Theory of good sportsmanship.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Miss game play

Re: Theory of good sportsmanship.

Post by Miss game play »

i go for each player untill one player is very high in scoring, low scoring makes no difference who leads

or if i attack a person on a lower score it's possible i know they have the only card i need so it helps me to get in to the lead.

if people are just retaliating i block and move on. if its very early in the game and it's obvious there working together i have no bother in quitting to get there hit for the day and i will be happy never seeing them again
posantos

Post by posantos »

I would add:

1) A leading player can be avoided to be blocked/robbed strategically because the blocker/robber thinks that leader is likely to lose more cards in the next few turns by having more than 7 and someone roll a 7.

2) Asking opponents the classic "why are you blocking/robbing me when i'm not a threat" can also be used strategically, even if you know there can be a logical answer to that, just as a diplomatic tool to make them change their focus to the players you want to be attacked according to your interest.

So you might not know the real reason someone attacks/blocks someone else, and you also might not know the real reason someone looks inquisitive in the chat. If no one violates any rule, don't assume they are not logical, wise, smart or a sportsman.
jota1983

Post by jota1983 »

HerrVatter wrote: 28 December 2023, 05:04 Emotionally, I see where all of you are coming from. And of course it's annoying, if you suffer from other player's (seemingly) irrational moves. But, as far as I know, BGA doen't allow moves, that aren't allowed in the Catan rulebook. so, basically, imho - every move is legit.
Couldn't agree more. I think that the limit is when 2 or more players consciously play toghether in detriment of another one.

And I don't see the point of making CATAN a winner takes all game. It's a race to 10 point and 2nd is better than 3rd, so it seems logical to award different points to different finishing positions.

And this is because if you decide to play for 2nd, you are kind of giving up before the game is over and maybe you actually had a chance to win, so it's not always a clever decision.
SadPuffin

Post by SadPuffin »

Catan is a social game. It is primarily a game of chance and strategy, but there is a social element built into the gameplay as well. If you put the robber on someone five times in a row, they could very well target you next chance they get, even if you are losing by a lot. So perhaps you will think twice before ganging up on someone, even if they are in the lead. Or perhaps it's worth it to take that risk.

Trying not to piss people off is a legitimate part of the game. And so, unpopular opinion: petty revenge is fair play.

Sure, if you are playing poorly or against your own interests for no reason whatsoever (say you're bored, drunk, or trying to end the game sooner) then yes that would be bad sportsmanship. But if you're attacking someone for revenge, that could be interpreted as a fair defensive strategy to discourage further bullying. That could ultimately help you in the game (or a future game against the same player). Catan is a social game.

Return to “Catan”