Bang isn't randomized

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
FriendToDogs

Bang isn't randomized

Post by FriendToDogs »

I've played enough bang now to see the patterns in this. How is it that the Sherriff gets banged down to 1 or 2 bullets after first round and always has 2 beers etc. The same scenarios play out over and over. The only variable being players who don't know how to play well. Is there any way to actually randomize it? Not have it be so predictable? Or stop whatever leveling mechanisms there are in the code? Not worth playing anymore.
Yorgad

Re: Bang isn't randomized

Post by Yorgad »

You've played "enough" uh ? Show us the actual data to support your claim, not just by the seat of your pants...

Cheers,
Y.

PS: nonetheless to say, sherif having one more life point at start allows him to statistically get more good cards, beers included.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

FriendToDogs wrote: 22 February 2023, 23:21 I've played enough bang now to see the patterns in this. How is it that the Sherriff gets banged down to 1 or 2 bullets after first round and always has 2 beers etc. The same scenarios play out over and over. The only variable being players who don't know how to play well. Is there any way to actually randomize it? Not have it be so predictable? Or stop whatever leveling mechanisms there are in the code? Not worth playing anymore.
Code is open-source, feel free to show me the "leveling mechanisms" in there.
AVTactics

Post by AVTactics »

I have different feeling. I feel the game is too much random. With this level of randomness there is no real "good player" achievment in the Arena mode. What is Arena? I see it as we come to compete for some rating, to fight for the No.1 place. But it doesnt really work out because of too much randomness. Yes, there is a skill but the ceiling is limited so once everybody gets how to play the game immediately turns onto "who gets better cards".
In another words the winner of Arena is not really skilled players but most lucky one.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

AVTactics wrote: 23 February 2023, 04:10 I have different feeling. I feel the game is too much random. With this level of randomness there is no real "good player" achievment in the Arena mode. What is Arena? I see it as we come to compete for some rating, to fight for the No.1 place. But it doesnt really work out because of too much randomness. Yes, there is a skill but the ceiling is limited so once everybody gets how to play the game immediately turns onto "who gets better cards".
In another words the winner of Arena is not really skilled players but most lucky one.
Bang is definitely a game in which the luck factor is big.
This said, even the slightest bit of skill involved will make the ratings right in the long-term. The problem is that the more the luck involved is, the longer is this "long-term", and probably most players don't play enough games to get there.

But this is a problem of the game itself, not of BGA, so I guess it's not of much use discussing it. Maybe expansions would reduce the luck impact? I don't really know, I didn't play much Bang

Return to “Bang”