When ppl abandon the game which is just about to end

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Sandpiper Nolo

When ppl abandon the game which is just about to end

Post by Sandpiper Nolo »

I was just about to win a game (literally just had to lay one road, and had the resources for it), and another player abandoned it, which meant that instead of gaining 15+ points in ranking, I gained +1. This is a problem with the scoring system. Can we fix it?
Jellby

Re: When ppl abandon the game which is just about to end

Post by Jellby »

No. The player who abandoned got a penalty. You can red-thumb them or restrict your games to high-karma players to minimize the risk of that happening again.
Sandpiper Nolo

Post by Sandpiper Nolo »

Jellby wrote: 20 March 2023, 18:46 No. The player who abandoned got a penalty. You can red-thumb them or restrict your games to high-karma players to minimize the risk of that happening again.
Sorry, are you talking as an admin, or something? I was making a suggestion. You can think it's a bad idea, but saying "no" suggests you're in charge of this (???).
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

I'm not an admin, but I'm pretty sure it's working as the admins intend it, and the chances of it being changed are (in my opinion) practically zero.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

What is your suggestion? As the system is currently designed, this is already "fixed": Anyone who quits a game in progress without the other players agreeing, gets a reputation penalty. You can choose to only play games with people with high reputation.

If you're proposing something else to "fix" this, you could write up what you think should be done as a suggestion (in the same place where you report bugs), and then link your suggestion here.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

This has happened to me before (as well as many others. there is already a thread on this topic). In this situation I don't think a player should be able to quit a game that is over 90% completed and it isn't even their turn. You cannot concede a tournament game so I think this could be implemented.

The "penalty" isn't really a penalty at all. You can easily get your rep back up to 100 after quitting a game. There is a thread about a guy who joins 100s of games and abandons them. Then he returns weeks later and gets his rep back up to 100 within a few days.

My suggestion is that the op should've gotten at least five points. Getting 1 or 0 isn't fair to him and he is the only one being penalized in this situation. When in this situation as the elo leader (the elo leader typically will be winning the majority of games) the other players that didn't quit get points while you get nothing. The player who was winning is the most penalized.

Catan in general is breeding grounds for foul play. In no other game have I seen such low elos. There have been days when I couldn't get a table (not complaining) because I set the table to 65% rep meanwhile countless tables filled with bad rep players. Just in my last 2 two players attacked me the whole game and admitted in the chat to colluding. The other was in arena against a good rep good elo player and the quit soon into the game because I beat them to a hex that they went out of their way to challenge me for. In a 3p game with the entire middle of the map theirs for taking :lol:.
Sandpiper Nolo

Post by Sandpiper Nolo »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 26 March 2023, 16:51 This has happened to me before (as well as many others. there is already a thread on this topic). In this situation I don't think a player should be able to quit a game that is over 90% completed and it isn't even their turn. You cannot concede a tournament game so I think this could be implemented.

The "penalty" isn't really a penalty at all. You can easily get your rep back up to 100 after quitting a game. There is a thread about a guy who joins 100s of games and abandons them. Then he returns weeks later and gets his rep back up to 100 within a few days.

My suggestion is that the op should've gotten at least five points. Getting 1 or 0 isn't fair to him and he is the only one being penalized in this situation. When in this situation as the elo leader (the elo leader typically will be winning the majority of games) the other players that didn't quit get points while you get nothing. The player who was winning is the most penalized.
Totally agree with all of this. Your suggestions sound good to me!

Return to “Catan”