrange your own games to play that way, don't come into a public game and then red thumb people who don't play by an unofficial house rule.

The game designer says it it a valid way to play so people just need to arrange their own games. Use the Presentation feature. Great a Community Group for non-blocking players and only allow players in that group to play.

The site already has many ways to restrict games to certain groups, so use them. Dont expect people in random open games to play by your own rules. Even if tis not an ~Arena games doesn't mean its a 'friendly' game.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”