RAUHA: Make Rauha shine again!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Duggo42

Re: RAUHA: Make Rauha shine again!

Post by Duggo42 »

RedAlert39 wrote: 09 March 2023, 19:44 It's funny how almost all the people against the title change have never actually played this game. I wonder if they saw some sort of coded language in the title that drew them to this thread? 🤔
Interesting. Neither did any of those clamoring for a title change. I wonder if they were programmed to spread propaganda aimed at low information voters when triggered by any tangential reference to a certain former gameshow host/president? 🤔🤔
CapAp

Re: RAUHA: Make Rauha great again!

Post by CapAp »

MrTici wrote: 09 March 2023, 08:57
Cupcake007-A wrote: 09 March 2023, 03:16
thenpg wrote: 02 March 2023, 09:47 Yes please consider changing this title for reasons already stated. That phrase really only has one connotation these days and it's not a pleasant one.
Only to a few of you apparently
Most of us around the world have no clue what your crying about.
But apparently it works, companies instantly react into pleasing these people, as it happened with this title. Maybe if we start “voting” with our wallets things will start to change and companies will think twice before mixing politics and ideology into everything. A few years ago it would have been hard to think even this world of boardgames will get overwhelmingly stuffed with wokeness. I want to play games and keep politics and hypocrisy out of this hobby. Thank you
*Moderated for aggressive tone. Please be respectful when using the Forum.
MrTici

Re: RAUHA: Make Rauha great again!

Post by MrTici »

CapAp wrote: 11 March 2023, 00:11
Yes, please remove your money and your person from the site. Go start a Trump boardgaming site. We will not miss you.

*Moderated for aggressive tone. Please be respectful when using the Forum.
CapAp

Post by CapAp »

MrTici wrote: 11 March 2023, 11:56 You dont have that power here, dude :D And for your information, I m not even living in the US :)) I m not a trump supporter, I m just an adult who doesn t need the constant intervention of people like you to tell me what is right or wrong, what is black and what is white. Go get a life and let people say and do what they want or if you want to live in a nany state, go find a communist country and move there

PS: please forgive me if I made the crime of misgendering you :(
*moderated for aggression. Please remain respectful on BGA.
Crystal1501

Post by Crystal1501 »

You all want to know something? This isn't the first time the 'make it great again' phrase has been used when NOT involving politics. There's a game called Pokepark Wii, in that game a pokemon you interact with says they'll train anyone looking to 'make the Pokepark great again'. That game was made before 2010. Is THAT game referencing politics? Ok, maybe IN GAME politics, but otherwise, no. When I saw the title, I just found it mildly amusing. When I saw it had changed, I was just plain confused. I had to check the comments, only to find the title turned the thread into a political debate.

*moderator edit, please remain polite in the discussion and remember BGA is a family-friendly and international community
MasterMar

Post by MasterMar »

Just want to share a slightly relevant and amusing anecdote, and I hope this does not cause more arguing.

Once I looked at the German rulebook of Power Grid (Recharged) for fun, to see if it was significantly different from the English rulebook (I don't know German, just used google translate) and I noticed, among other things, that the change to the coal rule was called (in untranslated English) "Make America Great Again", likely making fun of the slogan, although the intent is not 100% clear. This was removed in the English version, likely as it would be much more controversial and divisive in the US. Link: https://2f-games.com/pdf/funkenschlag-r ... ung_de.pdf

I also think that BGA's game slogan change was good, just wanted to know what people think of this.

Edit: I have not played Rauha, but I have played Power Grid.

Edit 2: The English version kept the "German Nuclear Power Phase-Out" part, likely as it is much less sensitive.
CapAp

Post by CapAp »

MasterMar wrote: 12 March 2023, 16:59 Just want to share a slightly relevant and amusing anecdote, and I hope this does not cause more arguing.

Once I looked at the German rulebook of Power Grid (Recharged) for fun, to see if it was significantly different from the English rulebook (I don't know German, just used google translate) and I noticed, among other things, that the change to the coal rule was called (in untranslated English) "Make America Great Again", likely making fun of the slogan, although the intent is not 100% clear. This was removed in the English version, likely as it would be much more controversial and divisive in the US. Link: https://2f-games.com/pdf/funkenschlag-r ... ung_de.pdf

I also think that BGA's game slogan change was good, just wanted to know what people think of this.

Edit: I have not played Rauha, but I have played Power Grid.

Edit 2: The English version kept the "German Nuclear Power Phase-Out" part, likely as it is much less sensitive.
Personally, I think it is funny! (but that's because I am against the slogan and what it represents, so mocking it amuses me).

However, like here, I think it is wise that they chose to remove it. In both cases there is a predictable reaction from the American audience (the Power Grid example would just be in reverse). It's best to avoid that. People play games to escape.
ExpendableEnsign

Post by ExpendableEnsign »

MrTici wrote: 09 March 2023, 19:08 The initial title was Rauha: make Rauha great again! But a few, hyper sensitive BGA members, who involve politics in everything were very offended by the title because they felt it was a dogwhistle to Trump’s campaign slogan “make america great again” and the initial title was changed to please the hyper sensitive.
This is the most amusing and most telling answer here. The request was for a factual reply without emotion and instead it's the most emotive, biased reply in the whole thread. I initially thought the title objections were an over-reaction, but this guy pretty much proves the opposite.
mats1316

Post by mats1316 »

ExpendableEnsign wrote: 13 March 2023, 04:30
MrTici wrote: 09 March 2023, 19:08 The initial title was Rauha: make Rauha great again! But a few, hyper sensitive BGA members, who involve politics in everything were very offended by the title because they felt it was a dogwhistle to Trump’s campaign slogan “make america great again” and the initial title was changed to please the hyper sensitive.
This is the most amusing and most telling answer here. The request was for a factual reply without emotion and instead it's the most emotive, biased reply in the whole thread. I initially thought the title objections were an over-reaction, but this guy pretty much proves the opposite.
What do you mean? I fail to see the emotion in his reply. The only thing he did was use the word hyper sensitive, and he's not wrong.
CapAp

Post by CapAp »

I think it's worth noting that in the warped minds of these people, it's "a few" members disagreeing with them, but if you look at the whole thread, there are only about 4-5 people upset that the community didn't appreciate the phrase. They just keep posting over and over and over again. Meanwhile, 95% of the reactions are agreeing that the statement was unwelcome.

And yet MrTici honestly sees his position as the "normal" position, and the 95% who disagree with him are "a few hyper sensitive members" in his mind. Reality is a difficult battle for these poor folks.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”