Beyond the Sun Leaders of the New Dawn Release

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
turtler7

Beyond the Sun Leaders of the New Dawn Release

Post by turtler7 »

The expansion is coming to physical form soon!
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpa ... s-new-dawn
Word from the publisher is expecting the shipment to hit the US warehouse in March 2023 and then immediately be sent out.

The rulebook for the expansion is now available publically on the Rio Grande Games website.
https://www.riograndegames.com/games/be ... -new-dawn/
A few preorders have started showing up such as the one below being shared around the internet.
https://www.gamenerdz.com/beyond-the-su ... n-preorder

Thanks for the feedback and testing from the community on the rebalanced base game technologies as well as those that helped with the expansion prototype testing!

turtler7
a.k.a. Joseph Summa
Co-Designer of Leaders of the New Dawn
BenInJapan

Re: Beyond the Sun Leaders of the New Dawn Release

Post by BenInJapan »

Will it also be available on BGA?
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

As I understood back then (I may be wrong), we don't have the advanced faction sets because we didn't get the licence for that.
So I doubt that we will get licence for the expansion.
But maybe...
Or maybe they'll now be willing to give licence for the advanced faction sets given that the expansion can now act as incentive to buy the physical game.

Would also require some willing dev(s) of course...
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

Phoxtrot wrote: 11 March 2023, 22:24 As I understood back then (I may be wrong), we don't have the advanced faction sets because we didn't get the licence for that.
So I doubt that we will get licence for the expansion.
But maybe...
Or maybe they'll now be willing to give licence for the advanced faction sets given that the expansion can now act as incentive to buy the physical game.

Would also require some willing dev(s) of course...
The situation was that the Rio Grande point of contact wanted to withhold some content to make a physical purchase more enticing. That individual has since left RGG, which is somewhat good news for the advanced faction boards except that it's bad news for the BTS adaptation more generally. In other words, if RGG were to bankroll more BTS development, it's entirely possible they'd sign off on the advanced boards, but it's less likely that anything at all will happen without him.

turtler7 is still RGG-affiliated and may have more insight, but he didn't reply in February, either.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Mogri wrote: 14 March 2023, 17:18 The situation was that the Rio Grande point of contact wanted to withhold some content to make a physical purchase more enticing. That individual has since left RGG, which is somewhat good news for the advanced faction boards except that it's bad news for the BTS adaptation more generally. In other words, if RGG were to bankroll more BTS development, it's entirely possible they'd sign off on the advanced boards, but it's less likely that anything at all will happen without him.

turtler7 is still RGG-affiliated and may have more insight, but he didn't reply in February, either.
Thanks for the info.
So we will probably need to hope for a benevolent dev.
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

Even with a benevolent dev, you'd still need publisher buy-in. They have to give permission for anything to make it onto BGA.
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

There are no immediate plans for putting the expansion up here. But I am very positive towards doing so. The better the physical product does, the more the company is going to consider supporting the game further through additional digital release to keep promoting it. (Yes, I am definitely biased. But go buy it and show Rio they have every reason to give their fans access to it.)
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Hmm... If the physical game does incredibly good, what incentive would they have to support a digital version and further promote the game? :D
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

Jellby wrote: 02 April 2023, 07:45 Hmm... If the physical game does incredibly good, what incentive would they have to support a digital version and further promote the game? :D
Hmm... Well I suppose since it would be a premium game they would get some money from it. And if it is doing really well, clearly it has an audience that is excited and they could expand that audience and increase the attention it gets with a digital form. The indication of how many players want to use the expansion via physical sales of expansion vs base game is a good way for the publisher to be convinced the extra cost of digital development is worthwhile to pursue.

See: Ark Nova, Catan, Splendor, Azul, 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, Caverna, Earth, Wingspan, Great Western Trail etc that have done well physically and that drove the effort for digital development.

See: A bunch bunch bunch bunch of games I shouldn't publicly shame but are not digital not because their publishers and designers wouldn't be interested in such a thing but primarily because the physical market did not indicate that was a good use of time and resources to do a digital version.

Return to “Beyond the Sun”