Wood Duck

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
zaperok0

Re: Wood Duck

Post by zaperok0 »

Andrewsmile wrote: 17 February 2024, 18:06
zaperok0 wrote: 17 February 2024, 16:44
Hahaha mate I was top 2 but then since those wood duck matches the game became bored to me. It's pointless to play when the other player gets food AND cards with that bird. Additionally I have reached 600 Elo but I quit wood duck games. Since Is pointless to play against it

Furthermore, to beat grassland Is easy. To beat wood duck you are reading 1000 of coments AND you still say is Easy. So you are the only player capable of beating it you are saying hahaha.
Unfortunately, anyone can click your profile, click "Zaperok0s statistics at this game" and see that you have never crossed 600 elo, they give you a nice big graph with a line on it. Players much greater than you and I agree the card needs to be banned, and you invalidated your whole pitch by lying for no reason lol
:shock:
Mate you are legit and I'm sorry I got like 580 or something. Really dont keep track of that I thought I got like 600 haha

Either way. Wood duck Is broken AND should be banned of arena games
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

FirePhoenix138 wrote: 17 February 2024, 00:56 SpaOwner (that reached the 700 elo btw) says it all. Wood duck is strong. But it s the only bird to have that power, and build a descent forest engine. On the other hand, building a strong grassland engine is always OP. And there are plenty of birds to do so. Purple martin, american robin, barn swallow, house finch...

Some complains that you win one card strait with a single bird power... what about spotted towhee then ? 1 food for free, in grassland. But no one complains avout this one ? Pilated woodpecker neither ?

Even first hand wood duck is beatable. It s difficult and need a good hands too. But strong grassland goes over 110 regurlaly. So yeah, stop changing the game, and start changing your play. With a large number of game, Wood duck impact is balanced.
Spotted Towhee and Pileated Woodpecker can be brutal, but they don't give 1 card victories like opening a Wood Duck will. Wood Duck can be drawn solo and draw into everything else. Those other cards you mention still need good cards to group with to make an engine. While what you end up drawing will still factor into your Wood Duck score just like everyone else, the sheer number of cards a Wood Duck can pull through use of the forest makes good cards more probable than it is for other birds, in addition to the eventually large food quantity helping make more birds effective.
Madlaine

Post by Madlaine »

It's a shame we can't have precise statistics such as winrate by card, but i'm actually pretty sure spotted towee is as high as wood duck.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

Madlaine wrote: 18 February 2024, 10:08 It's a shame we can't have precise statistics such as winrate by card, but i'm actually pretty sure spotted towee is as high as wood duck.
Someone ran the stats and the Wood Duck was some way ahead:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 64#p151064
Zibest7

Post by Zibest7 »

Dont understand how any high elo player can defend the wood duck (talking about you spaowner and firephoenix XD). If combined with a pilatead or chipping i score between 110 and 130 points (always). I have to run a crazy grass engine to match that. Also mockingbird and dove is powerhouse with wood duck. Wood duck can be countered a little with hummingbird/phoebe and tuck birds in grass but if you dont have that or wood duck player plays anti grass bird (even without chipping or pilatead) the game is done. For crazy grass engines you atleast have the golden eye, yellow billed and others to counter it. I know 100% sure that wood duck have the highest average winrate in the game (without the 4 birds that already are banned often) and BGA should have this statistics. If it was me the wood duck got added to the strong birds list today (tweaking it where a player only gets one card instead of 2 when activating it would also be fine but think BGA would never do that)

When i get the wood duck it is just not fun to play the game because i know i am going to win without even doing my best and i think thats pretty bad

Ps: @spa owner we only played 1 game against each other. In that game you got wood duck with chipping sparrow and mockinbird lol, you did apologie in that game. Think it was quarter or semifinal in an tournament. It could have been such a good game but instead you got a free win. This specific example is exactly what i mean
detlefchef11

Post by detlefchef11 »

I'm about certain that I haven't lost a game where I got the wood duck down even as late as mid 2nd round. By the same token, I think I win 10-20% of the games when I face it (played in the forest) and those games are usually do the person either not exploiting it like they should or just getting incredibly unlucky with the cards they draw the rest of the game. But, in the hands of even a good (but not necc. great) player, I expect to lose and usually do.
smallman

Post by smallman »

agreed, should be banned. A voting poll seems wise, if this forum supports it
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

smallman wrote: 19 March 2024, 06:39 agreed, should be banned. A voting poll seems wise, if this forum supports it
paramesis wrote: 27 December 2023, 15:34
zaperok0 wrote: 26 December 2023, 17:18 Before the new format for next season begins I have added the Wood duck ban additionally. I think at the end most of us agree that wood duck Is too powerful and should be banned. Hope you guys vote and we ban it.
I should clarify that the arena format vote involving Wood Duck would not automatically result in this change being implemented. It would need to be programmed manually. I have reached out to Stonemaier Games, who have taken the position that adding Wood Duck to the "Power 4" would be worth trying as an additional option under "Remove Powerful Birds" if a majority of the community feels it would be an improvement. However, Jamey has reiterated his earlier statement that this should not be seen as an evolving "banlist" and has asked me not to use the word "ban" when discussing this topic.
I'm a little confused; Zaperok0 referred to a vote but where is the poll? Please provide a link.
zaperok0

Post by zaperok0 »

Mathew5000 wrote: 19 March 2024, 07:07
smallman wrote: 19 March 2024, 06:39 agreed, should be banned. A voting poll seems wise, if this forum supports it
paramesis wrote: 27 December 2023, 15:34
zaperok0 wrote: 26 December 2023, 17:18 Before the new format for next season begins I have added the Wood duck ban additionally. I think at the end most of us agree that wood duck Is too powerful and should be banned. Hope you guys vote and we ban it.
I should clarify that the arena format vote involving Wood Duck would not automatically result in this change being implemented. It would need to be programmed manually. I have reached out to Stonemaier Games, who have taken the position that adding Wood Duck to the "Power 4" would be worth trying as an additional option under "Remove Powerful Birds" if a majority of the community feels it would be an improvement. However, Jamey has reiterated his earlier statement that this should not be seen as an evolving "banlist" and has asked me not to use the word "ban" when discussing this topic.
I'm a little confused; Zaperok0 referred to a vote but where is the poll? Please provide a link.
I think you can only vote if you are a wingspan guru, which you get when playing a lot of games. Despite that, this is the link for the poll https://boardgamearena.com/arenasuggestions?game=1635

Hope we get the game balanced, since we all know how powerful that bird Is.
zaperok0

Post by zaperok0 »

This is for those who say that wood duck is weak

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=492298110

Has anybody completed the whole board before? I don't think so. And this can only be done with wood duck. So broken card.

Return to “Wingspan”