Remove Dancing Girl from Artifacts expansion or change the power.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Tanjanica

Remove Dancing Girl from Artifacts expansion or change the power.

Post by Tanjanica »

Dancing Girl, an Age 1 artifact, is an easy way to win the game within only a handful of turns (I lost the game on turn 7 due to my opponent playing this card - https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=368871561).

I can understand instant win conditions on higher level cards, like Empiricism, which is Age 8, but to be able to finish the game before you've even melded all 5 colours seems ridiculous and ruins the whole expansion (I hope it never comes to Arena).

If you have a quick start, your opponent can easily win by digging up this one card and then melding and compelling.

I don't know if there are any official rulings on this, I can't see any, but please could you change the text so that it gives an achievement or something not game-ending?

I've posted this as a bug report / suggestion, too - https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=86755

More info about this issue on BGG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1582920/dancing-girl
Micah Stairs

Re: Remove Dancing Girl from Artifacts expansion or change the power.

Post by Micah Stairs »

We aren't going to make any changes to the 3rd edition, but the game designer/publisher is aware of this issue and this will not longer be a problem in the upcoming 4th edition!
antimyth

Post by antimyth »

I have the point of view. I hear about the 4th edtion, so I want to add my vote to require a change of it, and many other cards that overpower or highroll. Such as 3 LIQUID FIRE, 6 STEAMBOAT, 7 ELEVATOR. The problem of ELEVATOR is, no matter how much icon you have blow 6 time, you always can't defence it. So if you opponent use maths to jump 7, the tradition way like 3 COMPASS, 4 ENTERPRISE and 5 BANKING can't take effect.
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

I'm sorry but none of us can change cards just because we think they are too powerful! It's not our place to make changes like that.

If you're suggesting we advocate for these to be balanced in 4th edition, then yes, I agree.
Tanjanica

Post by Tanjanica »

Micah Stairs wrote: 20 April 2023, 12:02 We aren't going to make any changes to the 3rd edition, but the game designer/publisher is aware of this issue and this will not longer be a problem in the upcoming 4th edition!
Great, I was hoping this might be addressed in the 4th edition. It really is a crazy card and I have no idea if they did any playtesting before introducing it because it's really really broken, lol. I look forward to the 4th edition if it deals with problems like this.
Pahn

Post by Pahn »

Incidentally, it's only really powerful in 2 player games, IMO. In games with 3 or more players, it's hard to compel everyone. It's completely useless in teams games.
skyblueiscalling

Post by skyblueiscalling »

Micah Stairs wrote: 20 April 2023, 18:11 I'm sorry but none of us can change cards just because we think they are too powerful! It's not our place to make changes like that.

If you're suggesting we advocate for these to be balanced in 4th edition, then yes, I agree.
I respect this position but disagree a little. Other BGA games have unofficial variants as options (see Hanabi) - we could include an option to remove only that card as a yes/no "unofficial variant" option when setting up a table. Appreciate why you would choose not to include this option - but it can be done, and I think the majority of the community here would agree with the implimentation such a solution
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

This option shouldn't be necessary since 4th edition addresses this issue.

Return to “Innovation”