The terms Real-time and Turn-based are misleading

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Strode

Re: The terms Real-time and Turn-based are misleading

Post by Strode »

"Offline" seems to imply you can play the game without being online, which isn't true.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

My absolute first idea for alternative terms was "fast" and "slow". :)
Seeing as how there isn't any real difference between the modes other than the amount of time you get.
cigma

Post by cigma »

fruktansvärt wrote: 29 January 2023, 02:28 My absolute first idea for alternative terms was "fast" and "slow". :)
I think this is much to inaccurate. Instead I'd suggest something like "continous" and "paused". I'm not an english native, so maybe these words are not
the best, but I think you get my idea.

Anyway, I am also fine with the words like they are now. I got used to it, and other platforms use the same words.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

Not sure turn-based/realtime are misleading, but this topic suggestions sure are :D
how about bringing this in the pot? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_chess
feliciadb

Post by feliciadb »

New player here. I don't see a countdown when I was playing a game, but got penalized for time? No chats from the opponents saying I was slow. How was I supposed to know? BGA glitched hard one time. Couldn't pull up the screen for 5 minutes. Maybe that messed things up? Confused here.
cigma

Post by cigma »

feliciadb wrote: 29 January 2023, 22:17 New player here. I don't see a countdown when I was playing a game, but got penalized for time? No chats from the opponents saying I was slow. How was I supposed to know? BGA glitched hard one time. Couldn't pull up the screen for 5 minutes. Maybe that messed things up? Confused here.
You got your penality for this game here https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=336092021
It was a turn-based game with 1 move per day, which actually means you start with the triple time (3 days) and can win back up to 1 day whenever you make your turn. You made one move (#5 in game history) on 14.01.23 and your next move on 18.01. (#7 in game history). That's were you got your penality from.

When you are in a real-time game, a glitch of 5 minutes is very likely to bring you out of time and get penalized, if the other players agree on that. So better pay attention to the timing of a game table before you enter and the ticking clock during game play.

I answered here exceptionally because you are new to BGA, but please next time look for a suitable thread or start a new one.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Discussions”