Cheaters or strange coincidence

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
II D13 II

Cheaters or strange coincidence

Post by II D13 II »

Hello!

I recently had a really unusual Stella game. I won the first round and later both my opponents (it was a game for 3 players) choosed the same amount of cards 3 times in a row and their chosen cards were very similar. I think it is quite strange, especially with such a big amount of cards like 7 or 8. I know it can happen, but 3 times between same players in one game is a bit weird for me. I wouldn't like to judge this situation by only my own opinion, so I have a question - what do you think about it? Did they cheat or was it just a coincidence?

Here is the link to the replay:
(

Sorry, if I made mistakes, my English isn't perfect but I try my best.
Thanks for reading this and all the replies!

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call out specific tables or players by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
Romain672

Re: Cheaters or strange coincidence

Post by Romain672 »

Here is all their Stella games: *

From my small experience, having many similarity happen frequently. And if you know another person, you are more likely to understand the other better.

(didn't look at their replay)

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call out specific tables or players by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
LetsPlayFriend

Post by LetsPlayFriend »

I watched the replay, it seems to me like a coincidence. The last round was the only one that seemed a little too likely but it’s possible. I’ve had similar matches on there I’m sure and people have probably thought the same.
john0607

Post by john0607 »

II D13 II wrote: 24 February 2023, 17:09 Hello!

I recently had a really unusual Stella game. I won the first round and later both my opponents (it was a game for 3 players) choosed the same amount of cards 3 times in a row and their chosen cards were very similar. I think it is quite strange, especially with such a big amount of cards like 7 or 8. I know it can happen, but 3 times between same players in one game is a bit weird for me. I wouldn't like to judge this situation by only my own opinion, so I have a question - what do you think about it? Did they cheat or was it just a coincidence?

Had this happen in a game too but once I called them out on it they suddenly played worse. Was very suss
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

john0607 wrote: 22 May 2023, 03:28 Had this happen in a game too but once I called them out on it they suddenly played worse. Was very suss
But then again, being called a cheater can make you play worse...

Once you know someone or think you understand how they choose their clues, you can consciously align your picks with their thinking.
So big coincidences are more suspicious in round 1 than other rounds but only if the opponents don't know each other and have never played against each other.
Some players can be very attentive at what the others are doing and have long memory of previous games.
Some might even go the extra mile and replay the previous games of their opponents and in doing so have a knowledge of them even if they never played them.

And it is indeed a disadvantage to play against players who know each others.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

II D13 II wrote: 24 February 2023, 17:09 Hello!

Return to “Stella – Dixit Universe”