Strategy: How to "beat the flip"?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Leturk

Strategy: How to "beat the flip"?

Post by Leturk »

Hello everybody,

Have you ever had a 7W Duel game where either you or your opponent gets strongly favoured by the flip of the cards?
And I mean a particular kind of situation where both players are looking for resources on the first age and one of the players doesnt get access to resources cards. Thus falling behind on the resources race in the first 5 or 6 moves
Do you have a strategy for such games where the flip of the cards is set against you? How do you guy "beat the flip"?

Cheers!
Grebnesor4

Re: Strategy: How to "beat the flip"?

Post by Grebnesor4 »

The flip is brutal, for sure. Other than having a wonder card that allows a repeat play, there aren't a lot of good options. If I can't go that route, I'll try to open up the board as much as possible in the hopes that there are two good cards revealed
michaelHastriter

Post by michaelHastriter »

I like this question. I think there are a number of ways to mitigate the flip but not always beat it without the help of expansions. In the base game you are held back by relying on the flip. Here is what to do:

*Get what you need for age 1*, not just what you want. But how to prioritize?

Science strategy:

Yellow > Science > brown/gray > blue/red

Point/military:

Yellow > brown/gray> Science > blue/red

Look for win/wins for you and opponent if the alternative is lose/win for you losing. part of this will be looking at what is behind the unrevealed card that may become yours.

Be able to tell quickly if you are going to get something or if your opponent will get it. (odd/even card groupings). Odd equals switch turn order, even equals keep the same. Some things are guaranteed. but less so with expansions...You could always use extra turn wonders but age 1 that is normally a bad idea unless you are player 1 and it is the last turn.

Age 2 and Age 3 have their own issues with flips but there is a bit for age 1 mitigation for bad flips
Leturk

Post by Leturk »

Thank you for your answers! it's helping me to set a better strategy for when this scenario presents its self during the first stages of the game.
I´m keeping in mind for the future the following:

1- Prioritize according to game strategy (military/points/science)
2- Learn the cards by heart in order to be able to quickly estimate what I might find behind a flip
3- Activate a next turno wonder if able, preferably on the last move of age 1 in order to turn the flip in my favor

I´ll post soon some screenshots of games to see how this plays out in the game

Greetings from the south!

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”