Cluing 5 as soon they are picked

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Mi-K-L

Cluing 5 as soon they are picked

Post by Mi-K-L »

Hello

On 2-P tables, some people clue 5 as soon they are picked. And spend as many coins as many 5 I pick.

I even saw a budy spent 4 coins to clue 4 fives in a raw!

What a waste instead wait for chop, or eventually get one saved with a color from a playable clue.

Why people do that?

it is not a situation of full coins / need to temporize / cannot discard / 5mc / BP / end of game.
Wreckage

Re: Cluing 5 as soon they are picked

Post by Wreckage »

What you describe sounds generally wasteful. Sometimes there are reasons to clue a 5 early. If you need to save 2-3 cards in a row, waiting until the 5 is on chop might be too late to also save the other cards.

Some advanced players use the convention that an early 5 clue means save every card between the 5 and chop. I don't use that, but I have used a related convention. If they save a 5 one space away from chop, I can discard chop, but then I need to save the next card left of the 5, without my partner needing to mark it. This is logical because the early 5 clue must mean they need to save the next card behind it.

A more common reason might be, if they just discarded a 3 or 4, they might want to clue something just to avoid double discarding the same card.

Return to “Hanabi”