Quitting in the last move to change outcome of game

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
niklassa

Quitting in the last move to change outcome of game

Post by niklassa »

In this tournament game (link below, Roll for the Galaxy), the player Fixelled was massively out of time, already about -41h, yet we patiently waited. We got to the very last move, then he decided to abandon the game. There were no more points to be gained, I was definitely winning this game. Due to the opponent quitting, I'm now out because I somehow got ranked 2nd and it's a knockout system. This should not be possible, and in my opinion, that player should be banned from tournament play.

Game Link: https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=343839191
RobertBr

Re: Quitting in the last move to change outcome of game

Post by RobertBr »

I doubt that is what happened. More likely the third player skipped the player who was behind on time in order to gain a draw. That is just how the rules of tournaments work, its frustrating but it is very well known and no-one has come up with a decent solution for it.
Shivaware

Post by Shivaware »

RobertBr wrote: 11 February 2023, 18:32 I doubt that is what happened. More likely the third player skipped the player who was behind on time in order to gain a draw. That is just how the rules of tournaments work, its frustrating but it is very well known and no-one has come up with a decent solution for it.
Although players are often skipped in tournaments, the log of the linked game shows that this player was not skipped. Unfortunately, the effect is the same. Every other player is tied for 1st place, but if people need to be eliminated, the most recently created accounts go first.

The recent activity shown at https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=190881 shows the player in question has withdrawn from the tournament. I'm not sure if withdrawing from tournaments makes you leave games in progress, or if it's the other way around.
joaobarb

Post by joaobarb »

The "out of time" mechanics should be perfected for sure.
In this example, by not kicking the guy you subject yourself to be freerolled by the other players who can kick him and quit the game for free at any moment.
If players decide not to kick a player that is out of time, that players should be given extra time to not perpetuate the "out of time" status for the rest of the game.
niklassa

Post by niklassa »

It should certainly be the players with less points that are eliminated first. That may not always be fair, but sorting after age of account is never fair. Adding a fairplay option, that is the option to let someone else proceed would also be reasonable, I'm pretty sure my opponent would have done so.

In general, I think most players are very fair. The problem is that BGA somehow manages to amplify the effects of toxic players instead of mitigating them, at least in tournament play. Not that I have the feeling anyone at BGA will ever do something about it, but I guess one can hope :lol:
Jegpeg

Post by Jegpeg »

I agree basing place on age of account is not fair. An alternative to current score would be to randomly alocate places. This would prevent players kicking out out an out of time player because they know it would guarantee a win for them
ylathor

Post by ylathor »

This is my main issue with tournaments. It would be nice to have an environment that allows for competitive play but this is not it. And as far I can tell it is not uncommon.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

Jegpeg wrote: 17 February 2023, 23:05 I agree basing place on age of account is not fair. An alternative to current score would be to randomly alocate places. This would prevent players kicking out out an out of time player because they know it would guarantee a win for them
I thought it was random. What makes you think age of account is used?
niklassa

Post by niklassa »

And Fixelled strikes again:
https://boardgamearena.com/3/rollforthe ... =349134057

At least this time I'm not out of the tournament immediately, but another point lost due to him. Why is Fixelled not banned from tournaments (or BGA in general)? Players like these essentially take the competitiveness out of tournaments.

Does somebody of BGA actually read the forums? Feels like they are pretty idle on tournament issues.
Tibidoux

Post by Tibidoux »

We just had the same problem , tournament isle of cats. We were 3, one was always out of time . I said him to play fast....
Finaly we didn’t finish before the second set, we all loose the game 😢, not rallye normal....

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”