Need More Exciting Games

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
tboard

Need More Exciting Games

Post by tboard »

I hate to be the one to do this, but it needs to be said. There needs to be more exciting games on BGA. Sure, Eurogames like Agricola and Terra Mystica are well designed and highly strategic, but they are far from exciting. We need more games that have direct conflict and player interaction. It wouldn't hurt to have hidden movement games on here either. See below for examples:

Cosmic Encounter
Arkham Horror
Star Wars Rebellion
Letters from Whitechapel
Game of Thrones
Nemesis
Nexus Ops
Battlestar Galactica
Dead of Winter
Forbidden Stars
Zombicide
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
Twilight Imperium
Eclipse
Root
Last edited by tboard on 09 March 2023, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
tboard

Re: Need More Exciting Games

Post by tboard »

I understand licensing issues are the major obstacle to getting these games on here. But please take note that there are way too many Eurogames on here already. Please diversify your collection.
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

For whatever it is worth, the more take that and directly combative player interaction games are not as fun digitally as they are at the table when people can respond emotionally and have a good time with the up and down swings.

Euro games are more puzzle feeling and if that is where someone gets their enjoyment from, most of that puzzle is retained digitally.

Also when someone is raging in real life, their time commitment is relatively low and they can have fun with friends still while bemoaning their situation. Digitally, that same negative experience has none of the upswing moments and people just walk away from game, sabotage the game, or straight up quit.
cigma

Post by cigma »

I am listing here some games with player interaction (not necessarily direct conflict) on BGA:

light:
Can't stop, King of Tokio, Bang, Solo, Roll'n Bump, Oriflamme, Piraten kapern, No thanks, 7 Wonders Architects, Get the MacGuffin, Twin Tin Bots, Cubirds

medium:
7 Wonders Duel, Gizmos, Stone Age, Kingdom Builder, Res Arcana, Cribbage, Targi, Clash of Decks, Quantum, Mr. Jack, 24/7, 15 Days, Luxor, Kingdoms, Azul, Jaipur, Bubblee Pop, My Shelfie, Iwari, Big Monster

more complex:
The Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Saint Petersburg, El Grande, Troyes

I am sure there are some more, especially with direct conflict, but that's not my type of game. Maybe others can help?

If you want to suggest new games for BGA, here is the thread for this: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1040

EDIT: There are also some cooperative games (play interactive together against the game) which I find very exciting: Pandemic, Burgle Bros., The Crew / The Crew Deep Sea
Last edited by cigma on 10 March 2023, 08:47, edited 5 times in total.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Kind of understand where you're coming from, if you're talking multiplayer.

2 player games can offer the best player interaction without the kingmaker / diplomacy problem.

There are a few good 2-player direct fighting games like Krosmaster, Memoir 44, Unconditional surrender, Super fantasy Brawl, Dungeon Twister, War Chest(2v2), Clash of Decks, 8 Masters revenge. And a lot of abstract games.

If you need >2 player then it's more limited:
Space Empires 4X, Quantum, Shogun (Alpha), Deus(?), TTA(?).

Other quite high interaction: Tigris and Euphrates, Innovation, King of Tokyo, Coup.

Just judging from your list I think it's Space Empires 4X is the game you're looking for. Not sure you're ever going to get Twilight Imperium here.

War Game Tag:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamelist?themeTag=115
Annowme

Post by Annowme »

Eclipse and Dead of Winter would be magnificent additions to BGA.
Strode

Post by Strode »

Just judging from your list I think it's Space Empires 4X is the game you're looking for. Not sure you're ever going to get Twilight Imperium here.
A space wargame with hidden movement, but even then, I'm guessing the OP might not like it because it's older. Feels even older than it is (and I like it a lot).

Regardless, people have different perceptions of what is exciting.
marcnelsonjr

Post by marcnelsonjr »

Check out *- they've got a bunch of excellent wargames in a great implementation. Many are block wargames, which provide both direct conflict AND hidden movement!

*moderator edit: please refrain from naming or linking to other gaming platforms
marcnelsonjr

Post by marcnelsonjr »

But I agree - I would love to see more conflict-oriented games on here. There are SO many excellent wargames that are currently only playable on clunkly old implementations like *.

And I'll second the above poster who recommended Space Empires 4X - check it out!

moderator edit: please refrain from posting about tother platforms
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

If someone were to ask you what games on bga are the most exciting what would your answer be?

Return to “Discussions”