Give the option of tournament creator to not allow SKIP players before game reach a certain percentage of MAX duration

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Hardin2000

Give the option of tournament creator to not allow SKIP players before game reach a certain percentage of MAX duration

Post by Hardin2000 »

Hello.

I have a suggestion, because I think it is unfair take advantage of skip to not loose games.

In a tournament that is going, a player skipped another one that was only a few minutes negative. It was a 6 players game.
The game had a maximum duration of 15 days and the player was skipped after 4 days of the game time, on the game LAST ROUND :( . The game was not even 1/3 of max duration.
It means that the other players in the table was extremely fast, and the player that skipped the other was loosing. Probably would finish 5th or something. So he got 6 points instead of 2. And the othe 4 non skipped players on table got 6 points aswell instead of 10, 8, ... etc.

The same "skipper" already have done the same twice on other tournament. I don't think that is fair.

So my First suggestion is give the option on tournament creation to the tournament administrator choose:

- Allow SKIP when:
1) Always
2) When game reach 60% of maximum duration.
3) When game reach 80% of maximum duration... or something like that.

My Second suggestion is:

- Allow SKIP before 80% of the game maximum duration:
1) Always
2) when 50% of more players on table agree on skip.
*) After 80% of game maximum duration a negative player could always be skipped.

With this Second suggestion a player could only be skipped before 80% maximum duration when:
- On a 2 players table => Always
- On a 3 players table => When both opponents of "negative" player agree.
- On a 4 players table => When 2 of the 3 opponents of "negative" player agree.
- On a 5 players table => When 3 of the 4 opponents of "negative" player agree.
- On a 6 players table => When 3 of the 5 opponents of "negative" player agree.

Have a nice day all
Godsmurf

Re: Give the option of tournament creator to not allow SKIP players before game reach a certain percentage of MAX durati

Post by Godsmurf »

Just keep it simple and don't allow skipping of tournament games. Time will run out eventually anyway.

I just had a Stone Age game that was 95% finished with two days left, and someone ruined it by skipping it at the very last moment. THIS SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE. Everyone loses by having wasted their time on a game that was not finished, even though there was plenty of time to do so.
Hardin2000

Re: Give the option of tournament creator to not allow SKIP players before game reach a certain percentage of MAX durati

Post by Hardin2000 »

Godsmurf wrote: 12 March 2023, 11:42 Just keep it simple and don't allow skipping of tournament games. Time will run out eventually anyway.

I just had a Stone Age game that was 95% finished with two days left, and someone ruined it by skipping it at the very last moment. THIS SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE. Everyone loses by having wasted their time on a game that was not finished, even though there was plenty of time to do so.
Well I was "pissed" about 2 week games that was already at the end of last round, with one ENTIRE week to go. What is the reason to skip?
If 95% of the game occured on 50% of the game time, the other 5% of the could almost certain, be completed with 1 entire week left lol...It's frustrating.

The one that skipped was obviously loosing that 6 players game.
I already seen that occur 3 times with same player in 6 players version of Potion Explosion,
But that player don't skip anyone if is on 1st or 2nd place. Curious... lol
off234

Post by off234 »

Godsmurf wrote: 12 March 2023, 11:42 Just keep it simple and don't allow skipping of tournament games. Time will run out eventually anyway.

Exactly!!! I vote for this option! Don't allow skipping of tournament games at all. It's really frustrating after several days of playing that someone just kill this game in this way... usually it's someone who is not doing well in this game.
TeddyKGBUK

Post by TeddyKGBUK »

I came here to discuss this very thing. This morning I was skipped in a tournament game I was winning because I had gone 1 hour or so over. I had taken a move last night before bed. I got on this morning at 7:30 and an hour previously a seriously bad sport (who had a seriously chequered karma profile themselves) had skipped me. This was clearly done because I was winning.

I mean to me I am a sporting guy. I dont skip people full stop because there is no need for me to do so. I can start another game and allow the one that someone hasnt moved in to wait. Its really no skin off my nose. It affects me in precisely no way whatsoever other than having another game on my list.

I definately wouldnt ever skip someone in a tournment because I dont like the way they work anyway whereby the game clock never gains time after you make a move.

In future I am going to be forced to check the setting of the tournment in detail before I join it because sometimes I might only be able to get on once or twice in a day.

It seems to need a rethink to me.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

TeddyKGBUK wrote: 28 March 2023, 11:19 In future I am going to be forced to check the setting of the tournment in detail before I join it because sometimes I might only be able to get on once or twice in a day.
You should already be checking the tournament settings in detail before you join. Only join a tournament if you think you'll be able to play your moves within the allotted time. Otherwise, it's unfair to the other players, who did manage to play on time.
TeddyKGBUK

Post by TeddyKGBUK »

Yes thanks for that but I didnt mean it that way. I didnt actually realise when I joined up to the first few tournaments that the clock doesnt behave like normal games where you only need to do one move per day per game to never run out of time. So now I need to check everything in detail and even then I have to 'make a guess' if I might run out of time or not. It shouldnt be that way. You cant be sure because if your opponent pretty much lives on here then theres a good chance you will run out of time no matter what you do cause your game clock is running all the time and you dont know that when your at work all day.
Hardin2000

Post by Hardin2000 »

Mathew5000 wrote: 29 March 2023, 10:44
TeddyKGBUK wrote: 28 March 2023, 11:19 In future I am going to be forced to check the setting of the tournment in detail before I join it because sometimes I might only be able to get on once or twice in a day.
You should already be checking the tournament settings in detail before you join. Only join a tournament if you think you'll be able to play your moves within the allotted time. Otherwise, it's unfair to the other players, who did manage to play on time.
Unfair is to skip someone after 6 days of game duration AT LAST ROUND when the game was designed to have max of 15 days. So why to skip someone after 40% of game duration, when the game is about to finish.
And then you need to wait more 9 days to next round of the tournament begin.
It's not a player fault if the other 5 players have nothing else to do in their life and play their moves in seconds, just after the slower player play his/her move. And many times some players are slow because they live in a different time zone than the other players on the table.

Anyway... What is the reason to skip if the game still have lots of time to finish (more than 1 week) .. Specially at last round.?

The system how it is, is only good for the ones that spend all their time in BGA.
Last edited by Hardin2000 on 01 April 2023, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
TeddyKGBUK

Post by TeddyKGBUK »

Hardin2000 wrote: 31 March 2023, 02:58
Mathew5000 wrote: 29 March 2023, 10:44
Unfair is to skip someone after 6 days of game duration AT LAST ROUND when the game was designed to have max of 15 days. So why to skip someone after 40% of game duration, whe the game is about to finish.
And then you need to wait more 9 days to next round of the tournament begin.
It's not a player fault if the other 5 players have nothing else to do in their life and play their moves in seconds, just after the slower player play his/her move. And many times some players are slow because they live in a different time zone than the other players on the table.

Anyway... What is the reason to skip if the game still have lots of time to finish (more than 1 week) .. Specially at last round.?

The system how it is, is only good for that spend all their time in BGA.
Exactly this. The way the normal games work means if you can only get on once per day, you wont run out of time. Thats good. The tournaments however work like a chess clock ie its always running if its your move. The thing is, its not a real time game so why have a clock that works like its a real time game? Using that style of clock means you run out of time or dont run out of time based on the speed of your opponents. If your with fast players who take their moves straight away, you can run out of time and get skipped even on a 3 day game clock before any of the other games in your branch in the tournament are finished. Thats all nonsense. Worse than that, if your winning, a poor sport can skip you to rob you of your win which is what happened to me. I have absolutely no issue losing to a player who played well. I just object to losing a game I am winning in plenty of time before the next round of the tournament starts because my game clock ran out despite playing at a more than acceptable speed for the length of the round of the tournement.
Albatraous

Post by Albatraous »

I'm currently playing a tournament table where the player before me keeps playing after midnight, so by the time it gets to me, I'm already 7-9 hours "delayed" which isn't fair. After several days, it's now got to 2 days duration in total.

Thankfully no one has skipped players, but it seems like a stupid system to not incorporate regional times of players. At the very least you should be able to put what times you are available to play, and the delay only add up then.

Otherwise I can see a strategy of playing late at night, waiting until the other players have gone into negative duration, then skipping them, which doesn't seem fair.

Tbh I would just have a standard no activity for 24 hours in a single gap, then flag that up, instead of this cumulative total that seems very unfair, especially if you work or have children and can't always get to play y9ur turn at the exact moment someone else has just finished.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”