Feature Request: Tracking Cards & Showing All Cards

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
haytil

Feature Request: Tracking Cards & Showing All Cards

Post by haytil »

One great option - which exists in the Yucata.de implementation - would be for the game to track the cards for you. Theoretically, when I return a card to the deck, I know where it is (at the bottom of its deck) - and as cards are returned in the future, or drawn from the top, I know where that initial card is because I returned it.

If I had a great memory, I could track it automatically. Since I don't, I often have to scroll back through the game log to quickly reconstruct in my mind where that card is relative to the top and bottom (and relative to other cards I've returned). Since "Innovation" isn't really a memory game, and since we're supposed to know where these cards are, it would be nice if clicking on a deck of Age cards could show us the order of the cards in that deck, for all cards whose position we know (and use the card backs to represent the position of cards whose identity we don't currently know).

Tracking cards should also track the position of cards that are known to me which have made it into my opponent's hand or score pile (with card backs representing the cards that are unknown to me).

Yucata.de's implemenation not only does all this, but then has a list of "Unknown Cards", so we know what has yet to be accounted for. For instance, if my Tableau has "Tools," my opponent's has "Sailing," I just recently returned "The Wheel", my hand is empty, and my score pile has "Metalworking" (all Age 1 cards), then clicking on the "Age 1 Deck" will show me a long queue of card backs, with "The Wheel" at the end of the queue (representing the fact that it's at the bottom of the deck, as I just returned it). Then, after this list, will be a picture of all the Age 1 cards other than "Sailing," "The Wheel," "Metalworking," and "Tools", whose position is currently unknown - as they may be in the deck, in my opponent's score pile, or in my opponent's hand, but I haven't seen them, so I don't know where they could be.

Not only is the helpful for tracking potential possibilities for drawing, melding, or opponent's plans, but it's also helpful because it gives me a nice way to see all the cards in the "Innovation" game, to help learn what they are (and what the possibilities for play in the game are). I've memorized "Sailing" because it's an "Age 1" card I see all the time, but I haven't memorized "Robotics" because -as an Age 10 card - it hasn't seen much play from me. So helping to learn the cards is definitely a boon for anyone in the community.

The inclusion of all the "Currently Unknown Position" cards also has strategic considerations. How many times have I been facing an opponent who is massing a huge amount of points with Pottery? I know I need to get to a card that can yank those points out of his scoring pile, but since I haven't memorized all the cards, I don't know which ones I need to go for, and in which ages (or which ones might already be in play due to a tuck) - so I can't really come up with a plan, and I end up flailing. If I had the ability to see what all the cards in the game were - as well as which of those might still potentially be in which deck - it might help me to mount some kind of strategic response to my opponent's current domination.
Micah Stairs

Re: Feature Request: Tracking Cards & Showing All Cards

Post by Micah Stairs »

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't aware that Yutaca had this feature.

While this is interesting, there are other higher priority things to address first. Maybe someday!
haytil

Post by haytil »

I understand that tracking card location (and tracking which cards are known and unknown) will take a not insignificant amount of developer time.

But in the meantime, it should at least be a very quick implementation for there to be somewhere I can click to see what "All the possible Innovation cards" are (regardless of whether they're in the game, not in the game, in a known location, not in a known location, etc.).

That's just a single, static graphic that doesn't require any business logic - and looking at it will not only help players learn the cards (critical knowledge for success), but may spark strategic ideas and guidance in the heat of the moment.
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

That feature was added last year! Click the "Browse all cards" button.

Also the cards are very far from "static". We dynamically build them, putting the various components on the card, translating the text, etc.
haytil

Post by haytil »

Oh, I totally missed that Browse button. That'll be super helpful, thanks.

(and by "static," I simply meant unchanging. Something that wasn't state-dependent and could presumably be rendered with a single, already-written function call)

Return to “Innovation”