What do people think of conceding the game?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Labyrinthine_Eyes

What do people think of conceding the game?

Post by Labyrinthine_Eyes »

This isn't just about this game, but boardgames in general. I learned to resign games from playing chess because it's a waste of the other player's time to make them perform a basic checkmate. I've played more than 100 games of Azul and I've conceded many of them because I figure the winner would like to play a new game rather than go through the motions and watch the the points add up, but I've never had anyone concede a game against me in this or other games here.

I'm wondering if it's considered poor etiquette to concede or some such. I'm just trying valuing the other player's time.
Last edited by Labyrinthine_Eyes on 23 March 2023, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
ExaltedAngel

Re: What do people think of conceding the game?

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Iirc I've read someone here in the forums complaining about his opponent resigning a game like if it was disrespectful (was something like "it's rude, I can never imagine something like this happining when playing at a table irl").
While I think that is just nonsense, fully agree with you and get mad when someone wastes my time in other games, it means that there actually are people that think that way so that might be part of the answer. Also I believe in most games it's not that easy to be 100% sure the game is over and, even when it is, probably many players are not able to fully realize it.

Moreover, I've always had the feeling that in here most people, unlike you, use the resign function when they are mad about the game (the few times it happened to me was always when I blocked them on Ticket To Ride and they resigned without saying gg) so that might be the general sentiment about the resign option and people (me included now) don't do that because they don't want to give that impression.

Last but not least, I once had a tournament game in which my opponent was out of time and clearly losing, but he was very polite and told me he didn't want to waste my time anymore so I could just kick him out because of time. I didn't want to let him have a penalty given how nice he had been so I suggested him to just resign and he said he wasn't able since it was a tournament game. Not sure if that was a rule of that specific tournament or it's applied to tournaments in general, but that might be another reason, at least in that kind of games.
Anarrima

Post by Anarrima »

Interesting point of view. I have always thought it's disrespectful to conceed the game because
to me, I may be saying to my oponent that the game sucks... and I don't want my oponent to think I don't care about the way he plays.
I never thought I could be saving his time. Thanks for telling me.
I also have a motto in life: never give up, never surrender ! :D
Don't you think it may be cultural considering we're from different cultures?
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

It's pretty normal for abstract games players, so maybe different gaming backgrounds
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Anarrima wrote: 22 March 2023, 22:16 Don't you think it may be cultural considering we're from different cultures?
I think it's mostly different gaming backgrounds, like Shobu said, but in other games I noticed that cultural thing too.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

I think another good point is that abstract game are... Abstract.
So they touch a public which wanna play the game for it's mecanics or gameplay.

On the other hand, a more commun game will have some design, often a story behind it.
And so people playing those could play more to have fun, to successfully manage to do a beautiful train network.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Romain672 wrote: 23 March 2023, 13:15 which wanna play the game for it's mecanics or gameplay.

I guess I'm one of them ;-)
There is an arc of tension in every game. I may have a strategy in mind and want to see how it works. So it might be disappointing for me if an opponent then gives up. Generally, I prefer to play my games till the end - winning or loosing. But in other cases, depending on the type of game and the predictability of the winner, it might be okay for me if someone quits before finish.

Are there really people who play just for the sake of winning? Aren't they interested in the course of the game?
Labyrinthine_Eyes wrote: 22 March 2023, 16:18 I've conceded many of them because I figure the winner would like to play a new game rather than go through the motions and watch the the points add up

Interesting. So you concede not for your own benefit, but because you THINK the other player would prefer that. What about asking them?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I came here to play. I play them all to the end … regardless of how badly I’m losing (which happens often I can tell you).

I don’t think I’ve resigned a match yet, and I wouldn’t expect my opponent to ask to do so either.

I would find it MORE disrespectful, if you wasted MY time, by playing 80% of a game, only to drop out before a finish was concluded.

I’m not here to save time … I’m here to enjoy time.

Play it out, please, if you’re playing me.
dwiawdfi

Post by dwiawdfi »

I have been reported for "leaving", that means for conceding the game.
I enjoy playing if i realize my plans and my strategy is suitable for win. If i made some big mistake at the beginning or if i got bad luck from the beginning, why should i even try? If I concede i fast forward, right, but I pay for it. So whats is the point of reporting people that concede?
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

cigma wrote: 24 March 2023, 03:54 Are there really people who play just for the sake of winning?
I kind of am one of those, I play just for the sake of competing. I don't enjoy playing in itself, I enjoy the game being able to test my (intellectual in the case of boardgames) abilites and then receive a feedback on them, be it a win or a loss. An already lost/won game doesn't test anything anymore, hence is just wasted time to me.

Return to “Azul”