The game is too random

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
nccc

The game is too random

Post by nccc »

I know the strategy is still important, but the randomness is too high.
U can draw a vp card which u can't fuifill, draw a guest which gives u negative points, and never finding the building u need.
Thoughts?
TheReeve

Re: The game is too random

Post by TheReeve »

I just posted this video that addresses concern about randomness: https://youtu.be/6gYdzJNggak
JCWeb

Post by JCWeb »

In my view, many of the concerns about randomness are mitigated by the 2d edition and the Upstairs Downstairs expansion elements, notably the four new Servants, something I would hope to see implemented on BGA in the near future.
Joseph2302

Post by Joseph2302 »

JCWeb wrote: 30 January 2023, 03:30 In my view, many of the concerns about randomness are mitigated by the 2d edition and the Upstairs Downstairs expansion elements, notably the four new Servants, something I would hope to see implemented on BGA in the near future.
Also in the 2nd edition, you can pay £800 to take any tile from the bag, which guarantees you can find something you need for an objective card
ylathor

Post by ylathor »

Maybe the fault is with yourself. There are players who have a very high win percentage, so they seem to have an edge when playing.
There is randomness in the game, and it can feel like you had no chance, and maybe you didn't in some games. But if you play the game efficient, make good choices, then that makes a huge difference. If you like the game, practice it, if not play something else.
al_fredo

Post by al_fredo »

Also in the 2nd edition, you can pay £800 to take any tile from the bag, which guarantees you can find something you need for an objective card
Wait, is this true? I don't recall seeing that in the rules!
Duane Roelands

Post by Duane Roelands »

If you have the Useful Man, you can remove him from the game to search the bag for a specific tile and place it on the £800 in the Builder's Market. I'm not aware of a rule that allows you to simply pay £800 and get any tile you want. Got a page number for the rule?
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

Correct, you have to discard the Useful Man (losing the powers of the Useful Man for the rest of the game as a new one cannot be hired) in order to search the bag for a desired tile, which is then placed in the £800 right-most spot in the market. It can then be purchased, but any modifiers are taken into account normally (so if you wanted a State Room tile, discarded the Useful Man to find it in the bag and then placed it in the £800 space, you would pay £1000 pounds for it). Page 8 in the Upstairs, Downstairs rulebook.

Dan
mturton

Post by mturton »

There may be players with high win rates, but that says little about the enjoyability of the degree of randomness. This is a really excellent game that I love, but the randomness mars it. Quit playing tonight because I drew runs of those idiotic negative VP guests that cost me, spoiling the last match as they piled up early, had to play whole match knowing it was a lost cause. ADDED: Finally got the french garden... at least the can be weeded out.
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

I took a bit of a risk with this as an online adaptation because it only showcases ½ of the game (the mechanics). The theme is probably a bigger part of this game and its success, and theme really only shines when you’re sitting at a table with family and friends. And the negative guests are integral to the theme, as they are integral to every Romantic, Victorian, and Edwardian story that I have ever read.

Those who have no interest in the theme (the majority) and are seeking to tackle Obsession as an optimization puzzle will indeed have your reaction, and rightly so. It's a wobbly bicycle and many want a racecar. I am just happy there are countless racecars out there that do indeed give superb optimization puzzles. Obsession, for good or bad, is wedded to input randomness in service of theme.

Return to “Obsession”