Pass and Auto-Pass

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Brainiac3507

Re: Pass and Auto-Pass

Post by Brainiac3507 »

Waikirikiri wrote: 19 January 2023, 03:40 There can be a reason for having "Auto Pass" turned off.

If you drawn the Ambush Card and have been "auto-passing" then each time your opponent attacks one of your units in close assault you will be asked if you want to use your Ambush.

This pause can tell your attentive opponent that you have the Ambush Card and they can rearrange their attacks.

I've seen it happen in the old DoW system.

Honestly, I think that not having a slight advantage isn't worth the pain and suffering on the other side, so I always turn auto-pass on. :)
ripted pizzaz

Post by ripted pizzaz »

Between DoW and BGA, I've played somewhere along the lines of 2,000 online games of Memoir 44. The number of times I would have changed my attack because of a suspected Ambush card is roughly three. Give or take two. It really doesn't seem worth it. I notice this a lot at the start of a turn-based tournament when 15 games pop up and everyone's settings have to be changed, but it takes a few days for us to remember.

I vote for Default Enable Auto Pass.
Utred

Post by Utred »

Honestly, I think that not having a slight advantage isn't worth the pain and suffering on the other side, so I always turn auto-pass on.
agreed.

When on the M44 site, I would always have my [mouse] pointer ready to click, "do not use ambush," button as fast as possible. Leaving no pause, hoping that my opponent wouldn't suspect anything.

Here on BGA you would want to have auto-pass on, until the moment you wish to execute said Ambush.
Maybe if Ambush could be designated to a specific unit? Many players don't understand the unique ability that the Ambush card brings to the table...using it as soon as they acquire it. using it in the silliest of situations (Armor in a city, etc.). Allowing ambush to be assigned a specific unit, oppose to playing it willy Nilly would be ideal. Could even choose multiple units, whichever one is attacked first.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Utred wrote: 01 February 2023, 04:29
Honestly, I think that not having a slight advantage isn't worth the pain and suffering on the other side, so I always turn auto-pass on.
agreed.

When on the M44 site, I would always have my [mouse] pointer ready to click, "do not use ambush," button as fast as possible. Leaving no pause, hoping that my opponent wouldn't suspect anything.

Here on BGA you would want to have auto-pass on, until the moment you wish to execute said Ambush.
Maybe if Ambush could be designated to a specific unit? Many players don't understand the unique ability that the Ambush card brings to the table...using it as soon as they acquire it. using it in the silliest of situations (Armor in a city, etc.). Allowing ambush to be assigned a specific unit, oppose to playing it willy Nilly would be ideal. Could even choose multiple units, whichever one is attacked first.
This is kind of contradictory. On one side you said that it's just a "slight advantage missing" and on the other side you want a way to program a complex triggering mechanism. We are not going to spend dev time on that feature if players do think it's just a "slight advantage missing".
Ignoramus1

Post by Ignoramus1 »

We are not going to spend dev time on that feature if players do think it's just a "slight advantage missing".
What about Flow of the game?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Ignoramus1 wrote: 02 February 2023, 09:41
We are not going to spend dev time on that feature if players do think it's just a "slight advantage missing".
What about Flow of the game?
What do you mean ?
If players do think it's just a "slight advantage missing", we can just put the auto-pass by default to have a similar flow than the one of DoW App
ripted pizzaz

Post by ripted pizzaz »

It's the tiniest of advantages in actually winning that are gained by having it on by default, but it's pretty annoying from a user enjoyment standpoint.

**I should qualify "pretty annoying". It may be the only annoying thing I find about playing here. And it's not terrible. Just noticeable when playing turn based and especially starting a tournament when you have 15 games suddenly pop up, and any close assault triggers a pause.
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

I'm pushing this one up again. I'm in the Round tournament final stage and there are two players who don't enable auto-pass. What's more, they don't even respond to requests to turn it on.

I would love to have it enabled by default, have it as an option in a game request or some other way that I can avoid paying against someone who does not turn it on.
Winn81

Post by Winn81 »

It's nice to have the option, it's an improvement over the old DoW configuration. Though it would be better if auto-pass was enabled by default and leave it up to the player if they want to turn it off.
"Do your best, have fun, and do not cry" -Major General Winn81
Champion: WW16, WW17, BGG 36, BEWOLF 3, BEWOLF 5, BGA 11, BGA 12, COOL 7, 5 x BoB, Jolt 4, US Open ‘23
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

Is auto-pass by default something we can push as guru for the next arena season?

Return to “Memoir 44”