Go Goa Cheater

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
angelahowe

Go Goa Cheater

Post by angelahowe »

Well, I experienced my first proven cheater on BGA. Newbie here (maybe a month), and new to online gaming overall.

I'm not a die hard player, and am not always watching what other players are doing. But near the end of this game, I started watching what the other player was doing. He visited a location I know he could not reach from his starting point without the use of multiple tourists given the dice roll (which he did not use). I asked him how he made that move and his first response was "why do you want to know". Long story short, there is no way he could have made that move, and he did not explain how he could have made the move.

So here I am investigating what to do about cheaters. I have now red thumbed the player as apparently that is the only recourse. But if they know how to cheat on a game, what's to keep them from cheating and ignoring the red thumbs?
robinzig

Re: Go Goa Cheater

Post by robinzig »

If the game interface allows players to do something that is forbidden by the rules, you should raise a bug report. BGA implementations should make it impossible to make illegal moves.

It's possible that you have misunderstood the rules yourself though and the move was possible, so maybe try asking on that game's forum, with a link to the table, before making a report. (I can't help you on this thread as I am not familiar with the game - but on the game's forum you should find people who are!)
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

And I will add there is a good chance that player doesn't know he is 'cheating'.
If you read the rules once, and then are guided by bga interface, you often can not see that something is wrong.
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

Go Goa dev here, please PM me the game link so I can check if an illegal move was somehow possible.

If you can identify which move was made, it would help a lot.
Strode

Post by Strode »

Romain672 wrote: 26 March 2023, 21:47 And I will add there is a good chance that player doesn't know he is 'cheating'.
If you read the rules once, and then are guided by bga interface, you often can not see that something is wrong.
I agree. Even if they read the rules, they'd probably think they misinterpreted something and assume the implementation is correct.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Why is the default assumption that the person was cheating as opposed to there being a bug?
angelahowe

Post by angelahowe »

The developer contacted me and explained how the move was possible - the game is not what I thought.

Return to “Discussions”