how to advance near the top in arena mode

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
starman72

how to advance near the top in arena mode

Post by starman72 »

I'm at around rank 30 in arena mode, so when I win I typically gain about 3 to 5 points but when I lose it typically costs 20-30 points, even with.the setting of only playing at my level. To break into the top 10, I'd need to gain about 300 points, but even if I have a 10 to 1 winning ratio, I no longer obtain much of a net increase in points. I'm wondering if there are arena tournaments or some more effective way to select to play only very strong opponents, so that it is possible to advance.
thg0724

Re: how to advance near the top in arena mode

Post by thg0724 »

Maybe players in the Top 10 are winning more than 90% of their games?
starman72

Post by starman72 »

Looking at the top players, they do win a very high percentage of their games, but even if you win them all (which is nearly impossible, given that there is some luck involved), by the time you get to a rank around 2100, you'd only be gaining a point or two per game. It doesn't look like they play enough games (who would have the time anyway?) to move up with such slow gains.
Sysyphus

Post by Sysyphus »

The main problem is that the Elite division has a pool of players too wide. Most top players cannot even play each other, so we end up playing a contest of who is going to play the most games against players who have no chance, and lose one here and there.
It is not very interesting for either player.

Arena with some a ladder system season to season would be much more interesting.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

@starman72: You can look at the game history of the top ranked players. They play up to 15-20 games per day and win around 95% of the games. I just looked at one player who had 40 games in the last few days and lost 2 of them.

Thus one has to be a top player AND devote incredibly much time to climb into the top spots. Even getting into the top 20 needs both talent and time. I am around top 50 at the moment and will not even try to get into top 20...
Qorlas

Post by Qorlas »

The top players mostly already played online in previous versions of this game so they have mostly thousands games of experience.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

starman72 wrote: 06 February 2023, 00:17 I'm at around rank 30 in arena mode, so when I win I typically gain about 3 to 5 points but when I lose it typically costs 20-30 points, even with.the setting of only playing at my level. To break into the top 10, I'd need to gain about 300 points, but even if I have a 10 to 1 winning ratio, I no longer obtain much of a net increase in points. I'm wondering if there are arena tournaments or some more effective way to select to play only very strong opponents, so that it is possible to advance.
To be honest you don't seem to understand very well how Elo rating works. Playing only very strong opponents wouldn't help at all, since you would have a WAY lower winrate against them. Not to mention that your queue times would often be absurdly long.

It is true instead what Sysyphus says about the imbalance of the matches: a match between a 2000 and a 1400 is just not interesting for both, but the problem is more about the amount of players than about the system. The matchmaking system could indeed be improved by making it wait longer before pairing two players with very different Elo rating, waiting for better pairings, but if the player pool doesn't grow the problem would only be a bit mitigated, not resolved.
Sysyphus wrote: 06 February 2023, 03:50 Most top players cannot even play each other
What do you mean?
flolem

Post by flolem »

I'm not an expert at all but just by watching the stats in arena, I think having a diamond league (like in azul which has more or less same stats in arena) would be a little better.

Most of top players play live game and a lot of game that allow them to increase their Elita arena score (EAS) more easily.

I think also, it all depends against who are you playing when you are still not in elite.
If you are playing and winning against only opponents with better EAS for many games, your EAS will increase more.

Then when you reach elite, pretty random with so many player in Elite.
More than 20% of all arena players are in elite at the end of the season.

Arena mode is not perfect..
And the opposite is true as well. On some game with a low number of people playing arena, I find myself more than I would want playing against the top players (and losing)
starman72

Post by starman72 »

@Sysyphus agree, thanks for your input.
by Sysyphus » 06 February 2023, 02:50

The main problem is that the Elite division has a pool of players too wide. Most top players cannot even play each other, so we end up playing a contest of who is going to play the most games against players who have no chance, and lose one here and there.
It is not very interesting for either player.

Arena with some a ladder system season to season would be much more interesting.
Sysyphus

Post by Sysyphus »

Sysyphus wrote: 06 February 2023, 03:50 Most top players cannot even play each other
What do you mean?
It is hard to find the top players for some Arena games. There is a clear top 20 (or so), it is not that easy to match with any of those players in Arena out of the 2000 (?) that are present in the Elite league.

At American nights, you just find the same 2/3 top 100 players. But even then, the gap with their level is pretty significant.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”