Hearts update is now in alpha

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ufm

Hearts update is now in alpha

Post by ufm »

Hello, a new update of Hearts is waiting for your feedback and approval before release :)
The update addresses most of issues raised by bug reports and suggestions.
To test this version please visit here: https://boardgamearena.com/reviewer?game=heartsbugfixes
If you are not a BGA reviewer please send a message or leave a comment here, I will add you to the player group.

Change list

- Automatically play the last trick (#16451)
- Allow pre-selecting a card to play (#10410)
- Automatically play the starting card of each hand (#16450)
- Added various player count options, now 3~8 players games are possible
- Added 25 (training mode only) / 50 / 150 / 200 initial points option
- Added 'Maximum hand limit' option which limits the number of maximum hands in a single game
- Captured cards move to the trick winner's card zone instead of player panel
- Unplayable cards become semi-transparent
- Added 'Queen of Spades breaks Heart' option (#19833)
- Larger card size and cleaner card style, can be reverted by changing preference option (#30415)
- Added 'Points in the first trick' option (#30924)
- Added 'Positive moon scoring' option (#11206)
- The game log records passing direction and passed/received cards (#52298, #20954)
- Added 'Jack of Diamonds bonus' option (#32415)
- Added 'Count hand scores and tricks' option (#43721, #44239)
- Automatically ends the hand when all point cards are out or the lead player is assured to take all remaining tricks (#26431)
- Changed text card logs into symbols to match card images (#47096)
- Adjusted card pass direction (starting from left, zigzag to the center) and added 'Remove no pass hands' option
- Added trick-related 'Shoot the sun' and 'No trick bonus' option
- Added sound effects, can toggle by changing preference option
- Fixed bugs and UI issues
dexdouglas

Re: Hearts update is now in alpha

Post by dexdouglas »

Great work! I’ll give it a go.
RavingWanderer

Post by RavingWanderer »

Please check your UI in mobile modes. I looked at the current studio version in Firefox's iPhone emulation mode, and the hand was only partly visible in landscape, flowing out of the whitebox and becoming obscured by the right-side column of stuff. (It was fully visible in portrait, although you might try getting more than one card per row.)

EDITED TO ADD: Things seem to work correctly when resizing the browser window to similar dimensions as the emulation. It looked OK on an Android phone in both portrait and landscape modes. Maybe it is an issue with FF's emulation modes.
MistakenIdentity

Post by MistakenIdentity »

I think it is a bad idea to add options. I think that adding options tends to make a game less popular by making it harder to find the particular game that you want to play.
It can already take a considerable amount of time to find a Hearts game during certain times of day (late at night by U.S. Mountain Time Zone for instance or any time on Friday). Adding more options just makes finding a game harder.
cybrweez

Post by cybrweez »

I don't see how the preselect works? I select a card to play when my turn comes around, it is highlighted, but it doesn't play. When I leave the table and come back, its not highlighted anymore. Am I missing something?
ufm

Post by ufm »

cybrweez wrote: 22 March 2023, 17:07 I don't see how the preselect works? I select a card to play when my turn comes around, it is highlighted, but it doesn't play. When I leave the table and come back, its not highlighted anymore. Am I missing something?
It's a real-time game feature, not for turn-based games.
If selecting a card doesn't play it, check confirmation button on top and the preference option.
cybrweez

Post by cybrweez »

Ah, wouldn't it be more useful for turn based?
ufm

Post by ufm »

Probably, but it's not worth the effort as it's much harder to implement as saving card selection in turn-based requires db change, and it can be troublesome quite frequently in turn-based as another player might slip in unwanted cards or fast play might reveal too much information.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Perhaps an option to "automatically play the card when only one card can be played, yes, even if that reveals information about my hand". That at least wouldn't require any db change (beyond the state of the option). If a developer wanted to be fancy, they could add a configurable random delay ("automatically play after 3-5 hours").
ufm

Post by ufm »

Jellby wrote: 23 March 2023, 13:49 Perhaps an option to "automatically play the card when only one card can be played, yes, even if that reveals information about my hand". That at least wouldn't require any db change (beyond the state of the option). If a developer wanted to be fancy, they could add a configurable random delay ("automatically play after 3-5 hours").
No, I'll never do that. Much larger losses than gains.

Return to “Hearts”