Declining Game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Big Dave 67

Declining Game

Post by Big Dave 67 »

Could someone tell me why someone would join a table and then decline the game when there are no "bad reputation" players waiting to play?
Jellby

Re: Declining Game

Post by Jellby »

You're starting the game with fewer players than the maximum, or with more players than the other player wants. Or they realize they don't have time to play. Or they don't like some of the options in the game (which they didn't see before). Or they don't like some other player in the table for some arbitrary reason. Or they just got invited to another more exciting table...
Big Dave 67

Post by Big Dave 67 »

thanks Jellby. Some additional information:

1. I play 4 player games
2. This is a common occurrence, it probably occurs 50% of the games I start (I play almost every day)
3. Most of the time, they decline as soon as the players acceptance screen pops up (usually within 1-2 seconds)

Not sure if any of this is pertinent but thought I would share. Just seems weird that it happens so frequently.

Dave
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

It might be people joining in the automatic lobby (or maybe in the "new" lobby, I'm not sure how that works), who want a 2- or 3-player game, but don't know they can set their preferences to join only those.
cigma

Post by cigma »

I think this happens very often, if a player joined different tables. If one of their other games starts earlier, they are automatically backed out of your game. So nothing to worry about or to take personally ;-)
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

That would explain joining and quitting, but not declining in the start screen, because as you say once a table goes into the start screen, you automatically leave other tables, so there should only be one start screen. I guess there are still race conditions and glitches, but it shouldn't be the norm.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Jellby wrote: 10 February 2023, 22:00 You're starting the game with fewer players than the maximum, or with more players than the other player wants. Or they realize they don't have time to play. Or they don't like some of the options in the game (which they didn't see before). Or they don't like some other player in the table for some arbitrary reason. Or they just got invited to another more exciting table...
It also might be someone trying to join together with a friend and declining once they realize they didn't manage to do so. Or someone that doesn't want to play with someone who has too low or too high Elo that just joined
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

davehernandez wrote: 10 February 2023, 21:30 Could someone tell me why someone would join a table and then decline the game when there are no "bad reputation" players waiting to play?
I sometimes decline if it takes too long for all players to accept. I figure if it takes them a long time to accept the game might go slowly too.
pnypoo

Post by pnypoo »

i'm fairly new to the site, but i don't see the speed preference for the games offered. bga says they offer games matched to my settings, but it's not true. even though they suggest you accept faster or slower speeds, it doesn't matter if you agree.
tonight i had 4 quitters before i was quick enough to start. then screen froze saying "Creating game..."
I am a slow player. I assume fast players join my game and have learned to quickly quit slow settings.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

I'm pretty sure the most of the time, it's a player joining the table through the automatic lobby.
If they find multiple tables at the same time, they will join them all and, then, decline all but one of the game.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”