Rigged rolls!?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Stroom

Re: Rigged rolls!?

Post by Stroom »

Rufasu wrote: 11 March 2023, 05:41 I think the random number algorithm is flawed.
I do not feel that it favors anyone, but rather that the random values are skewed, resulting in a one-sided game.
Catan itself is flawed. Randomness is fine. Too few dice rolls to be any kind of balanced. And even then, the order of dice rolls benefits those who hit the numbers early.

Stop complaining and find another game lol.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Rufasu wrote: 11 March 2023, 05:41 I do not feel that it favors anyone, but rather that the random values are skewed, resulting in a one-sided game.
Right, you feel that. Because that's how random numbers feel. Have you also noticed how it always rains harder when you decide not to take an umbrella?

Do a small experiment. Roll 2 dice 40 times and write down the results. Do this a few times, say 10. Do not add the 10 together, just analyze them separately. See how close the frequencies are to the "expected" ones.
Rufasu

Post by Rufasu »

It may indeed be my imagination, but I feel that the way the eyes of the dice appear is a Linear congruential generators.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Prove it then. Show us how you predict the rolls before they happen.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

I think the dice rolls on this site have bene examined time and time again and found to be fine
Rufasu

Post by Rufasu »

I have played Catan about 240 times and I see many patterns where only a few numbers are repeated.
This is a phenomenon that occurs when the seed value of the random number algorithm is calculated by time.
It is difficult to prove.
It is a programmer's intuition.
It is not a problem, but it is more fun to choose a more appropriate algorithm because it increases the number of one-sided games.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

This is pure human bias. You see patterns and you think that the pattern has to be true. But if it is not repeatable and predictable, then it is most likely a coincidence. In this case, the whole sequence should then be repeatable, not only subsequences.

You have to prove it, not just whine about it.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Rufasu wrote: 11 March 2023, 14:08
The code present on bga was given here if that can help you: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... and#p66897 (last post of the page)(on backgammon, which got similar complains)
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

It's human nature to seek patterns in randomness. You are seeing something that is not there.
Rufasu

Post by Rufasu »

In fact, there is a lot of repetition of the same number pattern during the game...
There are many one-sided games, whether you win or lose.

Return to “Catan”