Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mr_Magic

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by Mr_Magic »

Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19

I’m speaking for myself dude. Sorry if you don’t like that I’ll give you a red thumb for blocking me. And I’m obviously not alone in that sentiment so I can speak for the others who are also annoyed by blockers. I fully accept that there are two camps of people in this. Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.
No, those who don't like to block should make their own games in a private group for this house-rule.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

Remkar wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:41
Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19 Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.
This is absolutely wrong, though.

Everything on this site is competitive EXCEPT training games.

Arena is a very specific subset of competitive games with a separate scoring system, very specific rules, and a set time period.

Normal games are long term competitive (i.e., overall rankings through ELO).

So, if you want to play a non-competitive game with no blocking, there is only 1 reasonable choice.
Training games where you specifically post that you only want non -blocking players.

Any other mode, you cannot expect people to ignore legal strategies that can help them win.

It's like if a sub group of chess players decided it was rude to capture queens because they are the most fun piece to use. Then they start reporting people for knocking out their queens. This is no different. If those chess players want, they can start training mode games and post that this is a non-queen capturing game.

But no, you don't get to play a game that results in an ELO change and just decide that other players shouldn't be using legal moves. That's a very odd expectation, don't you think?
This is exactly right. There are already so many options for people to play by their own rulesets that are non-standard. Use them!
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Imagine being mad at the enemy team because the goalkeeper tries to prevent you from scoring instead of scoring their own goals. Lmao, what an absolute loser mindset
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 10:37
Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 01:19 Those people who like to block should just keep it to arena mode.

Arena is a very specific subset of competitive games with a separate scoring system, very specific rules, and a set time period.

So, if you want to play a non-competitive game with no blocking, there is only 1 reasonable choice.
Training games where you specifically post that you only want non -blocking players.

Any other mode, you cannot expect people to ignore legal strategies that can help them win.

It's like if a sub group of chess players decided it was rude to capture queens because they are the most fun piece to use. Then they start reporting people for knocking out their queens. This is no different. If those chess players want, they can start training mode games and post that this is a non-queen capturing game.

But no, you don't get to play a game that results in an ELO change and just decide that other players shouldn't be using legal moves. That's a very odd expectation, don't you think?
Lol whatever you want to think dude. I can play normal mode and give you a red thumb. It’s not reporting you, it’s just so we don’t ever match up again. I don’t want to play with blockers and I can do that by red thumbing the ones who purposely block with no reason other than to block when they didn’t otherwise need that route.

Arena is for the super competitive people and if you’re blocking you’re obviously super competitive.
I think you're misunderstanding my intent.

This isn't about "whatever I want to think."

I was merely pointing out that the final statement of your prior post:
was objectively incorrect. Regular (non-arena) mode is most certainly meant to be competitive (hence ELO).

I wasn't arguing with anything else (which is why I only quoted the arena statement).

You may certainly play regular mode games all you want and red thumb to your heart's content to try to avoid blockers. It just seems like you (and others like you) are really angry about blockers and competitive players. If you're posting in the forums, it seems like you are seeking change.

Everyone else is trying to let you know that this non-blocking can't be EXPECTED in normal games, so getting angry in the forums won't likely help. You have been offered multiple solutions to make those like you happier, though.

1-play training mode (i.e., non-competitive) games.
2-add presentation notes about non-blocking for your games.
3-find like-minded individuals and only invite them (perhaps create a private group and only allow non-blockers in, and then just open games to them).

Wouldn't that make you guys happier? I don't think the blockers are angry like many of you appear to be (unless you're causing them karma losses for legal play), they're mostly just confused and trying to explain why (and giving you some other options).

I'm certainly not angry (I rarely even play Ticket to Ride), I just saw this thread blowing up and was wondering what was going on, and thought I could clear up some confusion.

I honestly wish everyone the best, and I hope you find a way to play and have fun on here.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

I don’t really care to read your long post so I’m not going to. Obviously we don’t agree on things and there are two camps of people here. I’m not looking to argue like you apparently are but I just came to put in my two cents as another vote for blocking is malicious and should be kept to arena mode and it’s perfectly fine to red thumb those players you don’t want to play with again. Goodbye.
Remkar wrote: 26 February 2023, 18:07
Kaladry wrote: 26 February 2023, 10:37

Lol whatever you want to think dude. I can play normal mode and give you a red thumb. It’s not reporting you, it’s just so we don’t ever match up again. I don’t want to play with blockers and I can do that by red thumbing the ones who purposely block with no reason other than to block when they didn’t otherwise need that route.

Arena is for the super competitive people and if you’re blocking you’re obviously super competitive.
I think you're misunderstanding my intent.

This isn't about "whatever I want to think."

I was merely pointing out that the final statement of your prior post:
was objectively incorrect. Regular (non-arena) mode is most certainly meant to be competitive (hence ELO).

I wasn't arguing with anything else (which is why I only quoted the arena statement).

You may certainly play regular mode games all you want and red thumb to your heart's content to try to avoid blockers. It just seems like you (and others like you) are really angry about blockers and competitive players. If you're posting in the forums, it seems like you are seeking change.

Everyone else is trying to let you know that this non-blocking can't be EXPECTED in normal games, so getting angry in the forums won't likely help. You have been offered multiple solutions to make those like you happier, though.

1-play training mode (i.e., non-competitive) games.
2-add presentation notes about non-blocking for your games.
3-find like-minded individuals and only invite them (perhaps create a private group and only allow non-blockers in, and then just open games to them).

Wouldn't that make you guys happier? I don't think the blockers are angry like many of you appear to be (unless you're causing them karma losses for legal play), they're mostly just confused and trying to explain why (and giving you some other options).

I'm certainly not angry (I rarely even play Ticket to Ride), I just saw this thread blowing up and was wondering what was going on, and thought I could clear up some confusion.

I honestly wish everyone the best, and I hope you find a way to play and have fun on here.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

I don’t really care to read your long post so I’m not going to.
XDDDDDD
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

That's a shame, as it made some good points.
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

Remkar’s suggestion to create a non-blocking group is the best idea I’ve seen here.

Training mode isn’t ideal since (at least the last time I used it) you can’t play turn-based. If there are a lot of players who don’t want blocking in their TTR games, then wait times shouldn’t be an issue. You can restrict users to a group you’re a member of.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

You can use Training Mode turn based, at least you can in other games here.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

Mr_Magic wrote: 27 February 2023, 18:25 You can use Training Mode turn based, at least you can in other games here.
You can use training mode if you’d like to. I don’t want to.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”