Significant typo on "Beach" card?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
cigma

Significant typo on "Beach" card?

Post by cigma »

According to the BGA texts and the english rule book, the card "Beach" says you score points "per empty orthogonal space adjacent to this Terrain (outside of island counts)"

I wondered how to translate "outside of island counts" and found this passage in the german rule as "outside of tableau counts" (außerhalb des Rasters zählt), which makes much more sense to me. Can you please check if the english BGA text needs correction?

On the other hand, if "outside of island counts" is correct, can you please explain its meaning in the context of this card?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Jellby

Re: Significant typo on "Beach" card?

Post by Jellby »

I think I've read/head somewhere that the 4×4 tableau represents your island. But then there's the island card(s), so it's certainly confusing,
bennygui

Post by bennygui »

Jellby wrote: 26 February 2023, 20:11 I think I've read/head somewhere that the 4×4 tableau represents your island. But then there's the island card(s), so it's certainly confusing,
Yes this is correct.

I created an FAQ on BGG so you can check it for more info on those card.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Jellby wrote: 26 February 2023, 20:11 I think I've read/head somewhere that the 4×4 tableau represents your island. But then there's the island card(s), so it's certainly confusing,
Thank you for your hint! This looks like a possible explanation, for in the rulebook it says: "To do so, you will “plant” cards to create your own island—a 16-card tableau arranged as a grid 4 cards wide by 4 cards tall."

But it is very confusing, and not only because of the island cards as you said. Anywhere else in the english rulebook this is called your "tableau" (and even more confusing, in german it is called "grid" = "Raster", whereas the player board is referrred to as "Tableau" in the german rules).

So if the Beach card refers to the personal tableau (of cards), I suggest that BGA uses the term "tableau" there for the sake of consistency, and informs the publisher. According to Boardgamegeek the physical game isn't published yet.
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
cigma

Post by cigma »

Hello bennygui, it seems our answers overlapped.
Can you change the text of the Beach card on BGA into "tableau" instead of "island" for consistency?
I couldn't find your FAQ on BGG. Would you be so kind as to post a link here? Thank you!
#StandWithUkraine
bennygui

Post by bennygui »

Return to “Earth”