RAUHA: Make Rauha shine again!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
RedAlert39

Re: RAUHA: Make Rauha shine again!

Post by RedAlert39 »

Thanks for fixing the title!

The hostile reaction to the change some people have had (complaining about "wokeness" or people being "soft") is just proof that the the original was a conservative dogwhistle, whether intentional or not.
mats1316

Post by mats1316 »

RedAlert39 wrote: 08 March 2023, 02:03 Thanks for fixing the title!

The hostile reaction to the change some people have had (complaining about "wokeness" or people being "soft") is just proof that the the original was a conservative dogwhistle, whether intentional or not.
Why are you making this a political issue? How do you know the people against the change are conservatives? It seems like you are making links that aren't there. I disagreed with removing the title, and I am not a conservative. I would have the same reaction if they had Obama's slogan: " Yes we can". If I had to bet on why people had "hostile reactions", it would be because of the Thought Police. It limits the freedom of expression, and erroneously makes the world black & white, when there is so much grey. Why were you offended with this title, but not with the Paint The Roses title? "Off with your heads" seems like it's much more of a serious matter than "Make Rauha Great Again". Since I didn't see any complaints on that forum, does it mean that you are for people getting beheaded, or is it that you understand that it is in the context of the game only? There are so many things happening in the world right now, no wonder many readers are annoyed or frustrated by the banality of these complaints about changing a title of a game in a BOARD GAMING WEBSITE. Some are even proclaiming to be really offended and hurt by four words in a title, and changing the word "great" of all words makes their little hearts feel better. I can't blame those that lost their patience. That political campaign has been over for a long time, the title was just a title, get over it.
Duggo42

Post by Duggo42 »

RedAlert39 wrote: 08 March 2023, 02:03 Thanks for fixing the title!

I believe the hostility originated in the baseless claims that people using a campaign slogan are racists.
Cupcake007-A

Re: RAUHA: Make Rauha great again!

Post by Cupcake007-A »

timtheturtle wrote: 02 March 2023, 01:56
Nicholas_M wrote: 01 March 2023, 16:15
Rem Speedwagon wrote: 01 March 2023, 14:10 Game looks great, but not a fan of using a political dogwhistle for the article title....
I agree - that phrase is still very closely linked to hate speech in the United States. I imagine it was meant in a playful way, but for many audiences I think it will come across as a bit of an insensitive reference to some very recent, very painful world events
Agreed. That phrase is so linked with hate speech, that I feel uncomfortable supporting the game.
I hope the community feedback encourages a quick and easy change.
What are all you cancel culture people talking about? Rauha means peace, serenity. Get a grip people!
Cupcake007-A

Post by Cupcake007-A »

thenpg wrote: 02 March 2023, 09:47 Yes please consider changing this title for reasons already stated. That phrase really only has one connotation these days and it's not a pleasant one.
Only to a few of you apparently
Most of us around the world have no clue what your crying about.
MrTici

Post by MrTici »

Cupcake007-A wrote: 09 March 2023, 03:16
thenpg wrote: 02 March 2023, 09:47 Yes please consider changing this title for reasons already stated. That phrase really only has one connotation these days and it's not a pleasant one.
Only to a few of you apparently
Most of us around the world have no clue what your crying about.
But apparently it works, companies instantly react into pleasing these people, as it happened with this title. Maybe if we start “voting” with our wallets things will start to change and companies will think twice before mixing politics and ideology into everything. A few years ago it would have been hard to think even this world of boardgames will get overwhelmingly stuffed with wokeness. I want to play games and keep politics and hypocrisy out of this hobby. Thank you
JusterGame

Post by JusterGame »

I was relieved to discover that I am not the only one that has NO IDEA what discussion of the title is about.

I live in UK, and have searched several times to gain insight, but find nothing.

For the sake of education and no more, can somebody give some information rather than emotion?
MrTici

Post by MrTici »

JusterGame wrote: 09 March 2023, 18:39 I was relieved to discover that I am not the only one that has NO IDEA what discussion of the title is about.

I live in UK, and have searched several times to gain insight, but find nothing.

For the sake of education and no more, can somebody give some information rather than emotion?

The initial title was Rauha: make Rauha great again! But a few, hyper sensitive BGA members, who involve politics in everything were very offended by the title because they felt it was a dogwhistle to Trump’s campaign slogan “make america great again” and the initial title was changed to please the hyper sensitive.

Oh boy, now I think I’m going to get banned for hate speech and use of offensive words 😳
RedAlert39

Post by RedAlert39 »

It's funny how almost all the people against the title change have never actually played this game. I wonder if they saw some sort of coded language in the title that drew them to this thread? 🤔
mats1316

Post by mats1316 »

RedAlert39 wrote: 09 March 2023, 19:44 It's funny how almost all the people against the title change have never actually played this game. I wonder if they saw some sort of coded language in the title that drew them to this thread? 🤔
There are one or two new games a week. Don't you think that it kind of makes sense that people might want to check the comments to see what people wrote about the game, especially when they haven't played the game and they can see that a lot of comments have been written about it? It took 21 comments for someone to support the writer's freedom of expression.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”