Feature request: allow game length to be changed in cooperative

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
foreverTuesday

Feature request: allow game length to be changed in cooperative

Post by foreverTuesday »

My friends and I play cooperative hardback all the time and we'd really like to be able to play longer or shorter games against Penny Dreadful in cooperative as we think that this will be a way to adjust the difficulty of the format (and should be very fun).
quietmint

Re: Feature request: allow game length to be changed in cooperative

Post by quietmint »

There was recently a suggestion about this, but I rejected it since I think it goes against the designer's intent: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=79897
foreverTuesday

Post by foreverTuesday »

That's too bad. I could write you a list of reasons why I think this suggestion should be implemented, but basically I think the point of playing games with friends is to have fun. It would be fun to be able to play cooperative hardback with a higher or lower point goal. If my friends and I were using a physical copy, we'd definitely try adjusting the point goal to see how it changes the game. It might not be as well balanced for difficulty, but it would be fun and I think that's reason enough to implement it.
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

If there was an obvious "way" or clear single "answer" I wouldn't mind implementing it. But BGA is not as flexible as owning the game yourself. The game options are all select-from-a-list, not type-a-number. I can't let you play till any arbitrary amount like 68 points, for example, because then I'd have to include every possible number in the drop-down list.

I haven't seen any common or "known" variants (listed here or at BGG, for example) about how specifically to make Penny easier. Do you have a specific suggestion to propose? The current values I have for game length don't seem appropriate. At 180 points per player, I'm sure co-op mode is not really a game anymore (especially with 4 players = 720 points, you should never lose and probably you'll run the deck out of cards as I mentioned in the other page).

Return to “Hardback”