Dice stats

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Andrew Davidson

Dice stats

Post by Andrew Davidson »

One naturally takes an interest in how the dice are rolling. For example, it's June 44 in my campaign game and so I was alarmed when the German defenders of Rotterdam had a hot streak -- rolling 6, 6, 5, 6.

As these die rolls can be quite significant, it would be good to have some stats. As a model, see the game Stone Age which provides a die roll total, number of dice rolled and the average.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AWHunvaLPm5boMdN8
MarkDey

Re: Dice stats

Post by MarkDey »

Dice stats are available once a game is completed. In my experience, they are generally in line with what I'd expect.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

Please not one more post about dice stats :?
Andrew Davidson

MarkDey wrote: 13 April 2023, 13:43 Dice stats are available once a game is completed. In my experience, they are generally in line with what I'd expect.
I've been playing my first proper game since May of last year so that's nearly a year and we're not done yet as it's June '44. As it's a long campaign with 3 players, I'm keen to encourage commentary and chat to make it it a good social experience as I'm playing with two friends -- Rondom (who's in the league) and Nicky Palmer, who is a veteran hex wargamer. When playing asynchronously, it's hard to follow what's happening as the log is so long and effectively unreadable. Some ongoing summary stats would therefore help make for an exciting and interesting experience. My wishlist would also include a chart of PP output per country and a diary of key milestones like country collapses, alliances, and the like.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 13 April 2023, 21:12 I've been playing my first proper game since May of last year so that's nearly a year and we're not done yet as it's June '44. As it's a long campaign with 3 players, I'm keen to encourage commentary and chat to make it it a good social experience as I'm playing with two friends -- Rondom (who's in the league) and Nicky Palmer, who is a veteran hex wargamer. When playing asynchronously, it's hard to follow what's happening as the log is so long and effectively unreadable. Some ongoing summary stats would therefore help make for an exciting and interesting experience. My wishlist would also include a chart of PP output per country and a diary of key milestones like country collapses, alliances, and the like.
I keep powerpoint diaries. I take a screenshot, put it into the powerpoint file, type some notes about what is happening. That lets me revisit my games and is also the basis for my league diary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlz2JGb ... pcCNGKzbIV).

It would be great to see some good stats that recorded a variety of events in games (some are reconstructable in the end state, such as conquests for the Axis). The problem with dice is its very hard to work out what is useful. The standard model is useless in BGA as rolls are very uneven in their tactical and strategic effect (for an alternative example, in Memoir 44 you can at a glance see if someone has been lucky, and if they have played better from the stats). I think an interesting stat might be how many DRs, DDs, and DEs a player has scored (skilled play converts DRs into enemy casualties but DDs and DEs are generally lucky).

Also as Lunalol's comment suggests you have to be very careful when raising the topic - the BGA community has a small minority of toxic conspiracy theorists who have dedicated themselves to spreading lies about the random number generation, and if you do not caveat what you say it is very easy to be mistaken for one of them.
Andrew Davidson

RobertBr wrote: 16 April 2023, 15:14 I keep powerpoint diaries. I take a screenshot, put it into the powerpoint file, type some notes about what is happening. That lets me revisit my games and is also the basis for my league diary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlz2JGb ... pcCNGKzbIV).
I viewed your tutorials on YouTube and found them to be an excellent introduction to the game. Explanations of this sort seem vital as the rulebook is quite hard work and it doesn't help that the rules keep changing.

A good running summary of the game history and state seems especially important for asynchronous play where there might be days between turns. I'm interested in joining the league but don't want to confuse myself by playing multiple games in parallel. At the moment, I can mostly follow what's going on because I'm just playing one campaign and so can remember its fine detail. But, even so, I recently forgot a convoy in the South Atlantic for a month. They were in transit from Egypt to Western Europe and, even though I was aware of the risk, I forgot to look for them and give them fresh orders and so they enjoyed a long lay-over in Freetown.

Andrew
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Yes, it would be nice additional features. Remember that you do have a notepad in the top right to record messages for yourself.
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

Lunalol wrote: 13 April 2023, 18:41 Please not one more post about dice stats :?
Oh, come on. It is a game that involves rolling masses of dice. It is inevitable that some weird result will happen (Rule of Even Larger Numbers) and somebody will complain about it. Like at least once every week.
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 13 April 2023, 21:12
MarkDey wrote: 13 April 2023, 13:43 Dice stats are available once a game is completed. In my experience, they are generally in line with what I'd expect.
I've been playing my first proper game since May of last year so that's nearly a year and we're not done yet as it's June '44. As it's a long campaign with 3 players, I'm keen to encourage commentary and chat to make it it a good social experience as I'm playing with two friends -- Rondom (who's in the league) and Nicky Palmer, who is a veteran hex wargamer. When playing asynchronously, it's hard to follow what's happening as the log is so long and effectively unreadable. Some ongoing summary stats would therefore help make for an exciting and interesting experience. My wishlist would also include a chart of PP output per country and a diary of key milestones like country collapses, alliances, and the like.
You can replay the game from previous state, and unlike SE4x this one is slow enough to follow. Just click on the log message you want to start the replay from and it will load from that point and play all turns until the present.

Only problem is that if you refresh the page it will start the replay from there again. You can delete the end of the URL, the one that talks about replay from, or find the link to the game from elsewhere.
Andrew Davidson

tarkalak wrote: 12 June 2023, 13:56 You can replay the game from previous state, and unlike SE4x this one is slow enough to follow. Just click on the log message you want to start the replay from and it will load from that point and play all turns until the present.
I tried the replay function to see the moves of my ally, USSR in my current campaign. It wasn't successful because the point of focus on the map doesn't seem to follow the action.

And the log is generally useless because it's so detailed and so it's hard to navigate. And it's so big that truncated and so you can't even go back a single month. The game needs a strategic log which summarises the events of each month.

Return to “Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe”