OP Bird not allowed in the first round option

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jpsweeter

OP Bird not allowed in the first round option

Post by jpsweeter »

Hello,

I don't know if this was brought up before, but I want to suggest a third option for the wingspan OP bird in the room set up. Right now, the dropdown menu has remove or include options. I want to suggest a third option, which is to forbid 4 OP birds in the first round.

I love playing OP birds, as it's fun to build strong engine and score high points. Also, when you have a bad starting hand and draw cards from the deck to hope for something good and you encounter one of the four OP birds gives you a good feeling and make a nice come back.

But, allowing 4 OP birds from the beginning makes the game one-sided and difficult for the opponent(s) to compete, unless they have a multiple counter birds (eg. cowbirds), which require extreme luck as well.

I play wingspan on the steam as well, and they have a discord community for competitive players, and they have a house rule that forbids 4 OP birds in the first round. This is because, when they ran the test, they found the players with OP birds in the first round had over 90% of winning rate. Amongst the high ELO players, it really becomes one-sided when only one player has OP bird early. The 4 OP birds are still powerful after the second round, but now the opponent(s) have an opportunity to counter and has a better chance of winning. It's sad when the better player loses only because the opponent had OP birds in the starting hand.

I really like the BGA interface. I think they did far better job in implementing the wingspan game than the steam version. But, the BGA does not have any expansion (the steam has European expansion). The European expansion adds a lot of good powerful birds, like White Stork or Snow Bunting, that helps players without the 4 OP birds to still produce a good engine and score high points. Plus, massive tucking birds, like Mute Swan or Common Chiffchaff, or OP Eagles give wetland engine a chance to compete against a traditional grassland engine playing. Plus, European expansion adds many interesting round goals that are not egg-heavy, so give non-traditional style playing has a good chance of winning round goals as well. But in the original only version in BGA, a grassland engine is the king (wood duck and woodpecker may create a strong forest engine, but not as strong as raven and gull/killdear combo) and hence 4 OP birds become the strongest birds.

I think it will give more fair chance for all players if the BGA creates a third option in the game set up and allow the 4 OP birds to be played only from the second round onward. The steam version doesn't need to add this option, because all ELO rankings are controlled in the discord community. So, if anyone cheats, they can give that player a loss in record. But, in the BGA, we have too many players from all over and you cannot enforce such a rule as a house rule. It only works if the system has it as an option in the game set up.

Adding this option will allow more competitive games like tournaments and arena more fun, as everyone will have a fair chance of winning. I don't know how difficult it is to implement something like this, but I really appreciate your consideration. Thanks for reading!
hodkorn

Re: OP Bird not allowed in the first round option

Post by hodkorn »

Which birds?
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

The issue you are going to run into here is that BGA is not allowed to implement house rules. Only rules/variants officially approved by the publishers.

As I understand it, the publishers have acknowledged the OP birds, and have authorized the variant to remove them, hence BGA is allowed to include it as an option.

As far as I know, though, they have not authorized the house rule you've mentioned. So, unless you can get the publishers to authorize that as an official variant, I don't think the BGA developers are even allowed (whether they can/want to/have the time/etc. is another issue).
Fletcheese

Post by Fletcheese »

Remkar wrote: 09 March 2023, 13:34 The issue you are going to run into here is that BGA is not allowed to implement house rules. Only rules/variants officially approved by the publishers.
As a dev I can confirm this is accurate. And a rule as convoluted as "none in the first round" is especially unlikely to be implemented.
soaptrail

Post by soaptrail »

hodkorn wrote: 09 March 2023, 11:58 Which birds?
I was wondering what OP stands for as well.
Doubleshoe

Post by Doubleshoe »

soaptrail wrote: 09 March 2023, 20:59
The two ravens (trade egg for 2 "any" food) and the two birds that do the same for cards. The issue is that these may all be played in grasslands, which makes that action extremely efficient.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

soaptrail wrote: 09 March 2023, 20:59 I was wondering what OP stands for as well.
OP = overpowered, used when discussing many other games too.
jpsweeter

Post by jpsweeter »

Remkar wrote: 09 March 2023, 13:34 The issue you are going to run into here is that BGA is not allowed to implement house rules. Only rules/variants officially approved by the publishers.

As I understand it, the publishers have acknowledged the OP birds, and have authorized the variant to remove them, hence BGA is allowed to include it as an option.

As far as I know, though, they have not authorized the house rule you've mentioned. So, unless you can get the publishers to authorize that as an official variant, I don't think the BGA developers are even allowed (whether they can/want to/have the time/etc. is another issue).
Hmm... I didn't realize this. Thanks for this insight.
Doubleshoe wrote: 09 March 2023, 21:11
soaptrail wrote: 09 March 2023, 20:59
The two ravens (trade egg for 2 "any" food) and the two birds that do the same for cards. The issue is that these may all be played in grasslands, which makes that action extremely efficient.
I didn't realize some ppl don't know what the 4 OP birds are in the wingspan. Two ravens allow you to discard one egg to get any two food and Franklin's Gull and Killdear let you discard one egg to draw two cards. These birds allow you to skip the activation in forest or wetland. Because laying eggs let you score more points, by focusing only on grassland engine, you can score really high points. This makes them overpowered birds, especially when you are able to play them early. Early in the game, you spend most of your early turns on building forest and wetland engine; these OP birds let you skip that set up and lay eggs to score more points and still get your food or draw birds.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

Indeed, the option to remove the four birds in question was a very popular suggestion during Beta testing, and I reached out to the publisher to ask if I could make it a game option, and they approved.

I will not be pursuing the option described here for the very important reason that it changes the rules of the game, adding restrictions that are not described in any of the published rules documentation. Removing some cards from a deck during setup has no effect on the rules of the game once it's started.

Wingspan is one of the most played games on this site, and the default game setup process for new players to BGA makes it very easy to join a table without specifying or even knowing what the options are beforehand. As a result, it's very important that any combination of options produces an experience that anybody new to BGA will recognize as a proper implementation of Wingspan.

I get about 5 bug reports every week that stem from a misunderstanding of rules that are written on cards, in the rulebook, or in the appendix. Imagine how much worse it will be on an ongoing basis to have to defend the implementation of house rules that aren't documented anywhere by frustrated players who based their entire strategy on one of these cards and didn't realize they joined a table with this option.
jpsweeter

Post by jpsweeter »

paramesis wrote: 10 March 2023, 18:56 Wingspan is one of the most played games on this site, and the default game setup process for new players to BGA makes it very easy to join a table without specifying or even knowing what the options are beforehand. As a result, it's very important that any combination of options produces an experience that anybody new to BGA will recognize as a proper implementation of Wingspan.

I get about 5 bug reports every week that stem from a misunderstanding of rules that are written on cards, in the rulebook, or in the appendix. Imagine how much worse it will be on an ongoing basis to have to defend the implementation of house rules that aren't documented anywhere by frustrated players who based their entire strategy on one of these cards and didn't realize they joined a table with this option.
Hmm... thanks for sharing the developer's perspective on this. Very interesting.

Return to “Wingspan”