Bad French Translations for Echoes

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
pv666

Bad French Translations for Echoes

Post by pv666 »

Not sure where to put it, but : there are a lot of badly translated Echoes card in French, sometimes to the point where the effects are impossible to understand, but also inconsistencies, weird phrasing...
How can we contribute to correcting those ?
Micah Stairs

Re: Bad French Translations for Echoes

Post by Micah Stairs »

pv666 wrote: 19 January 2023, 19:24 Not sure where to put it, but : there are a lot of badly translated Echoes card in French, sometimes to the point where the effects are impossible to understand, but also inconsistencies, weird phrasing...
How can we contribute to correcting those ?
You can contribute translations here: https://boardgamearena.com/translation? ... le_id=1113.
pv666

Post by pv666 »

Thanks, I've started to enter the French Iello edition translations. Long process as the interface does not tell you directly what string correspond to what card.
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

Try picking a card in the "browse all cards" popup and then look up the translations you want to pick?
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

pv666 wrote: 19 January 2023, 21:20 Thanks, I've started to enter the French Iello edition translations. Long process as the interface does not tell you directly what string correspond to what card.
Iello? Keep in mind that BGA is using the text on the Third Edition cards as published by Asmadi Games (the original publisher). Be careful that you don't provide translations from Second (or prior) edition cards.

From what I can see here , there's no Third Edition published by Iello.

...and now that I've done some digging to verify what I remember from several years ago, a rep from Iello confirmed that they won't be publishing future expansions.

...and having read some other threads while digging for the above source, I was reminded that the Iello printings had many problems, including gratuitous alteration of game terminology, which in turn led to actual errors in terms of how a card functions.

So the last thing you want is for your desire to improve the translations to end up introducing different bad translations or other problems. :-]

And I sure hope you get to read this before you go too far down the road of updating...
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

Ah good catch, I didn't even notice the word "Iello"! Yes, I agree completely with bananasplay.
pv666

Post by pv666 »

I understand the concerns, but not all points you made:
- there is only one French edition (the iello one) so what does it mean they change the terminology ? with respect to what ? it's a different language
- French people who know the game have likely played with that version only anyway
- I know of the changes made in the 3rd edition (I only play with them in real life). I dont think this would be a problem, and does not concern echoes afaik.
- some existing translations on BGA were objectively strange (like different terms used to translate "splayed")

I agree we should have one consistent approach, but that does not yet seem to be the case for Echoes, so I figured starting from the commercial French product made more sense. I've only changed 6-7 cards so far I think, given how cumbersome it is to relate "strings" to their corresponding cards.
(wouldnt it be better to rely on a github repo for that by the way, assuming there are config files for card texts ?)
I'm open to suggestions and in any case ready to help... or not do anything if it's better that way.

NB: i have played the original base game both in french and english (on bga)
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

BGA doesn't have an alternative way to submit translations. Even as the developer of Innovation, I have to use the same translation tool I linked above. Definitely room for improvement, I agree, but it's what we have to work with.

Just make sure whichever translations you add actually correspond with what the text says on the 3rd edition cards. I'm not familiar with the textual differences between 2nd and 3rd editions. The 3rd edition doesn't have an official French version, so I suppose the terminology that is used is up to the French player base on BGA. Consistency is what's most important in my opinion!

Return to “Innovation”