Wood Duck

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
tonymok977

Re: Wood Duck

Post by tonymok977 »

I think I won against wood duck in some game, so not 100%
I can reach 90+ most of the games tho
SpaOwner

Post by SpaOwner »

While I agree Wood Duck is very powerful, I do not think it needs to be banned in base game. It is only very powerful in the early stages of the game (then it is a paperweight) and does require some help to overwhelm the game. There is counter-play; most good grass engines can go toe-to-toe with duck. Wood duck is expensive for a reason.
zaperok0

Post by zaperok0 »

SpaOwner wrote: 10 February 2024, 02:50 While I agree Wood Duck is very powerful, I do not think it needs to be banned in base game. It is only very powerful in the early stages of the game (then it is a paperweight) and does require some help to overwhelm the game. There is counter-play; most good grass engines can go toe-to-toe with duck. Wood duck is expensive for a reason.
You are very wrong I was at top 2 AND got against wood duck 3 times and as you Would imagine I am in top 20 now. That card is too powerful and like I said to every opponent I face AND I have wood duck. That card is broken AND my 100% winrate proves it
WadeWattsGunter

Post by WadeWattsGunter »

youknowwho1887 wrote: 28 March 2023, 10:28 I think the Wood Duck in the beginning is far too strong and should be banned. I think I almost never loosed with it and almost never win against it when it was played in the first two rounds.
I fully agree, It is the only card that can profit cards outside of the Wetland in the game, and it is the only card I know that I have never lost with in my memory, if you pair it with something that can lay eggs in the Forest you essentially cannot lose. I think it is by far the 5th best card, or best outside of the powerful birds, and needs to be banned, at zero points I believe that it would still be the best card in the game to begin with.
GinerG

Post by GinerG »

Madlaine wrote: 05 December 2023, 13:27 Adding european extension would be a better call. There is pretty of abominations such as Ruff or swan To deal with.
This is a moot point because the developers have already said we're almost certainly not getting any expansions on BGA, but the Wood Duck can be even more powerful with the European cards if you get one of the birds that allows you to trade in extra food at round end. Your point is taken, though. When there are many powerful birds in the deck, they balance each other out better and everyone has a better shot at one of them. So maybe the answer is to include Wood Duck as one of the powerful cards that can be removed, so you're either playing with all five in the deck or none, even though in and of itself it's not as powerful as the other four.
Nahdrav

Post by Nahdrav »

Definitely imbalanced in starting hand as you only need one more resource to play it. Drawing a net positive card in forest while getting resources for said birds gives the player a huge advantage. Please ban.
FirePhoenix138

Post by FirePhoenix138 »

zaperok0 wrote: 10 February 2024, 04:20
You are very wrong I was at top 2 AND got against wood duck 3 times and as you Would imagine I am in top 20 now. That card is too powerful and like I said to every opponent I face AND I have wood duck. That card is broken AND my 100% winrate proves it
Top 20 ?? With elo under 500 ? Please...

SpaOwner (that reached the 700 elo btw) says it all. Wood duck is strong. But it s the only bird to have that power, and build a descent forest engine. On the other hand, building a strong grassland engine is always OP. And there are plenty of birds to do so. Purple martin, american robin, barn swallow, house finch...

Some complains that you win one card strait with a single bird power... what about spotted towhee then ? 1 food for free, in grassland. But no one complains avout this one ? Pilated woodpecker neither ?

Even first hand wood duck is beatable. It s difficult and need a good hands too. But strong grassland goes over 110 regurlaly. So yeah, stop changing the game, and start changing your play. With a large number of game, Wood duck impact is balanced.
zaperok0

Post by zaperok0 »

FirePhoenix138 wrote: 17 February 2024, 00:56
zaperok0 wrote: 10 February 2024, 04:20
Top 20 ?? With elo under 500 ? Please...

SpaOwner (that reached the 700 elo btw) says it all. Wood duck is strong. But it s the only bird to have that power, and build a descent forest engine. On the other hand, building a strong grassland engine is always OP. And there are plenty of birds to do so. Purple martin, american robin, barn swallow, house finch...

Some complains that you win one card strait with a single bird power... what about spotted towhee then ? 1 food for free, in grassland. But no one complains avout this one ? Pilated woodpecker neither ?

Even first hand wood duck is beatable. It s difficult and need a good hands too. But strong grassland goes over 110 regurlaly. So yeah, stop changing the game, and start changing your play. With a large number of game, Wood duck impact is balanced.
Hahaha mate I was top 2 but then since those wood duck matches the game became bored to me. It's pointless to play when the other player gets food AND cards with that bird. Additionally I have reached 600 Elo but I quit wood duck games. Since Is pointless to play against it

Furthermore, to beat grassland Is easy. To beat wood duck you are reading 1000 of coments AND you still say is Easy. So you are the only player capable of beating it you are saying hahaha.
Andrewsmile

Post by Andrewsmile »

zaperok0 wrote: 17 February 2024, 16:44
Hahaha mate I was top 2 but then since those wood duck matches the game became bored to me. It's pointless to play when the other player gets food AND cards with that bird. Additionally I have reached 600 Elo but I quit wood duck games. Since Is pointless to play against it

Furthermore, to beat grassland Is easy. To beat wood duck you are reading 1000 of coments AND you still say is Easy. So you are the only player capable of beating it you are saying hahaha.
Unfortunately, anyone can click your profile, click "Zaperok0s statistics at this game" and see that you have never crossed 600 elo, they give you a nice big graph with a line on it. Players much greater than you and I agree the card needs to be banned, and you invalidated your whole pitch by lying for no reason lol
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Andrewsmile wrote: 17 February 2024, 18:06 Unfortunately, anyone can click your profile, click "Zaperok0s statistics at this game" and see that you have never crossed 600 elo
Only premium players can see statistics, I believe.

Return to “Wingspan”